PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which do you prefer - Jets/Dolphins losing streak or better 49ers draft pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying it would happen, I was just using it as an example that it's truly impossible to get "stuck" with the #1 overall pick.

If we did get the #1 and traded out, we'd probably get at least a future year first rounder and an '08 2nd rounder...and that would be a bargain for the team getting the #1.

Are you saying no #1 this year and then a #1 next year and #2 next year or

#1 this year, #1 next yr and #2 next yr?

Last edited:
1. This isn't the NBA where top picks are slotted with certain salaries. A team and player can sign any contract both agree to. Granted you are pressured to pay what a previous years draft pick in that slot was paid.

2. I would say the overall #1 is the best spot.

3. I see the Pats winning in both instances whoever wins this game. If the Jets win the Niners pick starts to look like a solid 3-5 pick. If Miami wins then the Pats move close to having a chance at the overall #1. I think it's win win.

Personally, I doubt there's ever been a draft where you couldn't have traded out of the #1 pick straight up with another team in the top 10, but it's speculation either way.

And, yes, I agree the top pick gets a salary that is totally unrealistic. Jonathan Kraft has brought up the fact that the owners will push hard for a rookie salary slotting system.

It hasn't been an issue in the past because the top rookie salaries haven't been as unrealistic as they are now... but its already happening.... especially when you see teams expressing interest in trading down but are unable to do so, and the Commissioner going out of his way to let it be known that they MUST pick in their designated spot (rather than "miss" their turn).

I think Brady Quinn could well have been the first player taken but he was not about to compromise on salary (heck, he wasn't willing to compromise on salary even given where he was taken - and look what it got him)

Also keep in mind that there already is defacto rookie slotting - that's not the issue - the issue is Top picks getting salaries that will actually hurt a team in the longrun - especially if a pick doesn't pan out. I think Jonathan Kraft is simply advocating for a system that will take agents out of the equation as they are unnecessary for rookies to a large extent.

It hasn't been an issue in the past because the top rookie salaries haven't been as unrealistic as they are now... but its already happening.... especially when you see teams expressing interest in trading down but are unable to do so, and the Commissioner going out of his way to let it be known that they MUST pick in their designated spot (rather than "miss" their turn).

I think Brady Quinn could well have been the first player taken but he was not about to compromise on salary (heck, he wasn't willing to compromise on salary even given where he was taken - and look what it got him)

Also keep in mind that there already is defacto rookie slotting - that's not the issue - the issue is Top picks getting salaries that will actually hurt a team in the longrun - especially if a pick doesn't pan out. I think Jonathan Kraft is simply advocating for a system that will take agents out of the equation as they are unnecessary for rookies to a large extent.

The NFL will change this rule(rookie slotting scale) AFTER the pats must use this high draft pick.

Actually, Kraft was specifically talking about significantly reducing rookie salaries, not just "slotting".

With the 1st rounder I would go so far as taking a QB just to hold him hostage until someone traded a crap load to get him off our hands.

My point is GMs, most of them anyway, want a Brady or Manning 'face of the franchise'. Thats why QBs get drafted in the 1st round when they are a 2nd day talent like David Carr or Alex Smith or Tim Couch! Or need I go further? So we draft the most popular 'face of the frachise' for 2008 and make one of these GMs blink first.

So having the 1st overall pick would allow BB to make threats like that to 2/3s of NFL GMs. There are many other leveraged scenarios and strategies that are possible if NE is on the clock for 3 months as apposed to fifteen minutes.

I want the Pats to have as high a pick in the draft as possible. They can always trade down if that's what makes sense.

I do NOT want the Fins or Jets to draft the best or second-best talent in the draft, be that a QB, DE, RB, whoever.

I'd be perfectly happy if the Jets and Fins won every game for the rest of the season, except of course their rematches with the Pats and each other.

I'm not scared of Mangini keeping his job. I think he's a young Marty Schottenheimer, whose teams will choke throughout his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back