Welcome to PatsFans.com

Where's the Easy button when you need it?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +506 / 6 / -2

Good thing we're not embarassing anymore. Personally, I'd have just gone with the universally known "Easy" button. Think about it, had they done that, if they screwed up, or negotiations got tough, good times would be just a tap away!

[​IMG]

I'm just poking fun people. In all seriousness I think the idea of giving gifts is stupid to begin with. Maybe certain ceremony's, or celebrations would warrant something of significance being given, like when Nancy Pelosi went to Italy (on our dime) and the officials there gave her, as a gift, her grandparents birth certificates. Something like that has a nice touch to it. My thing is with the idea that you have to give something, just to give something. Who cares? I don't think England needs a fountain pen, or the US needs some book from 100 years ago. Stuff like that is silly, and not necessary IMO. I just thought this was funny cuz it looked like an Easy Button.

Russian media teases Clinton over 'reset' button

Mar 7 02:47 AM US/Eastern
    Comments (21) Share on Facebook

[​IMG]
    An assistant shows the block with a red button marked "reset" in English an...

‘Overcharge’: Clinton Gift Gaffe Sends Wrong ‘Reset Button’ Message to Russia

Russian media has been poking fun at US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton after she gave her Russian counterpart a "reset" button with an ironic misspelling.

Clinton's gift to Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov at their meeting in Geneva on Friday evening was meant to underscore the Obama administration's readiness to "to press the reset button" in ties with Moscow.

But instead of the Russian word for "reset" (perezagruzka) it featured a slightly different word meaning "overload" or "overcharged" (peregruzka).

Daily newspaper Kommersant put a prominent picture of the fake red button on its front page and declared: "Sergei Lavrov and Hillary Clinton pushed the wrong button."
  2. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Indeed. Sometimes "cute" doesn't work in international politics.

//
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

Looks like the button worked pretty well, at least with Russia foreign minister:

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 8 / -13

Looks like the Russians are thrilled to be dealing with such chumps. The Brits are upset with obama's boorish behavior towards G Brown.