PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which of these RBs are Hall of Fame bound?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which RBs are Hall of Fame bound? (you can select as many as you'd like)

• Tiki Barber

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Marshall Faulk

Votes: 36 78.3%
  • Jerome Bettis

Votes: 31 67.4%
  • Corey Dillon

Votes: 21 45.7%
  • Curtis Martin

Votes: 40 87.0%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I am just elaborating on a discussion I heard this morning on Mike and Mike.

But anyways, which of the RBs in the poll do you think are Hall of Fame bound?

You can select more than one

Curtis Martin Is the most deserving. Then Faulk & then Dillon should all be locks.

Martin, Faulk, Bettis should be near-locks.

Dillon and Barber are probably longshots, with Dillon having the better chance. Of course, if Dillon played in NY and Barber in Cincy, Dillon would be definitely in, and Tiki would probably be the answer to a trivia question.

From NFL.com in total yards sequence (Bettis is not active so wasn't in nfl.com format)

Player............G GS Att Yds Avg Lg Tds 20+ 1st
Cumar: TOTAL 168 166 3518 14101 4.0 70 90 71 725
Bettis: TOTAL 192 xxx 3479 13662 3.9 71 91 xx xxx
Faulk: TOTAL 176 156 2836 12279 4.3 71 100 67 667
Dillon: TOTAL 150 132 2618 11241 4.3 96 82 67 580
Barber: TOTAL 154 109 2217 10449 4.7 95 55 75 489

I think if Tiki makes it; then it is totally NY media bias. Yeah he got 10K yds but he needed to play at least 2 more seasons in my book. He didn't even break 60 TDs. Great personality, great interview; NOT a HOFer.

I am kind of prejudiced against Bettis; although he has the yards to qualify; the only time he actually brought a team to the promised land all he was was the goal line back and not a key reason they made it to or won SB. His YPC is the lowest of the group. But he does top out all the others for longevity 192 games versus 176 for the next nearest competitor. So although I did not give him a nod; I can understand those who do.

Cumar and Faulk I think are 100% LOCKS. 14K yards and 100TDs are tough arguments to find fault with.

Dillon is a little bit of a bubble guy. SBs with NE gives him credibility but unless he plays another season and breaks 12K he may get some prejudice. But he is in the top 10 all time. I think he is a HOFer and voted for him; but can see some folks voting against him.

Dillon is a little bit of a bubble guy. SBs with NE gives him credibility but unless he plays another season and breaks 12K he may get some prejudice. But he is in the top 10 all time. I think he is a HOFer and voted for him; but can see some folks voting against him.

I think he's 14th all time, just above John Riggins and OJ Simpson

I don't think Dillon will get in due to the losing in Cincy as well as his strained relationship with the media over the years.

Martin and Faulk are locks. Longevity and the stats are there. Bettis wasn't as good as those two but he'll get in because he played for the Steelers.

Tiki was good, but not HOF material.

I think these guys will make it:
Bettis
Faulk
Martin
(maybe Tiki)

These guys should make it:
Faulk
Martin
(maybe Dillon)

Bettis played well for a long time. He was a really good for maybe a year or two, otherwise he was just good for awhile. That isn't hallworthy in my book. He will get in due to being a sweet old guy who was a nice story in '05.

Dillon on the other hand was a top back for years. He was a guy you had to gameplan for and worried about leading up to the game. When you look at his stats in Cinci you have to remember that he put them up in spite of having no supporting passing attack to keeps teams honest. He stands no chance of getting in due to the Bengals being so crappy while he was there and his issues while there.

Marshall Faulk is a no-brainer.

Curtis Martin I am a little torn on. He was never truly great but very good (a notch above Bettis) for a long time. He is on the lower end of the kind of players I like to see in the Hall but he makes it.

Tiki... He has been great these past few years. He started slowly, hung around at good for a bit, and developed into great. My gut tells me that for the hall you either need to be great for 5+ years or great for 3 or so years and good for another 7-10. Great for 3 years and good for 4 just doesn't quite cut it. He's closer than Bettis in my mind though.

I think Dillon is a bubble guy who's numbers are on the wrong side of the bubble. 1 more season of 600-1000 yards and 10+ TDs would put him in.

Faulk and Martin are locks. Bettis is probalby a lock too. What he was able to do for a man his size and the length of time that he was able to do it should get him in. I don't know how much a Super Bowl effects a running back. It obviously doesn't hurt, but it seems like QB is the only position that it has a direct effect on. Dillion played too long in Cincy and didn't have very good media relations, as mentioned earlier. Would I say he was undeserving if he made it? No. Would I be shocked if he didn't or if it took him 10 years to get in? No. He put up some good numbers in Cincy when they had nothing else going on, but nobody was really paying attention. I don't know how his New England time will effect voters. When people who are not New England fans and writers think of the Pats during the time Dillon was on the team, his name might not be one of the first that you think of. Names like Brady, Seymour, Bruschi, and Law and the coaching staff come to mind. But while teams had to be concerned with Dillion, his connection to the Pats and a Super Bowl is not automatic when many people think of him. Barber is a total NY creation if he gets in. He has been very good the past several seasons. But before that? Who wants a running back that puts the ball on the ground more than he puts in in the endzone? His attention to fumbling at the end of his career is that only thing that kept him from having more fumbles than rushing TDs for his career. I think prior to his current streak, most people would have rather had Ronde if they had a Barber on their team.

Barber,Martin and Bettis.

Barber could only be considered an elite back for a maximum of 3 seasons. For most of his career he had major fumbling issues. I think it is a slam dunk that he is NOT a Hall of Famer.

How in the world is Corey Dillon a Hall of freaking Famer?

So if Dillon is a bubble player, than Edgerrin James will be too by this time next year?

So if Dillon is a bubble player, than Edgerrin James will be too by this time next year?
Let's see him succeed elsewhere first. Then we can start talking about if Arizona was a worse team than Cincy to be a running back for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes