2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What has been more tough to get over

• SB against the Giants

Votes: 94 86.2%
  • The Indy loss in the AFC title game

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • the division loss against Denver,where a win we could have hosted the afc title game

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • This year ,because there are bunch of crap teams in the tournament this year.

Votes: 5 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
We all know the game last year was really bitter bill to swallow, espically after watching the playoffs this year.But 05 and 06 and even 08 has ended bitterly .. So I ask what has been the most disapointing for you.

I say Denver. Mainly because that game was the worst playoff performance of BB's era, imho. Even the guys with sure hands were fumbling that day. It was aweful. :mad:

Super Bowl loss. The closer the Super Bowl gets this year, the more I find myself thinking about last years Super Bowl and what might have been. I guess you can compare it to losing a loved one (I know football is only a game) but as you go through your life, every year as the date of their passing away gets closer, the more you think about them.

How close they came to winning it and the method they lost it is what I think about. They scored with roughly two minutes left. Giants have to drive more than eighty yards, the Pats just about sack Manning, he gets away, launches a prayer, the unbelievable catch on the helmet, three drop interceptions on the final drive and Ellis Hobbs man-to-man on Plaxico Burress. It just wasn't meant to be.

Last edited:
I cringe every time last year's SB is mentioned. Time to get over it I know, but my heart and gut haven't gotten that message yet.

Last edited:
SB, clearly. It was the biggest game. It was for 19-0. And the game was over if ***ante catches the damn ball.

Super Bowl loss. The closer the Super Bowl gets this year, the more I find myself thinking about last years Super Bowl and what might have been. I guess you can compare it to losing a loved one (I know football is only a game) but as you go through your life, every year as the date of their passing away gets closer, the more you think about them.

How close they came to winning it and the method they lost it is what I think about. They scored with roughly two minutes left. Giants have to drive more than eighty yards, the Pats just about sack Manning, he gets away, launches a prayer, the unbelievable catch on the helmet, three drop interceptions on the final drive and Ellis Hobbs man-to-man on Plaxico Burress. It just wasn't meant to be.

I think this is a excellent point.. Its when it gets closer I start to think about last year.. If last year say eneded in a wild card round, and we did not have the season we had then well the afc title game would be it for me.. But last season was so unbelievable, when the super bowl is played this year, I will reflect on last year when the whole talk was not about undefeated, but what some cranky old senator, and a reporter who thought he knew the truth about some guy in hawaii that had dirt on us,was more important.. It was like a train wreck when it should have been special... Will not forgive, and cant forget Tomasse, or Spector on what he took as a fan away from our experience...

Last year really took the wind out of my sails for a while, kinda like a gut punch... never expected that outcome, and assante dropping the ball.. we should have won that game.

Not just the helmet, it was the side to the back of the helmet. I didn't realize what a stupid joke it was until about a month ago because I wouldn't watch replays or look at pictures. That catch NEVER happens again.

SB. I'm still in denial... Giants are cheaters! We win if one of the 10 obvious holding plays get called on the final drive. What's worse, cheating and getting punished (spygate), or cheating, winning the SB and not getting caught (Giants). :enranged:

Ok, I'm done.

This year ,because there are bunch of crap teams in the tournament this year.

i hate this question....this and all its forms...

they all hurt, none of them were losses that could be swallowed down and comforted

in 06 we were hit with fumble-itis, which came out of nowhere, and we were also hit with incredibly bad officiating calls, all this after having no running game all year

in 07 we get to the AFC champ. game, with 3 dudes by the name of gabriel, reche, and jabar at wr...2 of cuts and 1 traded for a 5th, and we have a halftime lead of 18 pts, w/ a score of 21-3...in the second half we fall apart, the refs help us along, and we blow a VERY comfortable lead and do not advance to the SB

in 08....we are 18-0, and blow it to an NFC wildcard team, while having to deal w/ spygate

in 09 we get over Brady's loss, then we get over our best defender's loss, then we get over the heard of our defense's loss, then we get over a myriad of other injuries to our defense, and we make it to an 11-5 record w/ a QB we hated in preseason and who never started a game in his post high school career...only to miss the playoffs after we had one of the hottest december's (game wise) in recent Pats history

they ALL hurt

none of the above..........

what hurt the most was knowing the pats were going get thrown under the bus by their coach prior to the pats/packers superbowl.......since then, everything has been incidental

SB, meant way to much and hurt just as much

what a depressing poll!

That loss against the Giants felt like somebody had ripped my guts out and stamped on them.

The other options just do not compare, one single bit.

SB, clearly. It was the biggest game. It was for 19-0. And the game was over if ***ante catches the damn ball.

Don't forget that Merriweather and Rodney dropped interceptions on that final drive also.

Don't forget that Merriweather and Rodney dropped interceptions on that final drive also.
I have no recollection of Rodney's. Wasn't Meriweather's a tough one having to catch is running back ? I haven't watched that drive since "the day" so I don't remember it well. I've watched ***ante's on youtube and since pictures of the stupid helmet catch.

Oh yeah - f*ck you ***ante.

i hate this question....this and all its forms...

they all hurt, none of them were losses that could be swallowed down and comforted

in 06 we were hit with fumble-itis, which came out of nowhere, and we were also hit with incredibly bad officiating calls, all this after having no running game all year

in 07 we get to the AFC champ. game, with 3 dudes by the name of gabriel, reche, and jabar at wr...2 of cuts and 1 traded for a 5th, and we have a halftime lead of 18 pts, w/ a score of 21-3...in the second half we fall apart, the refs help us along, and we blow a VERY comfortable lead and do not advance to the SB

in 08....we are 18-0, and blow it to an NFC wildcard team, while having to deal w/ spygate

in 09 we get over Brady's loss, then we get over our best defender's loss, then we get over the heard of our defense's loss, then we get over a myriad of other injuries to our defense, and we make it to an 11-5 record w/ a QB we hated in preseason and who never started a game in his post high school career...only to miss the playoffs after we had one of the hottest december's (game wise) in recent Pats history

they ALL hurt

I agree about hating this question. It all hurts. However ...

- In 2005 we just weren't good enough. We had no running game and the LB corps didn't recover from Bruschi's stroke (for proof see Monty Beisel and Chad Brown). It hurt more to see us not be as good as we could be than to lose.

- In 2008 we were decimated by injuries but still put together an inspiring season. It hurt that we didn't get a chance to prove ourselves in the offseason (I doubt the Ravens would have had as easy a time with us in Foxboro as they did in Miami, and we could easily be going to the AFC champsionship game this weekend instead), but I am more inspired by how well we did and by the development of young players by Cassel and Mayo than discouraged.

- In 2006 and 2007 we flat out blew it. 2 rings that we should have had. No way we should have collapsed against the Colts after being up 21-3. I don't care how tired the defense was ... great teams just don't blow it in those situations. Same thing with the Superbowl last year. The Giants defense threw us for a loop, but great teams find a way to win tough games, not to lose them.

SB losss by far, tho I'm more bitter about face-guarding.

Last edited:

The game was over many other ways too...so many little things didn't go our way (refs messing up the clock, the Tyree catch, Meriweather & Harrison dropped INTs, just barely not stopping them on 4th & 1...) And even once we were screwed, down 3 with 20 ticks left, Moss almost catches that bomb.

The Super Bowl played out in the singularly most painful manner. I was too young to remember Bill Buckner, but its gotta be on that level. I will never get over how that game ended, particularly given the stakes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye