PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where will Cassel be next year at this time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he stays, if he is smart he will understand the situation if he plays well he has a legit chance to get game time next year why risk Brady if he is not 100% give him 5mil guaranteed and chance to have good game time I think he stays with us if if Brady is back and fine he can get traded anyway.

So, MC and his agent are just plain stupid?? Matt is a FREE agent. There is no question that there are teams out there where he could compete for a starting spot, and there are almost certainly teams that will offer him more than we will.

The Pats will dictate where he ends up. I think they'll try to keep him and convince him that he will have a hard time going to another team and learn another system to become their starter. He will see the value of how much he learns in this system and sticks it out. On the flip side, if the Pats don't see a drop off between he and OC, they will not make a pitch to keep him. Apart from the Pats, I can see him being courted by Detroit, KC, Minny.

Depends how he does for the remainder of the season. He's got the feel for playing now and will want that to continue. I think he'll be advised to stay here but like I say, he's got the feel for playing now and if he's given a legitimate chance to start somewhere else I think any player with even half a competative edge follows the opertunity.

Last edited:
Unless Cassel gets really greedy, he is right back with the Pats next season. He knows he has a good thing with them. And they will have more confidence in him. Maybe only a one or two year deal, but I say he stays right here. The fact that he decided to sit behind 2 qb's at USC instead of transferring tells me a lot about his ultimate desire. Frankly, I think he was very happy being a backup #2 behind Brady on a good team, and a solid season this year will solidify him in that roll. Based on his USC actions, does he really have the go-getter mentality of "I want to be the starting qb no matter what"?

I will be very surprised if Matt goes anywhere, even if they win the Super Bowl.
I don't think because a player doesn't transfer it means anything about him. Gutierrez transferred and he ended up third string. Cassel fought for the job and won it. He fougt for the USC job and was beaten out twice by Heisman winners.

He was always one hit away from starting at USC. To say that because he didn't transfer he isn't starter material is silly.

As is the idea that he wants to be a career backup? WTF? Why would he want to solidify himself as a minimum-earning, one-year-deal backup if someone wants to give him starting money with a signing bonus and a long term deal. Taking that isn't greedy. Turning it down is stupid.

Cassel might take a two year deal right now for starters money (2 years, 11 mil, 6 mil guaranteed), but if the Pats wait until March, he'll be a lot more expensive.

I suppose this can be structured so that it works within the cap, but I think a 3 year deal would be needed at some very high salary in the third year, but I do think this makes sense.

Cassel might take a two year deal right now for starters money (2 years, 11 mil, 6 mil guaranteed), but if the Pats wait until March, he'll be a lot more expensive.

If Matt plays decently he will be rewarded with a decent contract by another team. I hope he gets a huge contract:)

I think he stays, if he is smart he will understand the situation if he plays well he has a legit chance to get game time next year why risk Brady if he is not 100% give him 5mil guaranteed and chance to have good game time I think he stays with us if if Brady is back and fine he can get traded anyway.

Remember, punctuation is your friend. :)

Hopefully, not having acl surgery in Los Angeles.;)

Next year at this time? Let's see, 7:09 AM on a Friday..........I'm going to answer: Sleeping in his bed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back