PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where will our pass defense rank - With Samuel, Without Samuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Just wondering how much effect Samuel has on this secondary to you in your opinion?

If Samuel Does sign and play this year where do you think we will average among the 32 teams in terms of Defense against the Pass? from 1 to 32?

If Samuel holds out or is cut and we go with what we currently have,where among the 32 teams will we rank regarding Pass Defense? from 1 to 32?

Lets see how much Asante means to you in terms of what he means to this team?

If Asante Signs I say we will be somewhere around 10th Against the Pass
Without Asante I say we will be somewhere around 22nd Against The Pass

I worry about an aging Harrison,Wilson coming back from missing most of last season and a rookie out there against the likes of some of the better QBs we will be facing which leads me to believe Asante is probably worth about 12 spots up the rankings as a member of this team.

Last edited:
Re: Where will our pass defense rank - With Samuel,Without Samuel?

I don't pay much attention to defensive rankings save one: point allowed. So, I really can't answer the questions posed. However, in the category of points allowed:

#1 with Asante
#1 without Asante

Don't get me wrong. I prefer to have the guy in there from game 1 on, but should Asante choose to sit or should the brass choose to deal the guy, I really don't think it'd make or break the D. Let's not forget, Gay and Chad Scott can both play. No, I don't think either of these guys have 12 INTs in them nor do I expect them to put up such numbers, but the D as a whole will get it done with or without Asante.

I don't pay much attention to defensive rankings save one: point allowed. So, I really can't answer the questions posed. However, in the category of points allowed:

#1 with Asante
#1 without Asante

Don't get me wrong. I prefer to have the guy in there from game 1 on, but should Asante choose to sit or should the brass choose to deal the guy, I really don't think it'd make or break the D. Let's not forget, Gay and Chad Scott can both play. No, I don't think either of these guys have 12 INTs in them nor do I expect them to put up such numbers, but the D as a whole will get it done with or without Asante.

I can't see us anywhere near the likes of the defenses of Chicago (if Tank,Briggs return) - Baltimore (still top notch without AT) - or Denver (maybe the best secondary in the NFL) -
and look out for Washington to be a very good Defense as well,Don't be shocked if Washington turns it around on the D this year,Lets also not forget San Diego who looks like they may be even better and San Francisco's D will improve as well with Clements in the secondary.

Its gonna be a dogfight for the top ranked defense this year,IMO many teams have improved - Only Buffalo has been destroyed and has huge holes to fill

I don't know....what did we finish out last year in points allowed? Second best in the league or something like that? And that was without Rodney, Geno and Seau for a good chunk of the season and with both Tedy and Hobbs sporting casts on their arms. With or without Asante, I'm not too worried about this D.

#3 with Asante, behind Denver and Philly

#5 without Asante, behind Denver, Philly, Seattle and Detroit.

I can't see us anywhere near the likes of the defenses of Chicago (if Tank,Briggs return) - Baltimore (still top notch without AT) - or Denver (maybe the best secondary in the NFL) -
and look out for Washington to be a very good Defense as well,Don't be shocked if Washington turns it around on the D this year,Lets also not forget San Diego who looks like they may be even better and San Francisco's D will improve as well with Clements in the secondary.

Its gonna be a dogfight for the top ranked defense this year,IMO many teams have improved - Only Buffalo has been destroyed and has huge holes to fill

I don't think its much of a stretch for us to finish #1 in points allowed, especially considering that in addition to an improved defense we will have an improved offense which should mean the defense will be on the field less.

Pass defense this year will be bottom-half of the league, since other teams will probably have to air it out to stay competitive. Also, this defense is built to just gobble the run.

Just wondering how much effect Samuel has on this secondary to you in your opinion?

If Samuel Does sign and play this year where do you think we will average among the 32 teams in terms of Defense against the Pass? from 1 to 32?

If Samuel holds out or is cut and we go with what we currently have,where among the 32 teams will we rank regarding Pass Defense? from 1 to 32?

Lets see how much Asante means to you in terms of what he means to this team?

If Asante Signs I say we will be somewhere around 10th Against the Pass
Without Asante I say we will be somewhere around 22nd Against The Pass

I worry about an aging Harrison,Wilson coming back from missing most of last season and a rookie out there against the likes of some of the better QBs we will be facing which leads me to believe Asante is probably worth about 12 spots up the rankings as a member of this team.

I hate the idea of breaking out pass defense from run defense. Our run defense is going to be so good, that opponents will feel compelled to attack by air. That doesn't make our air defense any worse, but the folks who compile pass defense statistics will think otherwise.

I always believed that 80% of your pass defense comes in your front 3 or 4 + blitzers. While Samuels would make a big difference I think on picking up extra turnovers the loss of him alone is not going to drop us from #1 to #20.

I mean losing him doesn't mean we play with 10 guys on D. Sure there is a quality drop off from Samuels to Scott; but Scott is still a NFL level CB. So him not playing maybe drops us 2 or 3 spots tops.

More the question based on BB's traditional bend-don't break style; would we ever be ranked #1 no matter who we had?

So I think maybe difference is 3rd rank with versus 5-6 rank without.

I don't know....what did we finish out last year in points allowed? Second best in the league or something like that? And that was without Rodney, Geno and Seau for a good chunk of the season and with both Tedy and Hobbs sporting casts on their arms. With or without Asante, I'm not too worried about this D.
I temd to agree..with all of the talent..I am not all that worried about AS....

Ranked in points allowed, without = top 10
with = top 5

He was four years' of Pats' knowledge, scheme, and discipline, combined with his own natural ability. You don't replace that overnight. If need be, though, you can compensate, if you have the depth and versatility. Versatility just got a huge shot in the arm this year with AD and Merriweather coming on board.

Ranked by the criterion that ultimately matters, will they be the secondary of the super bowl champions?

By likelihood of a championship: 1, with or without.

PFnV

PS: is it possible that the treatment of Meriweather's hammie and Maroney's shoulder heralds a new approach to being healthy through the season? A healthy secondary (an oxymoron in New England) would go a long way to making this among the best units in the league.

Having Samuel cuts off at least a quarter of the field since no one even looked to his side in the last half of the season.....so lets say its 25% better with Samuel than without

Our pass defense has always lived and died on our front seven. If we can pressure and confuse the QB, we will have a strong pass defense. If we don't, we won't.

I still don't know how people think Samuel is this great CB. I think a healthy Hobbs has the potential of being much better than Samuel.

Also, I don't think teams were afraid to throw at Samuel. Look at the Bears' game. Grossman kept throwing in Samuel's direction eventhough Samuel had three INTs because Samuel still gave up a lot of big plays. I don't think Samuel is like Champ Bailey where teams are afraid to throw in his direction.

#3 with Asante, behind Denver and Philly

#5 without Asante, behind Denver, Philly, Seattle and Detroit.

Denver?!?

Their secondary, sure, but even Lynch is old. Their LBs are not excellent by any means, especially without Wilson (Nate Webster?!? Warrick Holdman?!?). Their defensive line even with Moss, Crowder, Ekuban, Lang, Kennedy, Adams, Warren, and Dumervil is average at best.

Even Philly's isn't spectacular, with Considine, Bradley, and Reagor. I wouldn't call it near their 2003 level with Simon, Vincent, and Taylor.

What about Chicago and Baltimore?

Having Samuel cuts off at least a quarter of the field since no one even looked to his side in the last half of the season.....so lets say its 25% better with Samuel than without

Which makes the fact that 7 of his 10 INTS and 14 of his 24 passes defenses occurred in the second half of the season all the more remarkable...:rolleyes:

Don't you just love urban legends.

Which makes the fact that 7 of his 10 INTS and 14 of his 24 passes defenses occurred in the second half of the season all the more remarkable...:rolleyes:

Don't you just love urban legends.

Those interceptions just strengthen what I was saying....I shows why the defense is better with Samuel...but its nice to see that some people are still looking for any reason to be an internet tough guy with their sarcasm....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes