PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where will Brown Strip rank in pantheon of plays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombonneau

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
If the Pats end up winning the SB this year, where will the Brown Strip rank in Pantheon of Pats Plays from the dynasty era?

I can't think of a list of big plays off the top of my head (I recall maybe a post awhile ago ranking plays??) but I'd say it will probably be in the top 5.

I suppose you have to put Snow Bowl kicks up there, and both SB winning kicks. Tough to top those.

I'd say on par with the blocked FG in Pitt, and maybe even Troy's punt return.

Real, real high.

I think Brown is as important as any other player on this team in our dynasty.

In addition to being the guy on offense in 2001, he won the Steelers game for us.

In 2003, he played the superbowl with a broken nose on a cheap shot after the play was over when he was lying on the ground. And he helped in the final drive.

He saved our ass by playing two ways in 2004. This cannot be overemphasized! This was an unbelieveable contribution to our patchwork secondary.

And the strip in the Chargers game! Oh my god!

Funny how nobody called the Panthers classless for doing steriods and breaking Brown's nose. Or should I say, typical?

Yup,he has showed up in big games many times.Gotta love the guy....as BB likes to say "a complete football player".

That play was every bit as important and critical as the "tuck" play. Without either, the Patriot's season is over.

In terms of game changing plays, that has to rank just below the "tuck rule" call by former Patriot Walt Coleman. ;)

I know the Pats have a ton of retired numbers (mostly due to the previous owners trying to generate buzz around a losing team...see Bruins) but they need to permanently shelve #80 after Brown retires. He has done eveything and I mean everything that three coaches and two QB's have asked him to do over his long career. And he's done it with a good attitude. No blow ups in the media (imagine if Bill Parcells asked TO to play DB...:singing:). The guy is the embodiment of the Patriots.

Hats off to Troy Brown. It will be a sad day in the New England area when he retires. Hopefully he will stay on with the Pats in some capacity.

If we find a way to win the Superbowl? Dunno but top 5 fo sho.

This play was easily the best play of the season though.

My mind is still boggling over that play. A big part of that is the fact that the Charger player didn't have the awareness to simply knock the ball down. I suppose he intercepted it out of reflex and thought he could take it upfield, but if that pass had simply fallen incomplete, we probably would've lost the game! So, in retrospect, thank God for Tom Brady throwing an interception!

Last edited:
So many clutch plays by us

1. Bruschi strip
2. McGinest stop on inches to go!
3. Ty Law INTs
4. Troy Brown PR TD
5. Rodney Harrison INT
6. Troy Brown strip

all big plays in playoffs that made a difference(not in order)

Probably higher than willie mcginest's 4th and goal stop of edgerrin james... since this was a playoff game.

If this season does end up a SB run, then it'll rank very high up the list of memorable plays. But at this point it's nothing yet.

If we go out and get beat in Indy, then not as many people will remember that play as fondly. Some will, but it won't be the same.

That said, it was a great play and is one of the many reasons why I love the guy.

I know the Pats have a ton of retired numbers (mostly due to the previous owners trying to generate buzz around a losing team...see Bruins) but they need to permanently shelve #80 after Brown retires. He has done eveything and I mean everything that three coaches and two QB's have asked him to do over his long career. And he's done it with a good attitude. No blow ups in the media (imagine if Bill Parcells asked TO to play DB...:singing:). The guy is the embodiment of the Patriots.

Hats off to Troy Brown. It will be a sad day in the New England area when he retires. Hopefully he will stay on with the Pats in some capacity.

It won't be a sad day, because, like the Bus in '06, it will come at the heels of Super Bowl victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes