PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which bloodlines will produce the better player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Will it be Mike Pouncey,Casey Matthews or another player who has family inherited skills that I am not aware of?

Would you also take a chance that the bloodlines will prove worthy and maybe draft one of these guys?

Slater has not even an inkling of his father's skills as a pro regardless of the difference in position,if we take one of these guys maybe it could result for the better.

players don't inherit skills through their bloodlines. they might inherit athletic ability, but skills are learned abilities.

I can't wait for the first space born athlete.

bloodlines are overrated. it all comes down to the person.

Steve Jordan's son Cameron!

I hear Jimmy the Greek has some theories on this.

Families like the Mannings,Gronkowskis and Hasslebecks for example say there is something special about bloodlines that not many athletes in families have.

Do you realize how hard it is to get to the pros,let alone 3 members of your family?...it takes agility AND a little help from those around you.

Getting to the draft itself is huge odds...3+ NFL players from a family indicates there is a little more to it than your observations.

While all members of a particular athletic family might not be a HOFer,there is still the difficulty of getting to the NFL.

Last edited:
Devin McCourty > other McCourty.

None of the "bloodline" guys strike me as players that I want. Pouncey, unlike his brother, is not a center and never will be. Matthews needs to get the same "help" as his brother if he ever wants to be anything more than a special teamer. Jordan and Heyward's fathers played in the NFL, but both still have big question marks.

I do like Stefan Wisniewski, but that's more about him being an underrated player than his father and uncle playing in the NFL.

Families like the Mannings,Gronkowskis and Hasslebecks for example say there is something special about bloodlines that not many athletes in families have.

Do you realize how hard it is to get to the pros,let alone 3 members of your family?...it takes agility AND a little help from those around you.

Getting to the draft itself is huge odds...3+ NFL players from a family indicates there is a little more to it than your observations.

While all members of a particular athletic family might not be a HOFer,there is still the difficulty of getting to the NFL.

My point is for every Peyton Manning,Clay Matthews how many sons of great former players don't do **** in sports? I give credit to the individual and not what's his last name is. Having a known last name and coming from an environment where sports is #1 might help you get your foot in the door. Look at Peyton and Eli...you would think Eli was adopted when you compare him to his brother..

Look at Peyton and Eli...you would think Eli was adopted when you compare him to his brother..

Until you compare foreheads and reactions after throwing interceptions and losing:lol2:

Meh.....I'll wait for BB's youngest son.

Just generically speaking. I much prefer a bloodline that covers two generations. It's almost a nature vs. nurture debate.

The children (or nephews) have grown up around it. They've seen the dedication and hours of hard work it takes to become even a mid-level pro, and professionalism it takes to stay in the league. They've even seen the pain of serious injury, or just not being able to breathe without wincing of a bad Monday morning. And all from a very young age, when their personality is forming the most.

Brothers of a pro have, at best, just been exposed to it a few years in their late teens or early twenties, and at best have just hit the genetic lottery.

Last edited:
Just generically speaking. I much prefer a bloodline that covers two generations. It's almost a nature vs. nurture debate.

The children (or nephews) have grown up around it. They've seen the dedication and hours and hours hard work it takes to become even a mid-level pro, a professionalism it takes to stay in the league. They've even seen the pain of serious injury, or just not being able to breathe without wincing of a bad Monday morning. And all from a very young age, when their personality is forming the most.

Brothers of a pro have, at best, just been exposed to it a few years in their late teens or early twenties, and at best have just hit the genetic lottery.

That's my general opinion...i consider having a father as pro more of a bonus in terms of just what to expect,how to conduct yourself and knowing what kind of dedication it takes. I'm not sure on the physical aspect of it...you can have good genes but that doesn't mean a player will have the smarts,mental toughness,desire etc. Peyton Manning is as intelligent and flawless as a quarterback can be and i think that's more a product of endless hours of hard work by Manning rather than having some "innate" ability to be a quarterback thanks to his father.

I would love to see some statistics on players with "good" bloodlines coming into the league and seeing how they do. Then we would know for sure if bloodlines are a worthy attribute when valuing a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes