Welcome to PatsFans.com

Where The Steele Meets The Bubba - RNC Strategy

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Excerpts from a Michael Steele speech to African-Ameican students when asked the question, "Why should African-Ameicans vote Republican?"

"You really don't have a reason to, to be honest -- we haven't done a very good job of really giving you one. True? True," Republican National Chairman Michael Steele told 200 DePaul University students Tuesday night.

"We have lost sight of the historic, integral link between the party and African-Americans," Steele said. "This party was co-founded by blacks, among them Frederick Douglass. The Republican Party had a hand in forming the NAACP, and yet we have mistreated that relationship. People don't walk away from parties, Their parties walk away from them."

"For the last 40-plus years we had a 'Southern Strategy' that alienated many minority voters by focusing on the white male vote in the South. Well, guess what happened in 1992, folks, 'Bubba' went back home to the Democratic Party and voted for Bill Clinton."

African-Americans not given good reason to vote GOP :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Politics

2. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,102 / 16 / -9

So does that make Steele Racist for noticing he's Black? I don't remember...

3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

....YIKES!!!:eek:

4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Nah, I don't think so. It does kinda point to the RNC deliberately cultivating one particular race more than another one, though. Unless Steele is lying - which is entirely possible.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

Who do Japanese Americans vote for--------:confused:

6. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

The wealthier ones vote right and those with less vote left....

7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

The point of a thread is only made by it's author. So Harry's comment does not change anything. If I tried to make the correlation between african americans and japanese-americans, then you could answer "What about japanese americans". But I never made that point.

Please re-read Harry's comment. He was responding to no one specifically and was asking a stupid question against a point that is not part of the thread topic.

Harry likes to do stuff like that...he is responding to a STRAWMAN argument. Please do not feed him in a thread I've started.

8. elway7

elway7 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

What about Japanese Americans?

9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

When do we stop talking about "Skin Color" why do liberals insist on keeping Racism alive, when are we all just going to be "ONE"

GET RID OF THE RACIST BLACK CAUCUS AND IT'S RACIST MEMBERS WE ARE NOW ALL AMERICANS MIX AND MINGLE THAT IS THE SURE WAY TO BECOME TRULY INTEGRATED.

10. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Mrs.PatsFanInVa
    "The point of a thread is only made by it's author. So Harry's comment does not change anything. If I tried to make the correlation between african americans and japanese-americans, then you could answer "What about japanese americans". But I never made that point.

Please re-read Harry's comment. He was responding to no one specifically and was asking a stupid question against a point that is not part of the thread topic.

Harry likes to do stuff like that...he is responding to a STRAWMAN argument. Please do not feed him in a thread I've started."

Elway! Man, am I in this lady's head! I posted the comment below earlier today in another thread....

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...-why-no-one-cares-about-california-page3.html

Just amazing how awesome I am! I can only see this lady's posts if someone comments on them...but this just tells me much about "her". She's actually quoting me now ;) :D Plagiarism is more like it.

I love living rent free in people's heads!

11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

What's amazing is that you have no problem dishing out instructions that you do not follow yourself - and then coming into someone else's thread to brag about it - just in case people didn't notice the hypocrisy on their own.

It's also amazing that you have the confidence to respond to a thread you can't see and supposedly haven't read based on a 6 word comment someone not the thread-starter made.

Most especially amazing when you consider your often repeated stance that all theads belong to the thread starter and should never be taken off that topic.

Maybe that only applies to PATRIOTSREIGN threads, though. Since he's so AWESOME.

You're not personally acquainted with Judy Collins, are you?

12. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I dunno what she said, but I bet she's pissed....:rocker:

13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

She said your a friggan a$s hole...

:rofl:

14. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

If she did, that's ok...

That is funny though! :rofl:

15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

I'm just kidding, I can get in enough trouble using the "F" word and talking about affirmative action..........

16. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Well, the "F" word is out of line...but affirmative action has to go...it's effn' racist!!

17. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,102 / 16 / -9

Got it, Mel. The problem's affirmative action.

18. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

No, race conscious people are the problem...wouldn't you agree?

And please, grow up PFiVA. You constantly attempt to insult me even though I never do that same to you.

WHY IS THAT? Or do you lack the courage to explain?:confused2:

BTW....The Kennedy's are my favorite modern American family. If you want to use an avatar that makes me want to by a gun, use Barney Frank's pic!;)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  19. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,102 / 16 / -9

Please read this, take a step back, read it again, and then read it out loud. Repeat, if needed, until it sinks in:

It's not about you, Mel.

This thread is about Michael Steele.

PFnV

20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Yes, it is, but apparently no one wants to talk about him....they'd rather talk about themseves or among themselves or about one another, instead. I wonder why that is?

No matter - back to the subject at hand - more on the roots of The Republican Party's (not unspoken) strategy to attract Bubba-voters.

The GOP's "Southern Strategy" is usually traced back to Nixon's courting of the Southern white vote, which had prior to then favored the Democrats. But President Lyndon Johnson's passage of the Civil Rights Act put it up for grabs. In a 1970 interview with The New York Times, Nixon political strategist Kevin Phillips outlined the GOP's new strategy: "From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that ... but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats."

The strategy was borne out, as the South shifted from a solid Democrat voting block to a Republican stronghold. And in subsequent years, Republican politicians made gestures that would appeal to voters' bias. Ronald Reagan kicked off his 1980 presidential campaign in the small town of Philadelphia, Miss., where civil rights workers had been murdered. George W. Bush made a controversial campaign stop at South Carolina's Bob Jones University, which at the time forbade interracial dating.

Michael Steele's 'Southern Strategy' Gaffe Might Be Anything But - AOL News