PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which Jets, if any, will the Patriots try to faulk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Ever since the game plan to take Marshall Faulk out of the Rams' Super Bowl offense, it's been an article of faith that BB tries to take away a key player from the opposing offense, and perhaps not the obvious one. That's probably overstated -- one thing BB is not in his game-planning is predictable.

So will that happen today? I'm not sure I see any great targets. LdT isn't a full-time RB. Keller is an intriguing choice; I wouldn't be surprised if the LBs are instructed to whack him at the line on every play. But that likely wouldn't be an extreme form of the plan. Edwards and Holmes both have the potential to be clutch, so there isn't an obvious benefit to overloading on one of them.

Thoughts?

LDT would be my guess.

I don't think the gameplan is going to try to take away one player. Rather, I think the plan is to try to stop the run and make the Jets throw.

LDT would be my guess.

That's what I was going to say also. Although I'm in agreement that taking away the run completely and forcing Sanchez to throw (interceptions) is going to be the plan.

I think you the eaxct opposite, let the Jets run and take away the throw. Personally, I think the combination of Holmes, Edwards, & Keller is better than Sandy and Greene. The strength of the Pats D is the run, I believe that they can limit what the Jets do with their front 7. If they can take away the pass, there is no way the Jets O will be able to keep up with the Pats O.

The difference is that Faulk was a huge part of the Rams' offense in both the running and passing game. In 2001, Faulk had 1382 yards and 12 TDs rushing and 765 yards and 9 TDs receiving. The Jets have no player who remotely is that big in the their offense. Tomlinson plays that role, but far less effective with 914 yards and 6 TDs rushing and 368 yards and 0 TDs receiving.

Why would the Pats key in on one single player (other than Sanchez) when none of them are a signifcantly large part of their offense. They won't.

Another factor is the Pats' personnel. It's one thing to tell Willie McGinest to shadow Faulk, or Vrabel to hit the TE before he does anything else. But who in the current front 7 would you give such a job to? Wilfork and Warren, sure, but they're going to be a little busy making up for the lack of much other health on the DL. Ninko? Maybe, but he's the only healthy OLB. Mayo? Not the right position.

Put everyone in the box and make sanchez beat you..

Sanchez in NE=horrible throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back