PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where will the QBs go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
As usual, this is the question that will shape the draft. 4 of the top 5 teams picking, and 7 of the top 10, need QBs. We could see some overdrafting here of a nature that would help the Patriots. I thought it would be interesting to get people's take on this, not so much about where people think the QBs should go, as where people think they will go.

Please, feel free to discuss.
thcoffee.gif

#5 Arizona Cardinals. Blaine Gabbert,

#7 San Francisco 49ers. Cameron Newton,

thats all i see going in the frist round i think the bills have there QB in Ryan Fitzpatrick he's still only 28 and had a nice year for them. the titans have a new HC who may not want to reach for a QB with the top 2 off the bord and Vince Young is still on the roster, the redskins i dont think mike shanahan is very good at developing young QB's or any QB's

and i see the fish and the vikings going with vet QB's

I think its safe to say that Mallet will not be going in the 1st, or maybe even the 2nd round for that matter.

1-CAR ... Almost certain to have a top-5 pick again in 2012 and, thus, a shot at one of the top two QBs from arguably a much higher-quality class. Meanwhile, they also desperately need elite DT help.
2-DEN ... Fox has said he's sticking with Orton. And, of course, he also has Saint Tebow.
3-BUF ... Gailey has more or less said he's going to ride Fitzpatrick into the playoffs and Nix has said he's focused on drastically improving their run defense.
4-CIN ... If the recent OC change (Bratkowski out, Jay Gruden in) doesn't appease Carson Palmer.
5-ARZ ... What's not to like about Skelton, Hall, Anderson and Bartel? Also likely to be picking in the top-5 again in 2012, so it may not make a huge diff if they don't take a QB this draft.
6-CLE ... Shurmer and Holmgren have said that McCoy is their starter, but they'll be drafting another guy later.
7-SF .... Harbaugh has said that Alex Smith is his starter. LOL.
8-TEN ... VY is apparently gone even with Fisher out of the picture. Collins turns 112 this season. But they DO have Rusty Smith and Bwett Watwiff.
9-DAL ... Romo. They're set.
10-WAS ... Grossman. They're set. No, wait a minute.....

I guess I'm just very skeptical about this crop of QBs and am projecting that sense onto these "QB-needy" teams. I'd be surprised if any of this year's prospects are widely viewed as potential franchise QBs. I'll be equally surprised if more than one or two turn out to be competent 2nd-tier starters.

So, that leads me to be doubtful that more than one or two QBs get taken anywhere in the 1st. However, in the 2nd round, it might be a completely different story with "QB-needy" teams that picked a different position in the 1st round then salivating over trading up to the Patriots #33.

Last edited:
With so many teams fighting for position to draft just a few QBs it makes trading back from their prospective value spots alot more doable. While there very well may be some teams with back door trades worked out for say Brady Quinn or Vince Young, there will be some teams with high seconds looking to trade back up into the first round ala Denver last year. I'm sure will be willing partners, a low first for a high 2nd and a 2nd next year is usually workable for both teams. It wouldnt surprise me to see us target 1 guy in the first round and then open for business as teams scramble to overtake others to get their man. Seeing a guy like Locker going in the lower part of the first in several mocks(Newton too)is going to be too much of a temptation for some team(s). I think looking at a teams draft history helps, Buffalo is known to overdraft guys thats why many have them taking a QB at #3. Same with teams like Washington and Oakland.....and I could see us swapping Oaklands pick back to them considering the CBA, who is available for QBs and rookie cap ramifications. I think you will see alot of "future considerations" included in trades much like baseball this year seeing you cant actually trade players til the CBA is ratified.

As usual, this is the question that will shape the draft. 4 of the top 5 teams picking, and 7 of the top 10, need QBs. We could see some overdrafting here of a nature that would help the Patriots. I thought it would be interesting to get people's take on this, not so much about where people think the QBs should go, as where people think they will go.

Please, feel free to discuss.
thcoffee.gif

I don't think that there is a single QB worth a 1st round pick this year. The class sucks for QBs. If I were a GM and I needed one I'm looking elsewhere for a year and shooting for Luck next season.

But teams are going to get a boner for Cam Newton and we'll probably watch him get drafted in the top 10. Ditto Blaine Gabbert but it will be more justified. Ryan Mallett looks like a Ryan Leaf clone only with a less explosive personality but the same IQ. It also wouldn't be a surprise to see Colin Kaepernick get a look early in the draft(late 1st round even, think JP Losman) with his height-speed combo and decent arm. Someone will think he's got all the tools and the gimmicky offense wasn't the source of his success and take him.

I don't think that there is a single QB worth a 1st round pick this year. The class sucks for QBs. If I were a GM and I needed one I'm looking elsewhere for a year and shooting for Luck next season.

But teams are going to get a boner for Cam Newton and we'll probably watch him get drafted in the top 10. Ditto Blaine Gabbert but it will be more justified. Ryan Mallett looks like a Ryan Leaf clone only with a less explosive personality but the same IQ. It also wouldn't be a surprise to see Colin Kaepernick get a look early in the draft(late 1st round even, think JP Losman) with his height-speed combo and decent arm. Someone will think he's got all the tools and the gimmicky offense wasn't the source of his success and take him.
If Buffalo is smart, they draft Dareus at #3, then trade down from #34 and few pegs and shoot for Kaepernick, let him develop behind Fitz a couple seasons while he learns to read defenses and works on his throwing mechanics, he's worth a second.

#5 Arizona Cardinals. Blaine Gabbert,

#7 San Francisco 49ers. Cameron Newton,

thats all i see going in the frist round i think the bills have there QB in Ryan Fitzpatrick he's still only 28 and had a nice year for them. the titans have a new HC who may not want to reach for a QB with the top 2 off the bord and Vince Young is still on the roster, the redskins i dont think mike shanahan is very good at developing young QB's or any QB's

and i see the fish and the vikings going with vet QB's

I'm with you here. But some alternate routes as well:

If the 49ers go Defense or Vet QB i could see the vikings taking Cam Newton @ 12. I know Mcflabb owns a home in AZ so that is a place he may have lot of interest in. If its mutual, they could take D or trade down. So Gabbert could slip to SF as well.

I don't think Gabbert gets past the Titans. Other than that, who knows. Newton sure didn't help himself today. Can't see SF taking him.

A lot depends on how Gabbert throws at his Pro Day. If he puts on a star performance, he goes in the top 3.

The same goes for Newton, really. He had a bad day today but with a decent Pro Day, teams will ignore the Combine ****fest and draft him anyway. I like the idea of him going to the Titans as a straight-up replacement for Vince Young.

If Buffalo is smart, they draft Dareus at #3, then trade down from #34 and few pegs and shoot for Kaepernick, let him develop behind Fitz a couple seasons while he learns to read defenses and works on his throwing mechanics, he's worth a second.

Like I said, that kinda goes along with the noises Nix and Gailey have been making.

1-CAR ... Almost certain to have a top-5 pick again in 2012 and, thus, a shot at one of the top two QBs from arguably a much higher-quality class. Meanwhile, they also desperately need elite DT help.
2-DEN ... Fox has said he's sticking with Orton. And, of course, he also has Saint Tebow.
3-BUF ... Gailey has more or less said he's going to ride Fitzpatrick into the playoffs and Nix has said he's focused on drastically improving their run defense.
4-CIN ... If the recent OC change (Bratkowski out, Jay Gruden in) doesn't appease Carson Palmer.
5-ARZ ... What's not to like about Skelton, Hall, Anderson and Bartel? Also likely to be picking in the top-5 again in 2012, so it may not make a huge diff if they don't take a QB this draft.
6-CLE ... Shurmer and Holmgren have said that McCoy is their starter, but they'll be drafting another guy later.
7-SF .... Harbaugh has said that Alex Smith is his starter. LOL.
8-TEN ... VY is apparently gone even with Fisher out of the picture. Collins turns 112 this season. But they DO have Rusty Smith and Bwett Watwiff.
9-DAL ... Romo. They're set.
10-WAS ... Grossman. They're set. No, wait a minute.....

I guess I'm just very skeptical about this crop of QBs and am projecting that sense onto these "QB-needy" teams. I'd be surprised if any of this year's prospects are widely viewed as potential franchise QBs. I'll be equally surprised if more than one or two turn out to be competent 2nd-tier starters.

So, that leads me to be doubtful that more than one or two QBs get taken anywhere in the 1st. However, in the 2nd round, it might be a completely different story with "QB-needy" teams that picked a different position in the 1st round then salivating over trading up to the Patriots #33.

In terms of QB I have only two teams as definitely needing one (ARI, MIN) and seven teams as maybe needing one (CIN, CLE, SF, TEN, WAS, JAX, SEA) in the whole NFL. And that's if TEN decides they don't want Vince Young, CIN can't appease Carson, and Shannie gets rid of Nabbie. And Favre retires and MIN decides Jackson is inadequate. In which case Carson and Vince Young will certainly be traded and play for someone else, and McNabb would probably find a home somewhere (he made Santana Moss a 1000 yd receiver ffs). Leaving a maximum of six possible slots for first round QB, and a minimum of one (ARI).

I like Newton. I think he gets drafted in the first round. If I were ARI I might take him. That could be it for QB in the first.

So, sadly, I need to agree with MaineMan, probably two QB drafted in round one. At the most.

Panther: They will most likely get one in the later round.
Bills: Fitzpatrick is a solid qb, but i were to predict they might give VY a try, no cam newton for them.
Bengals: It depends what happens with the Carson Palmer situation between now and draft day.
Cardinals: Yes, they need a qb bad. They went to a playoff contender to a awful team in no time.
Titans: VY is gone and Collins is old.
49ers: Yes they do and they should have picked Rodgers.
Redskins: Sexy Rex.
Vikings: So i am hearing from Favre to McNabb. Yeah right, they need to stay uncompetitive in their division and McNabb is pass his prime.
Dolphins: They are screwed since they lost their second and still want a qb, they will most likely trade down, so they could be picking Mallet/Locker in the first.
Seahawks: Their division is a joke and even Matt Hasselbeck can win their division.

Last edited:
Panther: They will most likely get one in the later round.
Bills: Fitzpatrick is a solid qb, but i were to predict they might give VY a try, no cam newton for them.
Bengals: It depends what happens with the Carson Palmer situation between now and draft day.
Cardinals: Yes, they need a qb bad. They went to a playoff contender to a awful team in no time.
Titans: VY is gone and Collins is old.
49ers: Yes they do and they should have picked Rodgers.
Redskins: Sexy Rex.
Vikings: So i am hearing from Favre to McNabb. Yeah right, they need to stay uncompetitive in their division and McNabb is pass his prime.
Dolphins: They are screwed since they lost their second and still want a qb, they will most likely trade down, so they could be picking Mallet/Locker in the first.
Seahawks: Their division is a joke and even Matt Hasselbeck can win their division.

Or at least kept Shaun Hill instead of Alex Smith.

SF will be fine if they choose to keep Smith, and give him more than 1 year in a particular offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes