PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where Will Shea McClellin Fit in the Patriots Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score

Steve Balestrieri

But perhaps the most intriguing signing was LB Shea McClellin. Because there exists a big question on just how the team plans on utilizing his strengths.

Continue reading...

Steve Balestrieri

But perhaps the most intriguing signing was LB Shea McClellin. Because there exists a big question on just how the team plans on utilizing his strengths.

Continue reading...
No one knows where McClellan will be used. What seems clear, as Steve, says is that he is part of the future. If he works out, it provides insurance for one of Collins or Hightower leaving.

I just like having him. Ideally he is used in junk time. His role is rotation reps and insurance which is fine by me.

I'll be honest.....I have no idea where the hell he will play. Seems to me he can play multiple positions with an equal level of mediocrity- which is fine for a solid backup/spot starter. Hes an OK pass rusher but not great. Hes ok to below average at setting the edge. Hes ok to decent on the inside. Hes not much of a coverage guy. Make no mistake, the distance between him and Collins & High is the size of the Grand Canyon.

BB and the coaching staff MUST see something in him that we don't. Looking forward to see what he can do.

No one knows where McClellan will be used. What seems clear, as Steve, says is that he is part of the future. If he works out, it provides insurance for one of Collins or Hightower leaving.
I hope not id rather keep Collins then High if I can only have one.
However I see no reason we cant both.

This is just a wild guess, but I think BB sees some Bruschi in him, certainly not the career Bruschi had, but the idea that Bruschi didn't settle in until he was finally moved to 3-4 MLB.

Bruschi was mainly a 4-3 DE subrusher and 4-3 OLB, etc, and he was just too small.

McClellin is smallish, but I think pretty cerebral like Bruschi, so he would appear to be a good option at 3-4 WIL. But, I can see BB using him for now just like he used Akeem Ayers or maybe even Roman Phifer, when they weren't in a 3-4.

Since BB likes to be in a subpackage base most of the time, I wouldn't be shocked if they are in a dime a lot with the Rover (Chung/Grugier-Hill?) and an extra LB, one down lineman short sometimes, depending upon the opponent.

Just move him all around, give him different responsibilities and play into his cerebral style.

The problem with McClellin is I remember vividly him being a 2nd rd pojection and moron Ray Emery reached wildly in Rd 1 for him for need.

That's not McClellin's fault.

Throw in the idea Chicago's D was old and kinda crappy in recent years, and McClellin should thrive wherever BB uses him.

Just about all the old boston.com regulars have moved over to patriotsfans.freeforums.net. Rusty is banned over there. Please folks, don't ban him here. We don't want him to try to sneak in there.

This is just a wild guess, but I think BB sees some Bruschi in him, certainly not the career Bruschi had, but the idea that Bruschi didn't settle in until he was finally moved to 3-4 MLB.

Bruschi was mainly a 4-3 DE subrusher and 4-3 OLB, etc, and he was just too small.

McClellin is smallish, but I think pretty cerebral like Bruschi, so he would appear to be a good option at 3-4 WIL. But, I can see BB using him for now just like he used Akeem Ayers or maybe even Roman Phifer, when they weren't in a 3-4.

McClellin is 6-3 260. That is not small for a LB.

Since BB likes to be in a subpackage base most of the time, I wouldn't be shocked if they are in a dime a lot with the Rover (Chung/Grugier-Hill?) and an extra LB, one down lineman short sometimes, depending upon the opponent.

Just move him all around, give him different responsibilities and play into his cerebral style.

The problem with McClellin is I remember vividly him being a 2nd rd pojection and moron Ray Emery reached wildly in Rd 1 for him for need.

That's not McClellin's fault.

Throw in the idea Chicago's D was old and kinda crappy in recent years, and McClellin should thrive wherever BB uses him.

They will move him around as he really isn't great at one thing but functional at many things.

Paying him 3 million a year to be used only in junk time? I don't think so

Well for rotation too on on the rare occasions we use 3 LBs. You ideally never take Hightower/Collins off the field on an important snap but 5 DBs is pretty much the Pats base defense.

McCellin's main draw is he is good injury insurance. If one of Collins/Hightower goes down we now have a capable player able to step in and do a good job. Collins and Hightower both miss time so it is important to have that. Also he can see more snaps vs bad teams if you wanna rest one of the top 1 or one is banged up a bit.

He fits with the path of reclaiming high picks who haven't planned out with their original teams, Belichick usually sees their strengths and weaknesses and tries to use their strengths in roles and keeps them out of situations where they will be exposed for their weaknesses. I would expect much the same with McClellin and hopefully he'll thrive in the role they design for him. I'm not expecting him to turn into Vrabel but I would love to see him become as productive as Ninkovich has become. Actually I will be happy if he plays as well as Ayers did while he was here.

Last edited:
McClellin is 6-3 260. That is not small for a LB.

They will move him around as he really isn't great at one thing but functional at many things.

I think he's closer to 250 and he's very small for a 4-3 DE, IMO.

Just about all the old boston.com regulars have moved over to patriotsfans.freeforums.net. Rusty is banned over there. Please folks, don't ban him here. We don't want him to try to sneak in there.

And we don't want you here. You're more concerned with making friends with other strange men than discussing the NFL and the Pats.

And we don't want you here. You're more concerned with making friends with other strange men than discussing the NFL and the Pats.

Lmao

Who is we?

News flash, he's posted here for quite a while with absolutely no issues, you on the other hand have alienated many people in a short period of time.

Lmao

Who is we?

News flash, he's posted here for quite a while with absolutely no issues, you on the other hand have alienated many people in a short period of time.

Yeah, I am sure his contributions have been really interesting. He's a load of knowledge.

He's some lonely old guy in Florida who is more interested in meeting people than talking Pats. These boards are for talking Pats/NFL, not a social club.

I am sure he's a nice guy or whatever, but he's a drama queen.

These boards aren't meant to be popularity contests or places to boost your self esteem. Well, for most of us, they're not.

Thanks for coming over to get your stray. We appreciate it.

Hey, guys, can we drop the personal drama and just talk shop? Thanks. :)

McClellin is an interesting case. I didn't think he should have generated a first (or second) round buzz, but he does seem like a useful role player. Is that role an end of the line player? I'm not so sure. He could potentially thrive in the interior, but I'm not sold on his coverage. I think he's an ideal backup, but his contract size and length suggests otherwise. Hard to get a good read on him until we see how he's used in training camp.

And that's exactly why NE needs to stretch as much as they can, within reason of course, to keep both. Some seem to be missing the fact that they have entirely different skillsets, and it's when you combine them that they become truly special. Both players are definitely special individually, but it's what they do together that really makes the D fun to watch for me. It sucked that they missed so much on field time together last season, as they both battled things. I worry a bit about High's durability. He's been hurt the past two. He plays through the injuries (for the most part), but it's still concerning. I really hope the team finds a way to keep both players, especially with Mayo gone now.
A strong argument can be made for keeping one over the other.

They should have enough coin but all depends on how much they want to break the bank.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing