PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which BIG NAMES don't make the cut???

Status
Not open for further replies.

lillestroom

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I'd like to throw the floor open to all members of the forum. Talk of certain linemen, D linemen, CB's not making the cut are numerous, but I'd like everyone to state right here and now, which "established names" dont make the cut.

As a side, I cant remember that the Pats under BB have ever not suprised us by cutting certain players I'd never have dreamed of. ( The most suprising for me in recent memory was cutting Victor Hobson who I thought would be a perfect fit for our 3-4 when we were already threadbear at ILB).

So...

I see Sammy Morris getting cut. I see Law Firm getting cut. I see Crumpler sneaking through the cut but wouldnt be suprised to see him getting cut before the seasons thru. I see Damione Lewis getting cut and probably resigned. I see Murell going. I see Wheatley being cut ahead of Wilhite (but not by much).

He who gets the most cuts right gets a pat on the back.

Re: Which BIG NAMES dont make the cut???

I think either Sammy Morris or Fred Taylor gets cut, but I have the feeling that BJGE makes it, I don't know why, I just do :)

If Kaczur isn't starting, either at RT or LG, he gets cut. Makes too much for a backup, and the Patriots would probably go with youth at the backup spots.

I see Sammy Morris getting cut. I see Law Firm getting cut. I see Crumpler sneaking through the cut but wouldnt be suprised to see him getting cut before the seasons thru. I see Damione Lewis getting cut and probably resigned. I see Murell going. I see Wheatley being cut
BIG NAMES? These are all role players and except for Crumpler, likely to get cut. Crumpler I agree would be a huge surprise, given that behind him are two rookies..

The most suprising for me in recent memory was cutting Victor Hobson
Hobson was nothing more than camp fodder? He was cooked long before the Jets dumped him. Never made it out of patriots training camp. I think he went to the Cardinals and died there.

For a surprise big-name cut, how does anyone top Lawyer Milloy?

Or Mike Vrabel. He was a trade, not a cut, but he was booted out and talk about a surprise--NO ONE expected that.

Morris, Taylor, Holt, Patten, Wheatley, Slater

None would individually be too much of a surprise, but I see us going young and cutting ALL OF THEM

None would individually be too much of a surprise, but I see us going young and cutting ALL OF THEM

I don't think Holt goes anywhere, especially if WW is on PUP. I think he could do very well with other receivers taking pressure.

In JAX he didn't really have anyother players around him, until Sim-Walkers started to show. He might only catch 40 balls a season, but I still think he could do well :)

I think DL Lewis, STers Alexzandeer, Slater and Woods

Or Mike Vrabel. He was a trade, not a cut, but he was booted out and talk about a surprise--NO ONE expected that.

And the worst part is that they had to trade him in part because of the worthless Afailius.

If Kaczur isn't starting, either at RT or LG, he gets cut. Makes too much for a backup, and the Patriots would probably go with youth at the backup spots.

On any other year, I'd agree with that. But this is an uncapped year.

As for Torry Holt, he looked good (if not great) last year. He may well be a capable no.2 WR.

I would say the biggest name to cut before the season would be Shawn Springs.
And that already happened.

Pats have already had their big name cuts:
Adalius Thomas and Shawn Springs.

I'm more than pretty sure that at least one major player will be cut by the club.

I'm more than pretty sure that at least one major player will be cut by the club.

I don't think the names will be any bigger than Springs or Thomas though.

Really the only name bigger in jeopardy would be Fred Taylor. And Seeing there are two other guys over 30 at his position and depth is the key to the position I don't see this happening.

I guess a name that should be mentioned in this thread would be Mankins though we can't cut him as he isn't under contract.....He is certainly the most likely big name not to be with the team come Sept.

And who runs the football in week 3 when Maroney breaks (insert bone here)? Morris, Taylor and Maroney combine to play 16 games, unless a legitimate RB comes in between now and the start of the season both make the team.

Taylor gets mentioned often here. It is good for Maroney, Taylor and Morris that the opionion that matters is Belichick's. There are those here that would get rid of each of them, perhaps two.

1) Last year, Taylor and Maroney both got lots of reps when healthy enough to play. Morris was always the clear backup at RB and at 3rd round back behind Faulk.

2) Green-Ellis didn't even play when there were two injuries. He is sin't beating out any of the top four, although it is possible that he ends up wasting a roster spot again.

3) It seems clear that belichick has a role for each of our four running backs and no real role for Green-Ellis.

BOTTOM LINE
While Taylor or Morris could indeed end up being waived, the only way that would happen would be if we signed another veteran, which is always possiblea at almost any position.

Agreed.......................

I see Taylor getting cut, but not Morris. Holt is a possibility, but I think he'll stay. We also might see a safety go (probably McGowan if anything, but I don't know if Sanders is completely safe).

BJGE and Damione Lewis are the only ones that I ever considered making the team that I no longer do.

I see Taylor getting cut, but not Morris. Holt is a possibility, but I think he'll stay. We also might see a safety go (probably McGowan if anything, but I don't know if Sanders is completely safe).

I don't think a safety will get cut, we will keep the main 4, because having only 3 is very risky.

Unless of course an elite safety gets cut :)

There will definitely be some surprises from the LB group. Crable, Alexander, McKenzie are all possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes