PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where To Draft A Pass Rusher

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
I found this stat interesting but there was no logical place to put it, hence the new thread.

First round or bust by the look of it. FWIW, Sheard is #21 on the list and was a second round pick, albeit an early one at 37th overall.

Could Jaylon Smith could fall to the Pats in round 2?

Didn't smith tear up his knee in the game today?

Makes sense. Pass Rushing is so much about pure physical ability.

Even guys link Nink who work their butt off and make the absolute most out of their talent still are only pretty good.

Luckily we have a lot of good pass rushers on this team as is.

You can never have enough good pass rushers or corner backs.

I think that stat shows that with needs on the O line, cornerback, receiver, etc. and n first round pick that this is a year to pass on a pass rusher.

I found this stat interesting but there was no logical place to put it, hence the new thread.

First round or bust by the look of it. FWIW, Sheard is #21 on the list and was a second round pick, albeit an early one at 37th overall.

Heck we don't need Dunlap; we got Cunningham a few picks before hime.

As far as pass rushers, we already have a really good one in Jones. Don't list to the idiots on the radio; Jone is way more valuable than they say (and even more so than Hightower). If BB has to pick between Hightower and Jones, it would be Jones every time.

As far as pass rushers, we already have a really good one in Jones. Don't list to the idiots on the radio; Jone is way more valuable than they say (and even more so than Hightower). If BB has to pick between Hightower and Jones, it would be Jones every time.

What the hell are you talking about ? Hightower might very well be the best overall defensive player on our team. Jones has once again racked up numbers early in the season and mostly in irrelevant situations and then faded into obscurity towards the last third of the season.

Hell Jones wasn't even our best pass rusher throughout the year. That would be Sheard..

Out of Hightower, Collins, Sheard and Chandler Jones it is pretty obvious who we can afford to let go.

What the hell are you talking about ? Hightower might very well be the best overall defensive player on our team. Jones has once again racked up numbers early in the season and mostly in irrelevant situations and then faded into obscurity towards the last third of the season.

Hell Jones wasn't even our best pass rusher throughout the year. That would be Sheard..

Out of Hightower, Collins, Sheard and Chandler Jones it is pretty obvious who we can afford to let go.

If the answer is Chandler Jones then I agree 100%.

Almost posted a new thread, but it looks like Manx was prescient. Good launching point for further discussion.

The loss of our first round pick stings worse as I review available prospects further. I'm growing very partial to Emmanuel Ogbah, and I think he may be the best pass rusher in this draft. Tape is inconsistent, but he showed positive traits. Now, his agility times weren't great, but they weren't far off other successful players. He plays mean, too, which counts a lot in my book.

Mockdraftable has an intriguing athletic profile for him. Check out his closest matches:

Aldon Smith (2011): 1.8419300199664 (90.6%)
Lavar Edwards (2013): 3.7397625612065 (81.8%)
Robert Quinn (2011): 4.4259152213128 (79.9%)
Chandler Jones (2012): 5.1431032248766 (78.1%)
Chris Kelsay (2003): 5.1777116713931 (78.1%)
Jadeveon Clowney (2014): 5.2007957185311 (78%)
Frank Alexander (2012): 5.5264744651678 (77.3%)
Greg Hardy (2010): 5.6310217859894 (77.1%)
Ziggy Ansah (2013): 5.6622732606466 (77.1%)
Adalius Thomas (2000): 5.7210375699674 (76.9%)

Pretty good company.

The only player I like almost as well as Ogbah is Shiquile Calhoun, and he is a but raw and needs an extra 10 - 20 pounds of muscle. That said, he pays with urgency and is always around the ball. Good length -- reminds me of Chandler, really.

None of the players in this draft graded out as highly for me as Houston or Griffen, mid-rounders who have turned into studs (and were in all my mock drafts in their respective years), but the two listed above intrigue me the most.

I would use them whatever way necessary to wind up with DE Bullard and LB Perry

our defense should be ok then and they can spend the rest of the draft on offense

WHERE TO DRAFT A PASS-RUSHER
I would think that the answer is early and often; well, one in the 2nd and another in the 3rd.

Who do we have for the future other than the untested kids Flowers and Grissom? Grissom has played some, but primarily inside. Unless we've had an extension recently, Ninkovich and Sheard are UFA's at the end of the year, as is Chris Long.

WHERE TO DRAFT A PASS-RUSHER
I would think that the answer is early and often; well, one in the 2nd and another in the 3rd.

Who do we have for the future other than the untested kids Flowers and Grissom? Grissom has played some, but primarily inside. Unless we've had an extension recently, Ninkovich and Sheard are UFA's at the end of the year, as is Chris Long.

Trouble is, they're not rsally there this year. Horrible class of EDGE players.

The more I review tape, the more I've zeroed in on Calhoun. I'm worried he'll go in the 40s or 50s, though, and I'd be all for a trade up at that point to secure his services. If he can add some weight, I think he could end up better than Jones.

The more I review tape, the more I've zeroed in on Calhoun. I'm worried he'll go in the 40s or 50s, though, and I'd be all for a trade up at that point to secure his services. If he can add some weight, I think he could end up better than Jones.

I just started to wonder about him. Need to start watching some film.

Good call!

As for this draft? Nowhere. I'm not high on any pass rushers this year. Next year might be the one to look at taking a pass rushing DE early.

Good call!

As for this draft? Nowhere. I'm not high on any pass rushers this year. Next year might be the one to look at taking a pass rushing DE early.

Yup, horrible class. First round DE in 2017 (sorry McCaffrey fans).

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back