PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where to save some cap space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Salary Cap - $18.6Mil for NE

Miami being 35.8 mil under is a mirage. They have Jake Long, Randy Starks, Reggie Bush, Sean Smith, Chris Clemons, Anthony Fasano, and Brian Hartline all as FAs.

The only three teams that can do what they please are the Browns, Colts, and Bengals. The Bengals and Colts are the most interesting. The Bengals get Kirkpatrick back from IR, have one 1st and two 2nds, along with a ton of cap room. If Dalton shows another year of improvement the Bengals have the AFCN. The Colts could really bolster their OL and get a solid defense for Luck.

Out of all those contracts, I can see Miami picking up Bush, Clemons, and maybe Hartline's contracts. Long, Starks, and Smith will probably walk. Miami, oddly, also has a ton of draft picks this year in a draft where their needs have a very deep class.

Jake Long will take a chunk of that Miami money. Hartline will probably stay as they have the dollars.

I don't think long will be in MIA. I know he's good..but he's been on the decline as of late..they will let him walk.

Miami is a crap ton of $$. Pats are in good shape...jets are F'ed but they are expected to drop all of that dead weight on D

Cincy at $55? WOW and we play them next year..they will have some good players on that team.

pitt is also screwed

- TE Jake Ballard (RFA)
- LB Dane Fletcher (RFA)

Two points here:

(1) Worst case scenario, Fletcher gets a minimum-tender RFA. Best-case scenario, they give him a deal like they gave Woodhead that has a lower cap hit.

(2) Ballard's not even an RFA. Because he spent the entire season on PUP (rather than IR, as Fletcher did), his contract tolled, so he's still an ERFA.

Out of all those contracts, I can see Miami picking up Bush, Clemons, and maybe Hartline's contracts. Long, Starks, and Smith will probably walk. Miami, oddly, also has a ton of draft picks this year in a draft where their needs have a very deep class.

I forgot about their draft picks from Vontae Davis and Brandon Marshall. They do have plenty of draft resources. However, Miami becoming a 12-4 team and challenging the Pats instead of their annual 7-9/8-8 mediocrity depends entirely on Tannehill. I don't see him panning out, but we'll see. If they kept Marshall and drafted Russell Wilson, now that would've been scary.

Two points here:

(1) Worst case scenario, Fletcher gets a minimum-tender RFA. Best-case scenario, they give him a deal like they gave Woodhead that has a lower cap hit.

(2) Ballard's not even an RFA. Because he spent the entire season on PUP (rather than IR, as Fletcher did), his contract tolled, so he's still an ERFA.
2013 NFL Minimum Salary Levels:

Rookie - $405,000
1 year - $480,000
2 years - $555,000
3 years - $630,000
4-6 years - $715,000
7-9 years - $840,000
10+ years - $940,000

ERFA - $555,000
RFA Tender - $1,323,000 (ROFR & pick in round player was originally drafted)

If I'm not mistaken, Ballard should be tendered at the ERFA level.

2013 New England Patriots RFAs

Dane Fletcher
Michael Hoomanawanui

I forgot about their draft picks from Vontae Davis and Brandon Marshall. They do have plenty of draft resources. However, Miami becoming a 12-4 team and challenging the Pats instead of their annual 7-9/8-8 mediocrity depends entirely on Tannehill. I don't see him panning out, but we'll see. If they kept Marshall and drafted Russell Wilson, now that would've been scary.

You should also remember that Ireland will probably find a way to screw up those draft picks. :D

This is why it is important to let go of Welker. 18 mil in cap space would quickly shrink to 8 or 9 mil.

This is why it is important to let go of Welker. 18 mil in cap space would quickly shrink to 8 or 9 mil.

Yeah. It's not like you can structure his contract to push a good amount of money into the final years of his deal, or restructure other contracts on the team to save cap room in the short term.

Sign Woodhead, Edelman, Vollmer, Talib
Let Welker, Arrington, Chung go

The Dolphins definitely don't want to put too much money into Jake Long, because he's been on a steady decline for most of his NFL career.

The problem is that his current back and last year's second round pick, Jonathan Martin, is terrible. He's the guy that got bull-rushed by Derrick Martin.

The Dolphins definitely don't want to put too much money into Jake Long, because he's been on a steady decline for most of his NFL career.

The problem is that his current back and last year's second round pick, Jonathan Martin, is terrible. He's the guy that got bull-rushed by Derrick Martin.

If the Broncos make the mistake of deciding not to franchise (or sign) Clady, the Dolphins should strongly consider going after him and getting Loadholt or Vollmer for their RT spot.

When posting cap threads folks need to assume if the data is three weeks old it was likely posted three weeks ago. It has changed since for a variety of reasons. For example the NFLPA data base is now listing players who earned playing time incentives that will increase their 2013 salary. There may be more to come but for now they list two NE players, Ninkovitch and Mesko, whose salaries have increased substantially, Mesko's more than doubling, to the 2013 FRA tender level. That totals an additional $1.2M between the two of them. Jason follows this stuff pretty closely so his guesstimates are roughly as good as Miguel's were. As Miguel used to say the figures that are published whether by amateur capologists or mediots who are spoon fed lists periodically are just s snapshot in time. Jason delineates what his figures include. Usually the league gets the current figures out again in late February or early March via Clayton or some other hack which prior to any last second releases or additional street signings in the interim are the position of each team on the eve of FA, when they all have to be under the cap. There will be tons of moves by lots of teams between now and March 12th given several are over the projected cap.

Browns quarterback Colt McCoy added $1.75 million to his 2013 base salary | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo! Sports

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ap-space-including-carryover-per-clayton.html

Sign Woodhead, Edelman, Vollmer, Talib
Let Welker, Arrington, Chung go
I like this except letting Welker go. That isn't going to happen. Of course, unless we make cap room, signing Talib and Welker is problematic....

I was reading elsewhere about the Pats' cap situation and I'm wondering where might be some good places to save some $$ that can be used to improve the team elsewhere. Sometimes there might be a big cost savings, and other times small ones, but remember, a few small ones can add up to a big one.

So here's my first idea: Cut Stephen Gostkowski.

Gostkowski, Stephen K P/K
Cap value: $3,408,120
Dead money: $1,600,000
Cap savings: $1,808,120

I think he's a very good kicker, but he's coming off a subpar year and he's among the highest paid kickers in the league (currently the 3rd highest paid). I would bet the Pats could fill that role effectively with a guy who makes a lot less than Ghost.

Other savings ideas?

Goodbye Fells.
2013 savings 1 million.
2014 savings 1.8 million.

I was reading elsewhere about the Pats' cap situation and I'm wondering where might be some good places to save some $$ that can be used to improve the team elsewhere. Sometimes there might be a big cost savings, and other times small ones, but remember, a few small ones can add up to a big one.

I think he's a very good kicker, but he's coming off a subpar year and he's among the highest paid kickers in the league (currently the 3rd highest paid). I would bet the Pats could fill that role effectively with a guy who makes a lot less than Ghost.

Other savings ideas?

Solid placekickers don't grow on trees. Gostkowski is solid and worth keeping unless some rookie phenom magically appears.

Other savings ideas?

FYI you might want to include the cost of replacement in with your math. Unless of course you dont plan on carrying a kicker next year.

Not sure if it is worth throwing out a kicker with a very good leg just because he had a subpar year over 1 mil or so in cap space.

A restructure might be more wise here although you have to weigh the fact you might want to cut him in the future if he doesnt bounce back and a restructure could make that more difficult in the future.

I would think the logical spot to look for some money back would be from Tommy. Push some of his money out and give him the years he needs to ensure he is here for the rest of his career and its win win for both parties. The real trick would be to convince him the more he gives back the more help they can get him (I know pipe dream).

Goodbye Fells.
2013 savings 1 million.
2014 savings 1.8 million.

That seems like a no brainer. Ballard in Fells out.

At this current time I would not consider it but if Wes is back I have heard there is a bonus due to Lloyd that could save 3 Mil or so if you cut him instead. I dont think I would do this even with Wes back but it certainly is a spot where money could be freed up.

Other savings ideas?

Nope. Gostkowski stays.

FYI you might want to include the cost of replacement in with your math. Unless of course you dont plan on carrying a kicker next year.

Not sure if it is worth throwing out a kicker with a very good leg just because he had a subpar year over 1 mil or so in cap space.

A restructure might be more wise here although you have to weigh the fact you might want to cut him in the future if he doesnt bounce back and a restructure could make that more difficult in the future.

I would think the logical spot to look for some money back would be from Tommy. Push some of his money out and give him the years he needs to ensure he is here for the rest of his career and its win win for both parties. The real trick would be to convince him the more he gives back the more help they can get him (I know pipe dream).

Yeah, I'm not trying to "throw him out". It's just that there might be guys who are as good as him but who would cost a lot less. That's all.

Your restructure idea might be a good one though.

I agree on Fells. No-brainer there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye