PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which of these Wilfork scenarios would you LEAST like?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which Wilfork scenario is the worst?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The way I see it, there are three possibilities:

(1) A long-term deal is reached.
(2) Wilfork stays under the tag the entire year, possibly holding out.
(3) Patriots trade/lose Wilfork.

Which of these do you think is the WORST case scenario?

OH NO

I picked the first option

I meant that's what I prefer

I'd say trading the big man out would be the worst case scenario. Premier NT's don't grow on trees and VW is one of the better ones in the league. Unless Brace is ready to take over (and from everything we have seen he isn't) we need VW or a position of strength moves to a hole in a hurry. The defensive front 7 has enough question marks, we don't need to go adding one more to the list.

Where's the torn ACL option?

The way I see it, there are three possibilities:

(1) A long-term deal is reached.
(2) Wilfork stays under the tag the entire year, possibly holding out.
(3) Patriots trade/lose Wilfork.

Which of these do you think is the WORST case scenario?
Hard to answer, long term deal that the Pats can live with? and it depends what we would get in a trade. Also with #2 does he hold out or not?

It depends on how much we have to pay him in a long term deal. If its close to Haynesworth I think that is the worst option.

However I don't think any of the options are terrible. The Pats hold all the cards

Hard to answer, long term deal that the Pats can live with? and it depends what we would get in a trade. Also with #2 does he hold out or not?

#1: By definition, the long-term contract would have to be something the Pats could live with (they won't make a back-breaking contract with Wilfork).

#2: That (and injuries) are part of the inherent risk in this option.

#3: Either two firsts or enough that the Patriots felt trading him was better than either keeping him under the tag or giving him a new deal.

Lose Wilfork and suddenly this defense will have the look of an expansion team in its inaugural season ...seriously - Our defense would start looking more like the early 90s Patriots.

Personally I don't think Wilfork is ALL THAT and not worth much more than the franchise dollar he is offered, but he is one of the veterans on defense this team certainly cannot afford to lose - Wilfork is no Ted Washington in his prime but he is a focal point of this young defense.

Last edited:
That was a tough one, but I ultimately picked that he stays under the franchise tag, because then that's all we're going to hear about for the next 12 months. If he's traded the Pats will catch some heat and there will be some second-guessing, but at least it'll be over and done with.

Just my $.02.

I would love to see him extended and on the field more.

Any of those 3 options could be good or could be bad. As I see it, the worst case scenario is that we're forced to overpay him by a ton in a long-term deal, then watch his body break down and we're stuck with an albatross contract. Best case scenario is we sign him long-term to a reasonable deal and he plays up to it. So I voted 1, just because, since it's potentially both best case and worst case.

Any of those 3 options could be good or could be bad. As I see it, the worst case scenario is that we're forced to overpay him by a ton in a long-term deal, then watch his body break down and we're stuck with an albatross contract. Best case scenario is we sign him long-term to a reasonable deal and he plays up to it. So I voted 1, just because, since it's potentially both best case and worst case.

He wanted you to vote for your LEAST desired outcome...

He wanted you to vote for your LEAST desired outcome...

He did. ;)

Was there any tagged player for the Pats in the BB era whose career as a Patriot lasted for more than one season after being tagged?

The odds are not good for Wilfork going by past history...

They could do a Dansby and tag him again in 2011 though

Last edited:
Whoops, I opened the thread and then left it for a few minutes and came back thinking it was asking what was the BEST scenario... so my vote for long-term deal is skewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes