PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where to save some cap space

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading elsewhere about the Pats' cap situation and I'm wondering where might be some good places to save some $$ that can be used to improve the team elsewhere. Sometimes there might be a big cost savings, and other times small ones, but remember, a few small ones can add up to a big one.

So here's my first idea: Cut Stephen Gostkowski.

Gostkowski, Stephen K P/K
Cap value: $3,408,120
Dead money: $1,600,000
Cap savings: $1,808,120

I think he's a very good kicker, but he's coming off a subpar year and he's among the highest paid kickers in the league (currently the 3rd highest paid). I would bet the Pats could fill that role effectively with a guy who makes a lot less than Ghost.

Other savings ideas?

Assuming your numbers are correct:

If you cut the kicker, you have to replace him. You have 1.8 million to spend on a new kicker, or you've lost money on the transaction. The average kicker makes about 860k, which means spending at the average level would only save a bit over 900k and would put you at the mercy of the new, untested kicker.

For the 2013 season, here are some names and numbers to consider:

K Stephen Gostkowski:
- 2013 cap figure: $3,400,000
- cap savings if cut: $1,800,000
- dead money if cut: $1,600,000

OL Dan Connolly:
- 2013 cap figure: $3,333,333
- cap savings if cut: $1,166,666
- dead money if cut: $2,166,667

TE Daniel Fells:
- 2013 cap figure: $1,658,333
- cap savings if cut: $991,166
- dead money if cut: $666,667

ST Matthew Slater:
- 2013 cap figure: $2,266,666
- cap savings if cut: $933,332
- dead money if cut: $1,333,334

C Ryan Wendell:
- 2013 cap figure: $1,015,000
- cap savings if cut: $865,000
- dead money if cut: $150,000

DT Kyle Love:
- 2013 cap figure: $1,100,000
- cap savings if cut: $850,000
- dead money if cut: $250,000

FB Spencer Larsen:
- 2013 cap figure: $875,000
- cap savings if cut: $750,000
- dead money if cut: $125,000

DE Jermaine Cunningham:
- 2013 cap figure: $960,000
- cap savings if cut: $630,000
- dead money if cut: $330,000

DL Brandon Deaderick:
- 2013 cap figure: $640,075
- dead money if cut: $10,075

DE Marcus Benard:
- 2013 cap figure: $630,000
- dead money if cut: -0-

OL Nick McDonald:

S Steve Gregory:
- 2013 cap figure: $2,183,333
- cap savings if cut: $516,666
- dead money if cut: $1,666,667

Other considerations: players that will be free agents in March, that need to either be re-signed or replaced:

WR Wes Welker
RT Sebastian Vollmer
CB Aqib Talib
WR Julian Edelman
RB Danny Woodhead
OL Donald Thomas
CB/ST Kyle Arrington
S Patrick Chung
ST/LB Tracy White
DL Myron Pryor
CB/ST Marquice Cole
DE Trevor Scott
LB Dane Fletcher
WR Deion Branch
WR Donte' Stallworth

Last edited:
Agreed on Fells being gone, but resigning Hooman will probably take up close to that million. I'd imagine we'll carry 4 TE's given the injury history. I think restructuring Mankins/Brady is the only way to really save signifcant $$, but if that's going to make it harder for us later on I say we just play it conservative this offseason. Try to resign Welker/Talib and Edelman/Woody/Arrington if they come cheap. Draft and cheap vet FA's, no need for a splash this offseason just worry about taking care of our own.

Not sure BB would be willing to part with Ghost.

Assuming your numbers are correct:

If you cut the kicker, you have to replace him. You have 1.8 million to spend on a new kicker, or you've lost money on the transaction. The average kicker makes about 860k, which means spending at the average level would only save a bit over 900k and would put you at the mercy of the new, untested kicker.

All of this is true.

That seems like a no brainer. Ballard in Fells out.

At this current time I would not consider it but if Wes is back I have heard there is a bonus due to Lloyd that could save 3 Mil or so if you cut him instead. I dont think I would do this even with Wes back but it certainly is a spot where money could be freed up.

Even with Wes and Lloyd we're terribly thin at WR position.

I think we'd have to look elsewhere.

Mankins restructure in some format will spread the pain across remaining years.

Looking ahead to the 2014 cap:

K Stephen Gostkowski:
- 2014 cap number: $3,808,120
- cap savings if cut: $3,008,120
- dead money if cut: $800,000

OL Dan Connolly:
- 2014 cap number: $4,083,334
- cap savings if cut: $3,000,000
- dead money if cut: $1,083,134

WR Brandon Lloyd:
- 2014 cap number: $5,500,000
- cap savings if cut: $3,000,000
- dead money if cut: $2,500,000

S Steve Gregory:
- 2014 cap number: $3,183,334
- cap savings if cut: $2,350,000
- dead money if cut: $833,334

TE Daniel Fells:
- 2014 cap number: $2,183,334
- cap savings if cut: $1,850,000
- dead money if cut: $333,334

ST Matthew Slater:
- 2014 cap number: $1,966,668
- cap savings if cut: $1,300,000
- dead money if cut: $666,668

DB Ras-I Dowling:
- 2014 cap number: $1,687,667
- cap savings if cut: $1,098,285
- dead money if cut: $589,382

Patsy has it right. The ONLY way for us to save significant money beyond the current 16-18MM we are being told is our current situation, will be to restructure Brady, Mankins, and perhaps Wilfolk (though I think I read once where Wilfolk's deal would be hard to restructure). Since none of them are going to restructure for a penny less than what they have coming, any savings we get THIS year, will be just passed on to the future and must eventually come due.

JM's post shows that we don't have much savings to be garnered in making any cuts. Between the dead money and the replacement costs, any savings would be negligible. The bottom line is that prior to any restructures, we are in decent cap shape. Enough to re-sign some of our own FA's and dip into the vet FA market at a modest level.

If BB chooses to create significant additional cap space with major restructures or extensions with Brady and Mankins, then it tell me that he's committed to a 2 year window for winning a Lombardi or 2 before having to start ANOTHER major rebuild, because money saved now, eventually comes due.

Patsy has it right. The ONLY way for us to save significant money beyond the current 16-18MM we are being told is our current situation, will be to restructure Brady, Mankins, and perhaps Wilfolk (though I think I read once where Wilfolk's deal would be hard to restructure). Since none of them are going to restructure for a penny less than what they have coming, any savings we get THIS year, will be just passed on to the future and must eventually come due.

JM's post shows that we don't have much savings to be garnered in making any cuts. Between the dead money and the replacement costs, any savings would be negligible. The bottom line is that prior to any restructures, we are in decent cap shape. Enough to re-sign some of our own FA's and dip into the vet FA market at a modest level.

If BB chooses to create significant additional cap space with major restructures or extensions with Brady and Mankins, then it tell me that he's committed to a 2 year window for winning a Lombardi or 2 before having to start ANOTHER major rebuild, because money saved now, eventually comes due.

You're probably right. I do wonder just how crippling Mankins' contract is though. The OL seemed to do just fine without him. Not sure they can really cut him or trade him though.

You're probably right. I do wonder just how crippling Mankins' contract is though. The OL seemed to do just fine without him. Not sure they can really cut him or trade him though.

The cap hit for cutting him would be very painful this and next year.
Year after somewhat painful. so any reaccounting of the deal only makes it harder to part with him later on.

Voiding the terms of the Fanene contract because of his unreported / unauthorized surgery could be huge, 2.56 million if I recall correctly.

This hasn't been decided yet, has it?

We don't need players like Hoo whose balls shriveled up in the cold Ravens game. Sign a couple UDFA blocking TEs and hope one of them makes the 53 or PS.

Voiding the terms of the Fanene contract because of his unreported / unauthorized surgery could be huge, 2.56 million if I recall correctly.

I believe its 3.5.

Seems odd it isn't coming up in conversation which would lead me to believe the team will have to suck it up.

Get Brady to reduce his avg pay over the next 2 seasons to 10 million per.
Tell him we'll use the savings to bring in Fitzgerald.

He should do it because the greater chances of winning the SB and enhancing his legacy should be worth way more to him than the 20 million he loses (which won't affect his lifestyle).

Spend the remaining cap money on defense.

Bam, we're set

Get Brady to reduce his salary to 10 million.
Tell him we'll use the savings to bring in Fitzgerald.

He should do it because the greater chances of winning the SB and enhancing his legacy should be worth way more to him than the 20 million he loses (which won't affect his lifestyle).

Spend the remaining cap money on defense.

Bam, we're set

You have a better chance of convincing Brady to let Gisele spend the night with you.

So...obvious answer to that dilemma is to not re-sign Hooman.

Pretty sure we'll need 4 TE's. Ballard is coming off an ACL injury, Gronk and Hernandez have missed alot of important games due to injuries or were severely limited. There's not much we can save this offseason, but on the positive side there's still plenty of space to re-sign the important ones.

I asked a couple of the beat writers recently about the situation with Fanene's contract and none of them had any news to report. While there is still time - free agency does not begin until March 12 this year - I would have thought that it would have been resolved by now.

The Patriots have over $42 million of their 2013 cap space allocated to three players. So much for the theory about spreading cap space throughout the entire roster. Right now the Pats have about $18 million to spend, but need to either re-sign or replace Welker, Talib, Vollmer, Woodhead, Edelman, Thomas, Arrington, Chung, White, Pryor, Cole, Branch, Scott, and Stallworth, sign the draftees, have some money available for signing bonuses to vet free agents that may not make the team, and another $5 million or so in reserve to use if needed during the season.

Perhaps the elephant in the room question that nobody wants to bring up is this: if Tom Brady wants to win another Super Bowl, will he extend or restructure at a discounted rate, so that money can be used to build a better supporting cast? Should the Pats tactfully bring the subject up? If so, how would he react?

For example, Brady has a great rapport with Welker and presumably would prefer for him to stay. Whatever the difference between the two sides is, would Brady lower his salary by that amount to keep Welker in Foxboro?

Top 2013 New England Patriots cap numbers:
$21,800,000 -- Tom Brady
$10,600,000 -- Vince Wilfork
$10,000,000 -- Logan Mankins

Brady is signed through 2014; his base salary is $9,750,000 in 2013 and the same in 2014; his cap number is the also the same for both seasons.

Wilfork is signed through 2014; his base salaries are $6,500,000 in 2013 and $7,500,000 in 2014; his cap number next year is $11,608,000.

Mankins is signed through 2016. His base salaries are $5,750,000 in 2013, $6,250,000 in 2014, $6,750,000 in 2015 and $6,750,000 in 2016. Mankins' cap numbers are $10,500,000 in 2014, $11,000,000 in 2015, and $7,000,000 in 2016.

For the 2013 season, here are some names and numbers to consider:

K Stephen Gostkowski:
- 2013 cap figure: $3,400,000
- cap savings if cut: $1,800,000
- dead money if cut: $1,600,000

OL Dan Connolly:
- 2013 cap figure: $3,333,333
- cap savings if cut: $1,166,666
- dead money if cut: $2,166,667

TE Daniel Fells:
- 2013 cap figure: $1,658,333
- cap savings if cut: $991,166
- dead money if cut: $666,667

ST Matthew Slater:
- 2013 cap figure: $2,266,666
- cap savings if cut: $933,332
- dead money if cut: $1,333,334

C Ryan Wendell:
- 2013 cap figure: $1,015,000
- cap savings if cut: $865,000
- dead money if cut: $150,000

DT Kyle Love:
- 2013 cap figure: $1,100,000
- cap savings if cut: $850,000
- dead money if cut: $250,000

FB Spencer Larsen:
- 2013 cap figure: $875,000
- cap savings if cut: $750,000
- dead money if cut: $125,000

DE Jermaine Cunningham:
- 2013 cap figure: $960,000
- dead money if cut: $330,000

DL Brandon Deaderick:
- 2013 cap figure: $640,075
- dead money if cut: $10,075

DE Marcus Benard:

OL Nick McDonald:

S Steve Gregory:
- 2013 cap figure: $2,183,333
- cap savings if cut: $516,666
- dead money if cut: $1,666,667

I think you also need to look at 2014. Here's a few thoughts along the lines of your post:

1. S Steve Gregory.

- Why cut him: He's not really a starter, and with McCourty playing the FS role he's not physical enough for what we need. He's a quality backup, but at a cap hit of $2.183M in 2013 and a whopping $3.18M in 2014 he's overpriced for his role. Also, if we sign or draft another safety, we have a roster crunch with 5 players at the position (McCourty, Gregory, Wilson, Ebner plus the new guy), which may be more than we can carry, so someone may have to go. Wilson and Ebner have more potential and upside. Cutting or trading him saves $0.5M this year and $2.35M in 2014 (I really can't see him lasting beyond this year given his cap hit and the potential savings).
- Why he might stick: a proven veteran presence with good versatility, if we can't find anyone better at reasonable cost in FA.
- Would he have any trade value: probably not, but maybe we good get a late round pick for him as a proven veteran from a team needing safety depth.

2. OG Dan Connolly.

- Why cut him: He's on the wrong side of 30 and had injury problems. He was arguably outplayed by Donald Thomas in 2012, who could be signed for much cheaper. The Pats probably overpaid him, with a cap hit of $3.3M in 2013 and $4M in 2014, which seems high. Cutting him would save $1.16M this year and $3M in 2014.
- Why he might stick: we're think for starting interior linemen, and he's got good positional versatility at guard and center.
- I think the Pats might try and get Connolly to agree to a pay cut or restructure. If they can re-sign Donald Thomas then they have good depth with Thomas, Wendell and Nick McDonald, plus possibly a rookie, which would make Connolly expendable if he's not willing to take a cut.

3. TE Dan Fells

- Why cut him: He was way down the depth chart in 2012, getting bumped by Michael Hoomanawanui, and didn't play anywhere up to his contract. He has a cap hit of $1.66M in 2013 and $2.18M in 2014. Cutting/trading him would save almost $1M this year and $1.85M in 2014. Jake Ballard is a cheaper and probably better replacement (assuming he is healthy), and Michael Hoomanawanui is a RFA and can be signed for less than what cutting Fells would save.
- Why keep him: you can never have too much depth at TE.
- Would he have any trade value: probably not, though maybe we could dupe someone out of a late round pick. He was a decent starter not long ago and is still under 30.

4. K Stephen Gostkowski

- Why cut him: He's due to make premium kicker money in the next 2 years: $3.4M cap hit in 2013 and $3.8M in 2014. That's a lot. While he's good, is he that good? Teams have succeeded recently with rookie kickers. Cutting him would save $1.8M in 2013 and $3M in 2014.
- Why he might stick: he's a proven commodity, he has a big leg, he's good on kickoffs and gets good lift.
- Like Connolly, I think the Pats might try to get Gostkowski to restructure or agree to a pay cut, with the threat of cutting him. They certainly may consider bringing in some competition in training camp. I have a hard time seeing him stick around for 2014 at $3.8M with a savings of $3M unless things drastically change.

Those are the 4 most likely guys. There's always the big money guys who could restructure with extensions, like Brady and Wilfork. The Pats may be able to save some money by converting some of Mankins' bonus money - I'm not enough of a capologist to tackle that one. I don't think Brandon Lloiyd is a candidate - cutting him leaves a huge amount of dead money without a replacement, and he's old enough that I can't see tacking on more years as part of an extension being an option.

Slater is interesting. He has a cap hit of $2.26M this year and almost $2M next year, which is a lot for a STer. But he's been All Pro the past several years, and BB loves him. Maybe he gets an extension with a little cap relief. I can't see him getting cut. It would save about $1M this year and $1.3M next.

I'm not including guys like Larsen, Bernard, McDonald, Cunningham, etc. They're easy. They don't save a ton of money, and they don't have much if any dead money hit. They are either good low cost additions to the roster if they make the team, or small savings if they don't make the team. It's unlikely, for example, that both Cunningham and Benard make the team, so either way we'll save around $630K. Not much, but enough to afford one low budget signing.

The Pats could probably free up $3-4M in 2013 by cutting/trading Gregory and Fells and restructuring or cutting the salaries of Gostkowski and Connolly. I'm guessing all 4 are gone in 2014, which would save $10.2M. That latter number is enough to pay for a decent starting safety, Donald Thomas, Jake Ballard, Michael Hoomanawanui, and a kicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back