PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which new Patriots player will be the biggest contributor this season?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which new player will contribute most this season?

• Chris Baker TE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leigh Bodden CB

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • ROOKIES - Darius Butler CB or Patrick Chung S

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Shawn Crable OLB

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Joey Galloway WR

Votes: 10 10.4%
  • Paris Lenon ILB

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Greg Lewis WR

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Alex Smith TE

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Shawn Springs DB

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Fred Taylor RB

Votes: 33 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know a player I did not mention and who is slipping through the cracks is the rookie Brandon Tate - This kid has some pretty good speed and could shock us as the #5 WR,I think he surely will beat out Aiken for the #5 spot.

I pretty much just assumed that, barring an injury to Galloway or Moss, he's going to be IRed once he's eligible to come off the PUP list.

I think Butler becomes starter over Bodden or Springs by midseason to later on - Call it a guess but I think this kid has the talent to make us forget Samuel and Hobbs and may end up sitting one of these two vets we have now once he gets a little playing time and shows his stuff.

Don't forget Butler was voted first team All-Big East in 2008 without recording a single interception.

That doesn't happen by accident. . . .

Don't forget Butler was voted first team All-Big East in 2008 without recording a single interception.

Working out and training with Deion Sanders during the spring doesn't hurt Butler either.

Nnamdi Asomugha type treatment?

I think so.

Damnit.:mad: They better have been right on Vontae Davis because I wanted Butler. Sean Smith was one hell of a consolation prize, though.

Last edited:
Nnamdi Asomugha type treatment?

I think so.

Damnit.:mad: They better have been right on Vontae Davis because I wanted Butler. Sean Smith was one hell of a consolation prize, though.

We got even with your team - Back several years ago in 1997 I wanted Sam Madison badly on this defense to add with Ty law and your team stole him in the draft,Now we get revenge.

I think Madison would have been a great one here.

Last edited:
We got even with your team - Back several years ago I wanted Sam Madison badly on this defense and your team stole him in the draft,Now we get revenge.

I think Madison would have been a great one here.

I long for the days of Sam Madison and Patrick Surtain; that was the best tandem in the NFL and since those guys, we've been mediocre at corner. Reggie freakin Howard. :mad:

We will see if it's revenge, though. I think Sean Smith and Vontae Davis could be special. :D

But I'm sure Butler will be for you as well. There is a lot of fresh, young talent at corner in the AFC East.

Darrell Revis - One of the best in the game already
Leodis McKelvin - Very impressive rookie campaign with the Bills in '08.
Darius Butler - Great cover guy but a little surprised that Belichick and co. went with a guy not know for his physical prowess
Sean Smith - I think this guy was selected to cover Randy Moss. Great ball skills too.
Vontae Davis - Tons of talent, just has to shake his character concerns. Tony Sparano is good at doing that. :)

Last edited:
Davis is younger, bigger, faster, more physical, etc. I think he'll eventually be pretty decent. Smith is pretty awesome--I was hoping we'd pick him. But all told, I'm pretty happy with Butler. :D

Either Springs or Bodden are going to be the biggest contributors, at least if you measure it in terms of the upgrade they represent. Last years WR corps was excellent. Ditto this year with Galloway. We put our best rushing totals in two decades in 08. Taylor just adds to the depth. Cornerback, however, was our obvious weakness, and ended up killing us in several key games. Even worse was our inability to cover the middle of the field, but with Mayo and Guyton--and Chung, let's hope--I see that become less of a problem. Our secondary needed upgrading in a big way, and two established, former pro-bowl vets definitely helps. I like our youth movement, too.

Davis is younger, bigger, faster, more physical, etc. I think he'll eventually be pretty decent. Smith is pretty awesome--I was hoping we'd pick him. But all told, I'm pretty happy with Butler. :D

Either Springs or Bodden are going to be the biggest contributors, at least if you measure it in terms of the upgrade they represent. Last years WR corps was excellent. Ditto this year with Galloway. We put our best rushing totals in two decades in 08. Taylor just adds to the depth. Cornerback, however, was our obvious weakness, and ended up killing us in several key games. Even worse was our inability to cover the middle of the field, but with Mayo and Guyton--and Chung, let's hope--I see that become less of a problem. Our secondary needed upgrading in a big way, and two established, former pro-bowl vets definitely helps. I like our youth movement, too.

It's scary to think what Davis will be able to do if he gets his head on straight. And if Sean Smith can find a true position, I'm confident in his abilities as well (wishing they are the new rendition or Madison and Surtain.)

The thing about this year's corner class is that there wasn't elite talent, but my goodness was there some tremendous players on the board from pick 25 to the rest of the first day. That's why I was envious of what the Patriots did; all the value of this draft was in the 2nd round and you guys acquired four freakin picks, holy cow.

Patrick Chung is a heck of a football player. He doesn't have blarring speed, but he's a very cerebral guy that is often in the right position; just the kind of guy Belichick likes. I'm sure he'll pass his "situational" tests.

I read today in my PFW season preview that the team only expects Taylor to get about 7 to 8 carries a game. I also think he has seriously lost a step. I know the line was absolutely depleted last year in Jacksonville, but Maurice Jones-Drew still produced heavily. Yeah, MJD is one of the league's best, but it was clear that Taylor slowed down last year.

7-8 would seem to say he would the change of pace back. I hope he ends up getting a 60/40 split with him getting the 60%.

Also, Maurice Jones-Drew also had a career low ypc that same year.

7-8 would seem to say he would the change of pace back. I hope he ends up getting a 60/40 split with him getting the 60%.

Also, Maurice Jones-Drew also had a career low ypc that same year.

Oh yeah there's no doubt that the Jaguars M.A.S.H unit offensive line had a huge impact.

60%? Really? What is the percentage you intend on giving Sammy Morris? I actually think he's your best tailback.

You know a player I did not mention and who is slipping through the cracks is the rookie Brandon Tate - This kid has some pretty good speed and could shock us as the #5 WR,I think he surely will beat out Aiken for the #5 spot.

He'll go right to IR I bet. He could possibly be ready mid season, but he's a rookie, what's the point?

He got injured later than Brady and he's primarily a kick returner which is a big difference from an already slow QB who takes a canny step aside here and there.

Last edited:
Have to go with Bodden, he played well on a crappy team.. should play really well on a great team..

I voted Taylor, because he'll be getting plenty of chances and the pass-first offense will lead to holes for the RB.

I HOPE it's one of the DBs.

I have to go with Crable, because it is the only reason I can think of for the distintive lack of bringing in, (and moving out) a pass-rushing OLB. I've said it a million times, I think that Thomas is better in the Middle and he and Mayo would make a great team (sorry Tedy). But who is playing OLB? Woods is awful, TBC is a back-up (at best), do they move Guyton to the outside? I have to believe that BB thinks Crable can do the job.

The season is long. There will be unexpected turns and surprises. This is just June mental gymnastics.

Here's a potential scenario: Al Johnson loses to Dan Koppen and gets cut. Koppen goes down with a season-ending injury, and Rich Ohrnberger beats out Russ Hochstein as the replacement.

Rich could be a leading candidate, then, for a rookie making the biggest impact.

But my money's on Darius Butler. NE's version of Prime Time.

I have to go with Crable, because it is the only reason I can think of for the distintive lack of bringing in, (and moving out) a pass-rushing OLB. I've said it a million times, I think that Thomas is better in the Middle and he and Mayo would make a great team (sorry Tedy). But who is playing OLB? Woods is awful, TBC is a back-up (at best), do they move Guyton to the outside? I have to believe that BB thinks Crable can do the job.

You know what . . . I may actually have to agree with this. I, too, have made a similar observation, but I could go either way. The first real chance we had to see him play predominantly on the outside was cut short by injury, so I don't know if a fair comparison can be made. I can say, however, that I definitely feel the defense was more stout against both the run and the pass up the middle when Thomas was on the inside.

I'm not sure he's better in the middle. For the better part of 07, he was MLB. Then, because of injuries, he moved to OLB and starts making an impact. Last season, before the injury, he was one of their best players. I seem to recall him running over people and throwing Sir Brett to the ground with one hand. Good times.

I don't doubt he can be a very good player in the middle - I just wonder if he's actually better off there.

I'm not sure he's better in the middle. For the better part of 07, he was MLB. Then, because of injuries, he moved to OLB and starts making an impact. Last season, before the injury, he was one of their best players. I seem to recall him running over people and throwing Sir Brett to the ground with one hand. Good times.

I don't doubt he can be a very good player in the middle - I just wonder if he's actually better off there.

I'm definitely on the fence. He made some really good plays in 2007 and solidified the interior. However, you're right about last year. He was playing very well on the outside until the injury. I think this will be the first time that we'll really get to see him on the outside for a full season, barring injury of course.

The player with the best chance of changing the Pats isn't listed. I would have voted for Pierre Woods. If he has a great year, he solidifies the newest, youngest, and perhaps weakest of the Patriot squads.

So he has the best opportunity to make the most important contribution.;)

The player with the best chance of changing the Pats isn't listed. I would have voted for Pierre Woods. If he has a great year, he solidifies the newest, youngest, and perhaps weakest of the Patriot squads.

So he has the best opportunity to make the most important contribution.;)

It just occurred to me that he Woods, in fact, is not listed. Why? OP, why not list Pierre Woods? That would have occurred to me before Paris Lenon, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back