PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wheres all the June 1st Cuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I havent seen any this year.. or have i just missed them?

Not many. Kirwan at nfl.com has an article on it... basically, everybody has more cap room than they're used to, thanks to the new CBA, so far fewer have to cut for cap purposes. Evidently, there's going to be another big cap bump next year, so a repeat of the effect is in the works. I'm assuming at some point the cap levels off, at which point the inflation will catch up, and people will get stingy again.

(I personally thought there would still be more, and maybe more are coming, but that just goes to show I'm an amateur at capology, at best.)

PFnV

Last edited by a moderator:
Fewer June 1st cuts then usual. But teams will still have to pare down at set intervals. They have to get back down to 53 somehow! And BB and Pioli will certainly be shopping at the cut bin imo.

There weren't any. (None for cap reasons, at least)

Last edited:
Chris said:
I havent seen any this year.. or have i just missed them?

As we all predicted there would be very few -

Besides - why would GMs cut anyone when they can use trades to spread any bonus cap money over two years instead of one?

Bethel and Sullivan effecitvely ARE June 1 cuts...

You know the term "sign and trade"... the key phrase now is "trade and cut"

June 1 cuts have been overrated the past few years anyway (the expectation of what will be available) and even more so this year.

ugh to this thread. I mean, seriously, people. Come on.

Hey now. Just ask certain LONG TIME PATS FANS and they will tell you all that they are going to happen while berating you for supposedly being a bandwagoner for living in California. .. *hears crickets chirping*

As predicted by many people on here... It didn't happen. Mainly because there was plenty of cap space. Next year, though, I expect there to be an abnormal amount of cuts because the salary cap goes up so little next year and I don't believe that teams have planned well enough. At least as seen by some of the ridiculous contracts given out this year.

DaBruinz said:
Hey now. Just ask certain LONG TIME PATS FANS and they will tell you all that they are going to happen while berating you for supposedly being a bandwagoner for living in California. .. *hears crickets chirping*

As predicted by many people on here... It didn't happen. Mainly because there was plenty of cap space. Next year, though, I expect there to be an abnormal amount of cuts because the salary cap goes up so little next year and I don't believe that teams have planned well enough. At least as seen by some of the ridiculous contracts given out this year.

And as I recall you were flamed pretty well, and your football aptitude questioned for predicting it would never happen.

JoeSixPat said:
And as I recall you were flamed pretty well, and your football aptitude questioned for predicting it would never happen.

Actually, I predicted that there would be few if any cuts. I never predicted that it would never happen. Its symantics, but distinguishable.

Last edited:
DaBruinz said:
Actually, I predicted that there would be few if any cuts. I never predicted that it would never happen. Its symantics, but distinguishable.

Just to clarify and confirm... what you said would "never happen" was a glut of cuts flooding the market post June 1st - and that you took a considerable amount of flack for what was common sense then, and has been confirmed as such now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey