PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where's the Beef? We still need DL and OL

Status
Not open for further replies.

p8ryts

In the Starting Line-Up
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Wilfork needs a competent backup that can take regular turns. The OL needs somebody that can create a hole for a back to run through. Generally our line only provides much running room on draws. The previous couple years we ran a few good holes off the "wham" with Graham trapping inside but with his injury and new players, I didn't see that work this year.

I think Belichick has had enough of guys like Gorin. We clearly have 3 pieces, Light, Mankins, Koppen. Although Koppen is a FA after this year. Then we have UFA Neal and also Kaczur. How do they feel about them ?

If they like them and re-sign Neal we have Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal, Kaczur and just need backups and developmental guys. And Gorin and Hochstein are a good start to depth.

OTOH they could let Neal walk and either put Kaczur at OG or even look at him as a backup swingman.

My gut feeling ? We let Neal go, move Kaczur to OG (a lot of people thought that was his best NFL position coming out) and draft a RT. Also, draft a Center around Round 4 to backup Koppen and possibly replace him next year.

Then we'd have :

Light, Mankins, Koppen, Kaczur, newtoppick.

And we'd have Gorin, Hochstein and the C/G draftee as backups.

i dont see us going OL with our top pick this year, maybe in the mid rounds ( like kazcur last year). I can see us taking the right DL in round 1 should he be available. Gabe Watson supposively has been a monster during senior bowl practices and you can never have too much depth on the DL.

Patskers said:
i dont see us going OL with our top pick this year, maybe in the mid rounds ( like kazcur last year). I can see us taking the right DL in round 1 should he be available. Gabe Watson supposively has been a monster during senior bowl practices and you can never have too much depth on the DL.
I think it's the other way around. We have 3 really good DL + a solid 4th in Green. We need depth and potential in our backups. OTOH, the OL starting unit could use some upgrading especially if Neal leaves.

BelichickFan said:
I think it's the other way around. We have 3 really good DL + a solid 4th in Green. We need depth and potential in our backups. OTOH, the OL starting unit could use some upgrading especially if Neal leaves.

Agreed. If we draft a RT at 21 (or even elsewhere on day 1) he could possibly start right away moving Kazcur to G.
If we draft a DT, I would assume it would be a true NT. Since we already have a competent swing DL in Green. I would put CB, WR depth and future RB at higher priorities in the draft.
Maybe the answer at NT is more of a FA issue.

p8ryts said:
Wilfork needs a competent backup that can take regular turns. The OL needs somebody that can create a hole for a back to run through. Generally our line only provides much running room on draws. The previous couple years we ran a few good holes off the "wham" with Graham trapping inside but with his injury and new players, I didn't see that work this year.
Yup, that has been an challenging area to dissect.

Based on limited research - NT: I'm not sold on Gabe Watson (Michigan) unless Pioli sees how to activate his "on" switch. For a late round consideration Antwan Burton (Temple) drew a lot of double teams in the Shrine game, not very athletic, but what I saw and read noted how he played his role within the TEAM very well. Mayock of the NFL network listed Montavius Stanley (Louisville - tired with brain freeze today so everything I type looks mispelled and probably is!) as his 8th best NT candidate, Stanley has the right size and I read one blurb that sounded good. Steve Fifita (Utah) looses track of the ball, he's short and strong, but can't see the action, he's a desperation pick based on the Shrine game.

3-4 DE: Manase Hopoi (Washington) needs another 10-15 lbs, but he looked good in the Shrine game at the point of attack and drew a lot of double teams - he also pushed the pocket well and was one of the 4 DL in the goal line stand that won it for the West (All-Star rules, only a 4-3 on short yardage). Barry Cofield (Northwestern) was also good at the point of attack and pushing the pocket in the Shrine game. Johnny Jolly (TX A&M) was a decent penetrator and fair at the point of attack, he needs more consistency, but he was another of the 4 DL sent in for the goal line stand.

OT: Jabari Levery (South Carolina) looked to be the strongest pass blocker in the Shrine game, but his run blocking is suspect. Andrew Whitworth (LSU) was the best all-around player at OT in the Shrine game. Rob Sims (Ohio State) did very well at G in the Shrine game, he has started at LT for Ohio. Kevin Boothe (Cornell) also looked good at G in the Shrine game and has played OT. Jeromey Clary (Kansas State) looked good at RT in the Shrine game. Eric Winston (Miami) has a bum knee that needs to be checked out, but he reportedly has been consistently good in the Senior Bowl practices. Daryn Colledge (Boise State) has people all over the board on his ability - they all love his attitude - I saw one play where he tackled Kiwinuka, but one to watch as a possible Mankins knock-off inside.

In the 'who replaces Neal and Gorin' debate, I'd move Gorin inside (he's strong and nasty) and put Kaczur at RT with his better feet.

p8ryts said:
Wilfork's backup will be Montavious Stanley DT Louisville 6'2" 320lbs who we will grab in the 4th round, the OL pick will come in the 3rd round. I'm not at liberty to reveal too many names, I know you understand.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots