PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where Will Shea McClellin Fit in the Patriots Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
mclellin is the 3rd best LB on the team

how and how much he gets used will depend on the formation of the moment

he's better than freeny, that's for sure

watch some tape on McClellan while in Chicago. He does not shed blocks well and does not move sideline to sideline that well. Has some interest as a straight ahead rusher off the edge. decent tackler, if he gets his hands on the player. poor angles taken. not good is pass coverage

maybe BB has a role for him here no one ever imagined in Chicago. but it seems Chi had him for 3 years in 3 different spots, and decided to cut bait on him.

lets see how it unfolds thru camp, but thought it strange they extended him with out him ever getting on the field

watch some tape on McClellan while in Chicago. He does not shed blocks well and does not move sideline to sideline that well. Has some interest as a straight ahead rusher off the edge. decent tackler, if he gets his hands on the player. poor angles taken. not good is pass coverage
maybe BB has a role for him here no one ever imagined in Chicago. but it seems Chi had him for 3 years in 3 different spots, and decided to cut bait on him.
lets see how it unfolds thru camp, but thought it strange they extended him with out him ever getting on the field
Are you taking to account the horrendous defense he was in at all? Putting under preforming players in good defenses and environments works wonders ... SEE: Mike Vrabel, Rob Ninkovich.

Are you taking to account the horrendous defense he was in at all? Putting under preforming players in good defenses and environments works wonders ... SEE: Mike Vrabel, Rob Ninkovich.
lots of mediocre players make for a horrendous defense

lots of mediocre players make for a horrendous defense

Belichick has had pretty good success rehabilitating high picks who didn't live up to expectations elsewhere. Does that mean McClellin will be successful in New England, no, but like Cooper there is a decent chance he good turn into a good player here.

Last edited:
Dating back to McClellin's time at Boise St, I thought he was a down-hill player who was very cerebral and instinctive, but who struggled when asked to defend the edge due to his lack of elite athleticism. He's a smart player with a good nose for the ball, but you can't regularly ask him to play in space, or defend the edge. I think he fits well as a MLB, where he can attack the line of scrimmage or defend runs up the middle. A lot of NE's base D involves just 2 LBs (Collins and Hightower), but when they go into a more traditional 4-3 look I think McClellin will have an important role that fits his skill set. He may even see the field in a hybrid 3-4 look with a shade of safety help in most instances.

RKrap is not one to use logic. He wants so badly to be able to talk football with the big boys, but he never played the sport and knows very little about it.

I remember on the Globe board people mocking Ninkovich 3 years ago and he and his buddies mocked Edelman, referring to the latter as Edelwoman.

No joke.

They're sick.

If you look at Vrabel's stats and then Nink's, you'll be shocked to see Nink's are as good or better in spots. Throw in the idea Vrabel played in an easier era for defenders, and Nink is every bit as good as Vrabel was here.

McClellin certainly has a good chance to excel here too. BB loves the cerebral player, especially at LB.

RKrap is not one to use logic. He wants so badly to be able to talk football with the big boys, but he never played the sport and knows very little about it.

I remember on the Globe board people mocking Ninkovich 3 years ago and he and his buddies mocked Edelman, referring to the latter as Edelwoman.

No joke.

They're sick.

If you look at Vrabel's stats and then Nink's, you'll be shocked to see Nink's are as good or better in spots. Throw in the idea Vrabel played in an easier era for defenders, and Nink is every bit as good as Vrabel was here.

McClellin certainly has a good chance to excel here too. BB loves the cerebral player, especially at LB.

agree about Nink and McC
but you dont have to be a snob

lets keep the focus on the players not posters

btw. he contributed his view on what he saw on tape. no reason to dislike.

Is this the same message board that thinks that we should franchise Collins at $14M?

agree about Nink and McC

agree about Nink and McC

Dude, it's RKrap from the Globe's board. He's a Jets fan and works for ESPN.

Ask WazzuWheatFarmer who posts here as well. He'll tell you.

He's not good people, trust me.

I was a huge fan of his prior to the draft, was hoping the Pats would draft him. I remember during one interview at the combine, they asked him if he watches or patterns himself after one particular player, and he said Mike Vrabel. I think maybe his career projectory could be similar to that of Vrabel's or Ninkovich's. Maybe that's what Belichick is thinking. He seems to find these kind of guys who kick around the league for a bit, maybe even just for one team, and he feels he can get more out of them, and they fit better in his system.

The kid has a lot of talent, wouldn't have been rated a 1st round pick if he didn't. I think he will line up all over the place. Also has a great motor, just won't stop. I think this was a great pick up for the Pats, maybe the most underrated pickup of the offseason.

Also, seems to be a good person, quiet small town kid who was raised by his grand parents, married his high school sweatheart, and loves football. The Anti-Hernandez if you will. I like those types of players.

Is this the same message board that thinks that we should franchise Collins at $14M?

Although the Patriots tend to be very disciplined when It comes to paying players they do make exceptions, e.g.... Revis and Welker, and if Collins wants 90 million they may pay him franchise Money for a season while they work on replacing him. I can definitely see them signing Hightower for 60 million and tagging Collins for one season.

Although the Patriots tend to be very disciplined when It comes to paying players they do make exceptions, e.g.... Revis and Welker, and if Collins wants 90 million they may pay him franchise Money for a season while they work on replacing him. I can definitely see them signing Hightower for 60 million and tagging Collins for one season.

Here you give give the difference at $5M a year. Folks have said that Collins isn't worth $3M more.

$14M is a lot for one season.

But, I agree. The team might very well pay Collins $14M, lots more than Hightower will get for his early years.

He has all the tools..he just went to an unfortunate situation. That said I believe he played with a different defensive coordinator and different position every year in Chicago (or something to that effect )

Belichick can find ways to get guys on the field to excel. Judging how quick they snagged him and his contract tells me they have something in mind already.

Your certainty is compelling. Daggumit, another poor Pats signing.
Please send this tape to the Pats coaching staff so they can lower their expectations about his probably role.

Here you give give the difference at $5M a year. Folks have said that Collins isn't worth $3M more.

$14M is a lot for one season.

But, I agree. The team might very well pay Collins $14M, lots more than Hightower will get for his early years.

I said they might bite the bullet and tag him for a season I never suggested he was worth 14 million a year on a longer deal, and I clearly don't think hes worth more than Hightower. I would like to see both signed for 50-60 for 5 I just don't know if they will sign.

I'm still waiting for you to tell us why Collins is worth 3 million more a season than Hightower?

I said they might bite the bullet and tag him for a season I never suggested he was worth 14 million a year on a longer deal, and I clearly don't think hes worth more than Hightower. I would like to see both signed for 50-60 for 5 I just don't know if they will sign.

I'm still waiting for you to tell us why Collins is worth 3 million more a season than Hightower?

Outside pass rushers are paid more.

Consider what you saying. Your fine with paying Hightower $50M, say
$15M bonus, $2M, $3M, $4M, $12M, $14M salaries. You could add a million year and make the deal $55M.
Under the $55M deal, Hightower would bring home $27M over the first 3 years.

And you ask why we would pay Collins $3M more when you would franchise him and pay his $14M. Jew much would his next contract. Let us say $22M for 2 years. Collins would end up with $3M more a year than Hightower.
============
I like Hightower. I'd be fine with paying him $50M or $55M over 5 years. And we might very well get him at those numbers. However, as we all seem to understand, Collins will cost more. Paying $14M is huge premium if he is worth 5/$50M or 5/$55M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes