PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which current player has something to prove this year to Patriot Nation?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which player is most under the gun in Patriot Nation

• Chad Jackson

Votes: 63 66.3%
  • Steven Gostkowski

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Adalius Thomas

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Ellis Hobbs

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Laurence Maroney

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Heath Evans

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • James Sanders

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other player not mentioned above (explain who)

Votes: 10 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm gonna get roasted for this but for me it's Randy Moss. Yes, he had a great regular season but where was he in the playoffs?
My turn. I'll get roasted for this because there are a lot of his buddies and relatives out there, but it's James Sanders. He is the worst DB we have. He can't cover and he can't tackle. I believe that is the job description for a safety. I don't know why all the love for #36 and some of you do for whatever reason. That's o.k. It's your opinion. This is mine. You say BB raves how he has improved. Improved over being 100% terrible to now only 50% terrible is an improvement. He's small (really maybe 5' 10 1/2") and slow. They rate Silva from B.C. a low draft choice because he has Sanders type speed, go figure. At least he made some plays.

I have seen BB cut a guy the next day after he praises him. Watch the films please. Hobbs took a lot of crap on many plays because Sanders was not in position. Every one of the big passing plays on our D in 2007 came in the middle. Ask any major NFL analysist on those facts. I do not believe he had a single tackle in the SB. I cannot recall one play he made. Oh, I did see him watching Harrison trying to break up the "helmet" pass. He had a nice view up close and standing near by like that. He should have had a camera.

Our CB's are taught outside coverage in a Tampa 2 type similar defensive scheme. The middle low is LB responsibility and deep middle is the left safety and right safety (no FS or SS in Patriots coverage groups). Harrison of course did not play in the beginning of the year. It was Wilson and Sanders. Harrison did not have a stellar year either but they hid Sanders as well as they could. Never mind CB, Merriweather starts FS with Harrison in 08.

Sanders, I vote for most likely top lose his starting job in 2008. He has something to prove alright.

DW Toys

Last edited:
While Gostkowski has been pretty good at 20-35 yard field goals the last 2 years,I don't think there is a Patriot fan alive that is not clenching thier teeth and having thier blood pressure rise when an important game is at hand and its a possible 38 yard or more FG attempt late in a close game.

This is basically what I wanted to say verbatim. I can tell you that in college with 4 years of kicking, Gostkowski had 1 game winning kick in the 4th quarter and in his first two years as a Patriot, I can only think of 1 kick (SD playoff game) with the same classification. I may be missing another one this year (Balt?) but the point is if it did happen, it wasn't a last play kind of walkoff kick or anything like that. More likely a middle of the 4th type.

And the superbowl, come on.

Last edited:
How about Matt Light after that atrocious performance in the Superbowl? I can never figure out if Light is really good, or whether the Pats cover up for him a lot with tight ends. Don't get me wrong, he seems like a great guy and Brady obviously loves him, but some times he just looks terrible out there. On the other hand, how could the Pats go 18-0 with a bad left tackle? Why does he completely lose it once in a while?

While I understand Chad Jackson has to show something or be cut, I've already written him off as a bust. I don't expect him to show me anything, so if he does I will be (pleasantly) shocked.

Could not agree more.

He HAS TO BE the Pats most overrated player.

I would say...

1. Chad Jackson

Chad was drafted early in the 2nd round in 2006 and expected to be at least a moderate contributor by now. But he struggled early with injuries and does not seem to have picked up the offense yet. He seemingly has all the attributes you'd like in a young receiver, good height, good hands, and a 4.35 40. Hopefully things finally start clicking for Chad in 2008.

2. Ellis Hobbs

Scorched for the Super Bowl losing play that will be etched in the retinas of Patriots fans forever. With Samuel leaving, Hobbs may have to step up to the #1 CB responsibility. Those are big shoes to fill and he's got a ton to prove.

3. Brandon Meriweather

Drafted with the Patriots 1st round pick last year, Meriweather has played sparingly. Hopefully he can fulfill the expectations of a #1 pick. If he still can't beat out the likes of Bob Sanders, Willie Andrews, and Tank Williams for playing time next year, we're going to know that something is not quite right with young Brandon.

4. Gostkowski

Why BB did not have Gostkowski kick the FG instead of making Brady throw it up for grabs on 4th and 13 in the Superbowl is anyone's guess. BB's lack of faith in young Gostkowski is disturbing... Perhaps he can show something more in 2008 to gain his coach's trust.

3. Brandon Meriweather

Drafted with the Patriots 1st round pick last year, Meriweather has played sparingly. Hopefully he can fulfill the expectations of a #1 pick. If he still can't beat out the likes of Bob Sanders, Willie Andrews, and Tank Williams for playing time next year, we're going to know that something is not quite right with young Brandon.

Say I didn't know we signed Bob Sanders, that's quite a pickup ;)

If people are going to single out Light because of the Super Bowl, why not say the same for Mankins who was the worst player on the line that night and Koppen who was almost as bad?

The big problem in that game was not pressure off the edge, it was that pressure up the middle left nowhere for Brady to step up.

This is tough, because we're talking about some very good players, some of whom have proven themselves in the past. But, here goes for a top five:

Chad Jackson (not yet a very good player): produce or go
AT: Has to be the impact player they paid for
Ghost: Does he have BB's confidence in big game situations or doesn't he? If he doesn't, time to look elsewhere. 4th and 10 at the 35 in the SB in an indoor stadium--we need a kicker who's a no-brainer to get the call, like Number Four always was.
Maroney: Time to show that he's an every game, if not an every down, back. If he doesn't, time to look elsewhere. Brady can't carry the whole load back there.
Seymour: Didn't have the impact that was needed, especially at the end. Sorry, but the coaches have to learn what's left in the tank of this great, big time player.

In general: the O line. Was the SB a fluke brought on my an intense 18 games of protecting the big guy or was it a more ominous sign; ditto for the pass rush and, especially without Asante, the pass D. It got picked apart by Eli Effing Manning on that final drive, for crying out loud!

Last edited:
For the first time in a really big game Mike Vrabel was a non-factor in last year's SB. Come on, Buckey Mike. What happened? Ever since Pittsburgh in 2001, you've been a monster in the playoffs.

My turn. I'll get roasted for this because there are a lot of his buddies and relatives out there, but it's James Sanders. He is the worst DB we have. He can't cover and he can't tackle. I believe that is the job description for a safety. I don't know why all the love for #36 and some of you do for whatever reason. That's o.k. It's your opinion. This is mine. You say BB raves how he has improved. Improved over being 100% terrible to now only 50% terrible is an improvement. He's small (really maybe 5' 10 1/2") and slow. They rate Silva from B.C. a low draft choice because he has Sanders type speed, go figure. At least he made some plays.

I have seen BB cut a guy the next day after he praises him. Watch the films please. Hobbs took a lot of crap on many plays because Sanders was not in position. Every one of the big passing plays on our D in 2007 came in the middle. Ask any major NFL analysist on those facts. I do not believe he had a single tackle in the SB. I cannot recall one play he made. Oh, I did see him watching Harrison trying to break up the "helmet" pass. He had a nice view up close and standing near by like that. He should have had a camera.

Our CB's are taught outside coverage in a Tampa 2 type similar defensive scheme. The middle low is LB responsibility and deep middle is the left safety and right safety (no FS or SS in Patriots coverage groups). Harrison of course did not play in the beginning of the year. It was Wilson and Sanders. Harrison did not have a stellar year either but they hid Sanders as well as they could. Never mind CB, Merriweather starts FS with Harrison in 08.

Sanders, I vote for most likely top lose his starting job in 2008. He has something to prove alright.

DW Toys

There are some validities to your statements, but you are stretching it. James Sanders is not a "bad" defensive back. However, I do believe he is better suited for strong safety.

For the first time in a really big game Mike Vrabel was a non-factor in last year's SB. Come on, Buckey Mike. What happened? Ever since Pittsburgh in 2001, you've been a monster in the playoffs.

Its called A-G-I-N-G which brings S-L-O-W-I-N-G

Ask Bruschi of the difference between 3 years ago and now

Its called A-G-I-N-G which brings S-L-O-W-I-N-G

Ask Bruschi of the difference between 3 years ago and now
You've just described our entire LBer corps. Thomas still has a spring in his step, though. But for how long? Another season or two.

Where could we be with a speedy Mike LB? How about Patrick Willis playing for the Pats? Too bad he ran a 4.37 and 4.38 back to back and was taken #11 last year by SF. If he had been latter in the round we could have taken him.

As players we generaly know what they're about. For me it's aspects of their play they must improve. Maroney needs more consistancy which will more than likely come as youngsters in every sport, unless you uncover a gem, are always inconsistant in areas. Hobbs awareness needs to improve and for me AD's productivity depends on where he plays. I think you get the best of him outside. Given a good run there, I think Thomas will find his rhythm.

Chad Jackson has alot to prove to the coaches if he plays, himself and the fans who are hyped about him next year. He needs a solid season next season and use it as a platform to finaly get his Patriot career going.

Richard Seymour needs a good year next year. Granted his health has been an issue but doubts appear to be growing.

Richard Seymour and Chad Jackson are my picks. but who has more to prove is beyond me. One needs to prove he still has it while the other needs to prove he ever had it.

"Patriot Nation"??? When did you all become the Raiturds???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots