Welcome to PatsFans.com

Where Is The Second Major Drop In Talent?

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by mgteich, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +343 / 25 / -2

There usually is a major drop in talent at about 8 -12. The first dozen gives us our projected blue-chippers and almost blue chippers.

The second drop is very variable. Sometimes we call thes playes the red chippers. If there is such a drop, the likelihood of getting a red chipper diminishes greatly after a certain point. Obviously, after this we find players that need work, players who have had "issues", and diamonds in the ruff.

For me, this matters a lot. If the drop is say at 65 (the beginning of the 3rd round, then I would likely want to trade up from 74 (perhaps using the 92 and moving up to about 55). Alternatively if the drop isn't until the 80's, then I would use to 92 if needed to move up, otherwise trade it into 2012. If the driop is project to be around 40, then I would want to trade up from 60.

Where do you all feel the second drop is this year?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  2. MaineMan

MaineMan 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Using the NFP Grading Scale as a point of reference (and merely that):

Prospects graded at least 7.5 run out around the middle of the 1st.
    Prospects graded 7.0 run out in the late 1st.

Prospects graded 6.8/6.9 run out around mid-2nd.

Prospects graded 6.6/6.7 run out by the end of the 2nd round. NOTE: prospects graded 6.6 often get drafted earlier, thus pushing some higher-graded prospects down.

Prospects graded 6.0-6.5 (possible starters) last until around the end of the 4th - after that, it's all "backup/depth". NOTE: prospects graded 6.0 often get drafted in the 2nd, thus pushing down higher-grade guys. Yes, Mr. Davis, I'm talking about you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.