PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which of these players makes the Patriots Practice Squad?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score

Patriots Practice Squad does not include players on the 53 man roster, players on IR or PUP.

I don't know for sure if all these guys are elligible, if they aren't please feel free to slam me.

Any Philadelphia Lawyers can review the details of the PS here:

http://www.nflpa.org/cba/cba_pdf/Article_XXXIV_Practice_Squads.pdf

I think Lua and Rogers make the 53. I think Richardson goes on IR. Otherwise, I would've put them on the PS. I left Kight off for no good reason except that we have a ton of WR already. Maybe he makes it along with Bam, with an eye toward FA departures in 2008. And all those OL guys make it.

Last edited:
I'm pulling for Hilliard, only because my 8 year old son got his autograph at camp. (Hilliard and Cassell, that was it)

I think Lua and Rogers make the 53. I think Richardson goes on IR. Otherwise, I would've put them on the PS. I left Kight off for no good reason except that we have a ton of WR already. Maybe he makes it along with Bam, with an eye toward FA departures in 2008. And all those OL guys make it.

It would be great if Lua and Rogers made it. We would actually have 4 LBs 25 and under on the roster.
Young kids - Woods (25), Alexander (25), Lua (23), Rogers (if my math is right he turns 24 on Friday)
Time will tell if any of them turn into starters but should really help with the depth.

Future LB forecast
- they add a day 1 LB in both 08 and 09

OLB - Vrabel, Colvin, Woods, Rogers (plus Thomas)
ILB - Thomas, Bruschi, Seau, Alexander, Lua, Izzo

OLB - Vrabel, Colvin, Woods, Rogers (plus Thomas)
ILB - Thomas, Bruschi (one more year), Day 1 Draft Pick, Alexander, Lua

OLB - Vrabel, Thomas, Woods, Rogers
ILB - 2008 Day 1 Draft Pick, Alexander, Lua, 2009, Day 1 Draft Pick,

Concern

I am concerned however that if waived some will be picked up by other teams.

Lua is one who I beleive we will loose

Hard to say of course, but I think Lua is low risk to be picked up. Everybody passed on him for, what, 6 rounds? Is there any startling new accomplishment that makes him more valuable? He did not set the world on fire in pre-season. Perfect PS guy IMO.

I think most people consider Bruschi done after this year - especially if we win the SB.

Hard to say of course, but I think Lua is low risk to be picked up. Everybody passed on him for, what, 6 rounds? Is there any startling new accomplishment that makes him more valuable? He did not set the world on fire in pre-season. Perfect PS guy IMO.

I think Lua is the exact guy Mangini would pick up, NO QUESTION.

I think most people consider Bruschi done after this year - especially if we win the SB.

Maybe you should put up a poll, see what 'most people' think... I could see him coming back in a Seau type of role.

I'm not sure why people think Bam makes the squad over Kight. Kight is clearly ahead of Bam on the depth chart.

I think Lua is the exact guy Mangini would pick up, NO QUESTION.
everyone should stop worrying about the jets, like if they want to get or cast offs big deal they arent the only team looking at our players

Only 10 were mentioned and there are a number of others who could be eligible...QB Matt Qutierrez RB Quinton Smith OL Chris Patrick DL Santonio Thomas DL Kareem Brown..I KNOW there might be space limitations..but I think Gutierrez and QSnith might have a solid chance for the 8.

I don't see Lua making the team or having any problem making it to the ps. He has no value on defense, and on special teams he's slow. Justin Rogers can make the team as the 9th lb. At least Rogers has some speed. I don't fear Lua getting picked up off waivers from other teams because, let's face it, he's a seventh rounder. Other teams have their own guys they want to protect. Lua couldn't even start in college. If the Jets pick him up off of waivers and put him on their 53, then they must be really desperate. The guys I'd worry about cutting are Richardson and Elgin. They've shown promise and have exhibited it in preseason games.

everyone should stop worrying about the jets, like if they want to get or cast offs big deal they arent the only team looking at our players

Due to trading up, Mangini had very few draft picks. He would be

a prime candidate to pick up a couple of our draft picks when they

are cut.

I'm not sure why people think Bam makes the squad over Kight. Kight is clearly ahead of Bam on the depth chart.

Because Bam is still eligible and Kight isn't?

Only 10 were mentioned and there are a number of others who could be eligible...QB Matt Qutierrez RB Quinton Smith OL Chris Patrick DL Santonio Thomas DL Kareem Brown..I KNOW there might be space limitations..but I think Gutierrez and QSnith might have a solid chance for the 8.

Good catch, I would put Gutierrez on the PS for sure. I am not concerned that someone may 'snatch' him up.

Last edited:
I don't see Lua making the team or having any problem making it to the ps. He has no value on defense, and on special teams he's slow. Justin Rogers can make the team as the 9th lb. At least Rogers has some speed. I don't fear Lua getting picked up off waivers from other teams because, let's face it, he's a seventh rounder. Other teams have their own guys they want to protect. Lua couldn't even start in college. If the Jets pick him up off of waivers and put him on their 53, then they must be really desperate. The guys I'd worry about cutting are Richardson and Elgin. They've shown promise and have exhibited it in preseason games.

I like how you think, and agree with you. There was some speculation that Richardson hurt his arm and might be put on the IR though. If that's true, then it would still be ok since he'll come back next year at full strength. He might also go on the PUP list, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes