PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where was Gholston?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He had a great first half (when our Ballerina RB (LMaroney) was in as the primary ball carrier). In the 2cond half, when BB stuck with the iron of Jordan and Morris, Jenkins seems to fade a bit didn't he? He tires easily, again because of his weight especially when physical RB's start banging it up inside like Lamont.

You're boy Faneca and D-Bust where mauled by Richard Seymour, literally mauled. You were touting this O-Line as the greatest things since the 80's Hogs, what were thoughts on how they performed as well as The Ghost ?

I was not touting the o-line that highly as you noted. They are an improved unit who lost a lot of the battle today. Jenkins was beast first half and middle of the third but wore down a bit. HE definitely is a great addition to our D.

Gholston im going to reserve judgement, I still maintain he looked good week 1, he looked terrible today.

Every analyst says it usually takes 3 yrs to fully evaluate a draft pick so I think its a quick rush to judgement that Gholston will not work out.

According to Lombardi, Gholston relied too heavily in his great athletic ability in college to dominate lesser opponents.

But all anyone would talk about before the draft was the 1 ($21 million guaranteed) sack he had vs Jake Long.

Favre still is a very good QB. What was your take on the fat mess aka Kris "Beast " Jenkins?

He's no Dwayne Roberston, that for sure.

:rofl:

Sorry, I'm enjoying this way too much. It's only week 2.

But all anyone would talk about before the draft was the 1 ($21 million guaranteed) sack he had vs Jake Long.

yea I mean like imagine if someone had like a gif of it;)
VGJL.gif

Belichick had Tannenbaum sold on us wanting Gholston. Tannenbaum and Mangini were so sure of it I don't think they ever considered if Gholston was a good fit for their system. In the meantime we trade down a few spots and get 1 of the the top 5 players in the entire draft ... this move will haunt them for a long time.

Haunt who? The Jets? Yep. Will it haunt Mangina and Tannenbaum? No, because they will be fired regardless of Gholston.

Never should have drafted him to play on his feet. He needs to be a 4-3 end in a 1-gap scheme. Tremendous athletic talent, but asking him to come in right away, as raw as he was, and contribute at a position he has no clue how to play is a recipe for disaster.

This basically sums up my opinion of Gholston as a 34 OLB, and I was saying the same things prior to the draft when some Patriots fans were crying for him.

Yeah, while Gholston has been pretty bad, there still isn't much reason to think that he won't get better. Of course, that's the problem with the Jets, imo: they're trying to rebuild and win right now at all costs at the same time. You gotta pick one or the other, especially if you're going to go and put yourself in cap hell.

Jerod Mayo's first play-by-play contribution:

1st Quarter
3-4-NYJ 26 (~13:00) 4-B.Favre pass short left to 89-J.Cotchery to NYJ 46 for 20 yards (51-J.Mayo, 37-R.Harrison).

Vernon Gholston's first play-by-play contribution:

4th Quarter
1-10-NE 20 (10:18) 16-M.Cassel pass short left to 81-R.Moss to NE 34 for 14 yards (24-D.Revis). Penalty on NYJ-56-V.Gholston, Defensive 12 On-field, declined.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Reiss on Gholston

Hi Mike, where was Jets first-round pick Vernon Gholston during the game? I did not see him on the field at all. Is he not as good as the Jets had hoped?
SB

A: SB, Gholston is a backup for the Jets, playing behind outside linebackers Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas. I'm told by one former NFL personnel man that he has been a disappointment. Gholston did not register on the stat sheet. Officials penalized him for a 12-men-on-the-field infraction in the fourth quarter.

Bryan Thomas looked good the other day and Pace looked pretty good, too. Do they even have a need for Gholston? I really don't like the pick.

Last edited:
He did play because I did see him get run over on a play. So far in two games, he hasn't even recorded an assisted tackle. Obviously it is way, way too early to call him a bust, but you would expect the #6 pick in the draft to make some kind of impact right away. Mayo is making a big one (he led the team in tackles with 7, all solo).

To early my ass. He's a bust.

Long live MAYO!

I was not a big Gholston fan to me he wa sanother mike Mamula. A combine hero and a tweener in the NFL. I was ECSTATIC when the Jets took him on draft day because I thought he was so overrated. Of course it is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to pass judgement but the early returns are not great. Time will tell.

Belichick had Tannenbaum sold on us wanting Gholston. Tannenbaum and Mangini were so sure of it I don't think they ever considered if Gholston was a good fit for their system. In the meantime we trade down a few spots and get 1 of the the top 5 players in the entire draft ... this move will haunt them for a long time.

You are exactly right! This is the second time in recent memory that the Pats feigned interest in a player, and RatGenius bit and drafted the player. School me once, shame on your school me twice...........................

I mean, it is too early to call the guy a bust, but reports were that he sucked in the preseason, and had the makings of a bust, so now with 2 "real" games under his belt, it would appear he's not off to a good start at all. By contrast, Mayo is and has looked SWEET!

Reiss on Gholston

Bryan Thomas looked good the other day and Pace looked pretty good, too. Do they even have a need for Gholston? I really don't like the pick.

also i think they didn't need gholston...they thought pats wanted him and so...:D
i think he is not a bust and he doesn't have a lot of a problems to shift from DE to OLB but they have good players in olb now....

also i think they didn't need gholston...they thought pats wanted him and so...:D
i think he is not a bust and he doesn't have a lot of a problems to shift from DE to OLB but they have good players in olb now....

I forget which magazine is the War Room scouts, but whichever they are, they released before all the Combine hoopla when Gholston's stock went through the roof. They had Gholston as a "2nd round" talent and had him going late 2nd round I think. They had Groves ahead of them. Time will tell, but my preference was always w Groves.

It's early, but the more you look at him, to this point, I know it's early, the more and more he looks like Aundray Bruce. Couldn't happen to a better team :)

Last edited by a moderator:
and to think i was hoping this guy would slip to the pats... I think he will still be a solid player but boy am i happy with Mayo the guys everywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Back