PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where to save some cap space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst I agree that he's overpaid and his contract isn't Patriots friendly Mankins has been a fine Patriots player and for a long time. These past two seasons are the only times I can remember him being stuffed by injuries. I assume once he gets back to full health he'll return to being a mauler.

I was interested to see what the production difference between Mankins and his replacements were. At this point, a reasonable argument hasn't been put forward that supports there was a major drop off in performance. Sure there's numbers, but for mine, a lot of observed OL play comes down to what we see with our own two eyes.

Our pass protection got weaker but our interior rushing was way better with thomas over Mankins. We are a pass first team and Mankins is a veterans leader with a big contract and is trusted more in protecting Brady so he got the nod but I would have been okay with Thomas starting over him. Especially while Mankins was playing hurt.

And for the fool who sarcastically said we could cut him and take a 2 mill cap hit... That's not how contracts work. Mankins cap hit goes up to 14 million or something completely unmanageable if cut or traded. If really was only a 2 mill hit I would have been picketing Gillette to cut him last year and use that money on things we actually need. Like a pass rusher in the interior dl, cover corner and safety.

And for the fool who sarcastically said we could cut him and take a 2 mill cap hit... That's not how contracts work. Mankins cap hit goes up to 14 million or something completely unmanageable if cut or traded. If really was only a 2 mill hit I would have been picketing Gillette to cut him last year and use that money on things we actually need. Like a pass rusher in the interior dl, cover corner and safety.
It's $10M to keep him and $12M to cut him, and therefore $2M MORE to cut him than to keep him.

That is not true. Go back and read what you asked. You'll find it's been answered. The rest of this is just you saying the same thing I'm saying while claiming to say otherwise, so it's not worth continuing.
Lousy argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back