PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where the Brady Quinn haters at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Florida vs. Ohio State last season pretty much blows that argument out of the water.

Darn it.... most of this post was lost. Well, I'm not hunting down the rest. You feel free to equate the two conferences all you want.

Really? 1 game blows everything out of the water? So Wisconsin beating Arkansas and Penn State beating Tennessee meant nothing? Florida squeaked by Tennessee by 1 point. Arkansas hung tight with LSU losing by 5, and lost by 10 to Florida. Both of these were formidable SEC opponents.

But hey, you go ahead and base your impressions of an entire conference on one game. That makes a ton of sense.

Oh, and FYI- the NFC is way better than the AFC. The Dallas-Indianapolis game last year blows any argument to the contrary out of the water, right?

Feel free to check back over the past 10 years, which is what was being discussed.

You mean the last 10 years where the SEC is winning at a 69% clip against other conferences, the BigTen at a 67% margin, and the conferences are .500 against each other in bowl games? The SEC has a whopping 1 more national title than the BigTen? Both conferences have seen 2 undefeated teams? The 10 years where Michigan and Ohio State are #2 and #4 overall, 2 spots higher than the closest SEC team? Those 10 years?

Basically, the last 10 years prove that these are the 2 best conferences in the nation, and Michigan and Ohio State would do just as well in the SEC as Florida and Tennessee would do in the BigTen.

Really? 1 game blows everything out of the water? So Wisconsin beating Arkansas and Penn State beating Tennessee meant nothing? Florida squeaked by Tennessee by 1 point. Arkansas hung tight with LSU losing by 5, and lost by 10 to Florida. Both of these were formidable SEC opponents.

But hey, you go ahead and base your impressions of an entire conference on one game. That makes a ton of sense.

Oh, and FYI- the NFC is way better than the AFC. The Dallas-Indianapolis game last year blows any argument to the contrary out of the water, right?

Which part of:

most of this post was lost. Well, I'm not hunting down the rest. You feel free to equate the two conferences all you want.

are you struggling with the most to comprehend? I could point to the number of current nfl players, of which the SEC has the most. I could point to the National champions in the past 10 years, where the SEC has the most. I could point to other things as well, but the post got lost and I didn't want to repeat it. Now, feel free to keep on with the belief that the Big10 has been as good as the SEC over the past 10 years.

Last edited:
Which part of:

are you struggling with the most to comprehend? I could point to the number of current nfl players, of which the SEC has the most. I could point to the National champions in the past 10 years, where the SEC has the most. I could point to other things as well, but the post got lost and I didn't want to repeat it. Now, feel free to keep on with the mistaken belief that the Big10 has been as good as the SEC over the past 10 years.

I said that the SEC is a better conference. You seem to think that Michigan and Ohio State are playing in a much weaker conference, and I showed you that is false. The conferences are very close, as evident by their .500 record in bowl games head-to-head over the last 10 years.

The SEC has more pro players. At the start of last season, they had a 266-236 edge. If you average that out per team (SEC has 12 teams to the BigTen's 11), you get a 22.16-21.24 advantage for the SEC. That is pretty close. You also mentioned national champions, where the SEC holds a 3-2 edge over the last 10 years (97 Michigan, 98 Tennessee, 02 Ohio State, 03 LSU, 06 Florida.) Over that span, both conferences have seen 2 undefeated teams (97 Michigan, 98 Tennessee, 02 Ohio State, 04 Auburn) apiece.

I don't understand how you can continue to claim outright superiority, and argue that the SEC is light years ahead of the BigTen. Do you really think that Michigan and Ohio State would see a significant drop off joining the SEC, or that Tennessee, Florida or LSU would clean house in the BigTen? That is just silly.

This is a fun thread, Internet *****ing got to love it. Though must say what does his have to do with the Patriots.:)

This is interesting, too:

Since the start of the Bowl Championship Series in 1998, the Big Ten is 8-7 in BCS play. The Southeastern Conference is 9-4. Advantage, obviously, to the SEC.

But look deeper: The Big Ten and SEC play two Jan. 1 bowl games against each other every year — the Citrus/Capital One Bowl and the Hall of Fame/Outback Bowl. In the BCS era, the Big Ten is 10-8 against the SEC in those games.

And remember, these bowls are supposed to match the top two non-BCS teams from each conference. But the Big Ten received 15 BCS berths, compared to 13 for the SEC. That means that twice (after the 2001 and 2005 seasons) Big Ten teams had to play "up" against an SEC opponent — i.e., the Big Ten's fourth-best team had to play the SEC's third-best team, and the Big Ten's third-best team had to play the SEC's second-best team.

some more facts from the BigTen:

The Big Ten was 2-1 vs. the SEC in this past season's bowl games.
The Big Ten is 8-6 vs. the SEC in bowl games over the last five years
The Big Ten is 13-13 vs. the SEC in bowl games over the last decade.
Over the last nine years of Bowl Championship Series games, the Big Ten leads all conferences with 15 berths while ranking second with eight victories. The SEC tops all leagues with nine wins and ranks second to the Big Ten with 13 appearances.
In the last 10 years the Big Ten has produced two national champions compared to three for the SEC.
In the last 15 years the Big Ten has produced five Heisman Trophy winners, more than any other conference. Over that same time span, the SEC has claimed one Heisman.
While the SEC ranked first among various recruiting rankings, the Big Ten ranked second or third nationally with four to five programs rated among the top 25 recruiting classes.

Last edited:
I said that the SEC is a better conference. You seem to think that Michigan and Ohio State are playing in a much weaker conference, and I showed you that is false. The conferences are very close, as evident by their .500 record in bowl games head-to-head over the last 10 years.

The SEC has more pro players. At the start of last season, they had a 266-236 edge. If you average that out per team (SEC has 12 teams to the BigTen's 11), you get a 22.16-21.24 advantage for the SEC. That is pretty close. You also mentioned national champions, where the SEC holds a 3-2 edge over the last 10 years (97 Michigan, 98 Tennessee, 02 Ohio State, 03 LSU, 06 Florida.) Over that span, both conferences have seen 2 undefeated teams (97 Michigan, 98 Tennessee, 02 Ohio State, 04 Auburn) apiece.

I don't understand how you can continue to claim outright superiority, and argue that the SEC is light years ahead of the BigTen. Do you really think that Michigan and Ohio State would see a significant drop off joining the SEC, or that Tennessee, Florida or LSU would clean house in the BigTen? That is just silly.

I shouldn't have called the Big10 "weak" without noting that I was comparing it to its past glory. That was very shabbily written and, for that, I apologize. Other than that, you concede the superiority of the SEC, so I don't see the need to continue this argument.

I shouldn't have called the Big10 "weak" without noting that I was comparing it to its past glory. That was very shabbily written and, for that, I apologize. Other than that, you concede the superiority of the SEC, so I don't see the need to continue this argument.

Fair enough. However, I would argue that the BigTen now is stronger than in the past, when it was essentially the "Big Two Little Eight" in the Bo/Woody days. Sure, the Big Two were more dominant than most college football teams now, but the conference has some serious balance now. Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern, Purdue, and Penn State have all claimed at least a share of the conference title in the last 10 years.

Last edited:
Michigan Dave, I just know it was awesome watching Michigan and Texas, the 1st and 3rd winningest programs ever, play for the first time in the 2005 Rose Bowl. As I said in a post a few months ago, that was one time the BCS got it right. Cal felt shunned but then went on to get smacked by Texas Tech while the Wolverines and Longhorns battled until the end in what is arguably one of the best Rose Bowls ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes