PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where Is The Pats Deep Threat At????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there is a problem with the offense - it's up to the wide receivers to catch the damn ball. Wes, Lloyd, and co could not catch the balls today - blame the Ravens, the wind, or Brady's inaccurate throws.

But to me, I feel that a changeup to the offense would be amazing. Why not get that deep threat that opens the field? I want to see something new! That means Wes Welker and his buttery fingers have to go.

Dear Santa, I want a better defense and a better defensive coordinator. Our defense sucks!

Really? Branch missed 7 games in 2004 and one game in 2003. How is that more dependable than a guy who hasn't missed that many games in 6 years?

The 2003 offense was mediocre and carried by arguably the best defense in the Patriots history. That year the Pats the Pats had 4 games without a single offensive TD. They had the worst 3rd down conversion percentage of the Brady era. The 2003 offense averaged 21.8 PPG. The Pats scored 22 points or less this year twice.

You are really losing credibility with this argument with every post. You are saying an inactive Deion Branch is more valuable and dependable than a healthy Wes Welker. Yes, Branch had an awesome Super Bowl against Carolina, but that is not an entire season.

You think a offense that was able to put up 30 points against a great carolina panthers defense was mediocre?
Are YOU joking? The offense while not as flashy as the current one, was INCREDIBLY EFFICIENT!!

Branch had 143 yards against the panthers and help set up the game winning field goal
Branch completely took over the 2004 playoffs and had a good 2005 playoff run

I always wondered what Branch's numbers would look like with the tom brady we have now. Wes Welker could be called the peyton manning of the wide receivers, but i won't go that far.

Also keep in mind deion branch had a higher yards per reception than welker.

The patriots need a reciever that can reproduce what branch did in 03-04 DURING THE PLAYOFFS!

Deion Branch - NFL Wide Receiver - YouTube

The patriots haven't won a superbowl since the patriots had a deep threat that can run slant routes.

If they do get a deep threat, it will likely have to come via the draft, or from something of a gamble in the lower tiers of FA.

I would assume that Belichick is very confident in his offensive scheme right now, and recognizes the fact that the "team" itself did not play well enough to win or execute efficiently.

As someone pointed out, they were inside the BAL 35 yd line 8 times on Sunday. That doesn't point to a lack of a deep threat to me, that points to lack of proper execution.

I'd like to see a deeper threat acquired too, but like I said--it'd have to be done through the gambles of the draft or mid-to-lower level FA. I don't want to see Welker leave, and I don't want to see too many changes. Getting Gronkowski back will certainly help in these big games in the future.

If they do get a deep threat, it will likely have to come via the draft, or from something of a gamble in the lower tiers of FA.

I would assume that Belichick is very confident in his offensive scheme right now, and recognizes the fact that the "team" itself did not play well enough to win or execute efficiently.

As someone pointed out, they were inside the BAL 35 yd line 8 times on Sunday. That doesn't point to a lack of a deep threat to me, that points to lack of proper execution.

I'd like to see a deeper threat acquired too, but like I said--it'd have to be done through the gambles of the draft or mid-to-lower level FA. I don't want to see Welker leave, and I don't want to see too many changes. Getting Gronkowski back will certainly help in these big games in the future.

The patriots need to go back to the 3 wide receiver set that they ran in 03-04 and pound the ball.

Remember the good ole days when brady use to complete passes to 5 different receivers and didn't rely on forcing it to one.

I would for the patriots sign/draft a speedster deep threat (branch), a tough reliable receiver that can block and get open when needed (troy brown) and a receiver that carve up yards in the slot (givens)

You think a offense that was able to put up 30 points against a great carolina panthers defense was mediocre?
Are YOU joking? The offense while not as flashy as the current one, was INCREDIBLY EFFICIENT!!

Branch had 143 yards against the panthers and help set up the game winning field goal
Branch completely took over the 2004 playoffs and had a good 2005 playoff run

I always wondered what Branch's numbers would look like with the tom brady we have now. Wes Welker could be called the peyton manning of the wide receivers, but i won't go that far.

Also keep in mind deion branch had a higher yards per reception than welker.

Yes, I think the 2003 offense was mediocre. They had far too many three and outs. They didn't score a lot of points. They had several big wins where the defense shut out the opponent (Miami, Cowboys, and Bills while holding Cleveland to 3 and four other teams to 16 points or less) and many of them the offense didn't score a TD. They played great in the Super Bowl (at least for two of the four quarters), but one game does not make an entire year's offense.

Yes, Branch was the MVP of the Super Bowl that year, but it was not a great season for him. He 803 yards and 3 TDs in the regular season. Even in the other two postseason he was mediocre at best. He had 3 catches for 10 yards vs. Tennessee and 2 catches for 23 yards against Indy. If consider that taking over the playoffs, you are high. He had one amazing game and two subpar games in the playoffs.

Deion Branch Game By Game Stats and Performance - New England Patriots - ESPN

See your problem is you want to take selective games and/or plays and make it a statement for something bigger. Branch had a decent season in 2003 and the 2003 Patriots offense was one of the worst ones of the Brady era. Yet, you want to take the Super Bowl and make it seems like the Pats were scoring 30 points a game all year and Branch was get over 100 yards every game. It wasn't the case.

The patriots need a reciever that can reproduce what branch did in 03-04 DURING THE PLAYOFFS!

Deion Branch - NFL Wide Receiver - YouTube

The patriots haven't won a superbowl since the patriots had a deep threat that can run slant routes.

The Pats already have plenty of guys who can perform far better than Branch performed in 2 of the 3 games in the playoffs that year. Again, he had 3 catches for 10 yards vs. Tennessee and 2 catches for 23 yards against Indy. You are rewriting history here. Branch was great in the Super Bowl and invisible in the Division and Championship rounds that year.

The Pats have three Super Bowl rings with no legitimate deep threats and zero rings with one and the Pats had one of the best in Randy Moss. In 2001, the only two WRs they had were Brown and Patten and neither were deep threats. In 2003 and 2004, they added Branch and Patten and neither of them were ever a deep threat. The Pats won their Super Bowls with strong defense and efficient, but not flashy offense.

Branch is more of a possession WR than anything else. He always made his bread and butter on the short to intermediate routes. Never really on many deep patterns and teams definitely weren't concerned about the deep routes in 2003. His only advantage over Welker was that he was a pretty good outside receiver in his prime, but not a deep one.

The Pats already have plenty of guys who can perform far better than Branch performed in 2 of the 3 games in the playoffs that year. Again, he had 3 catches for 10 yards vs. Tennessee and 2 catches for 23 yards against Indy. You are rewriting history here. Branch was great in the Super Bowl and invisible in the Division and Championship rounds that year.

The Pats have three Super Bowl rings with no legitimate deep threats and zero rings with one and the Pats had one of the best in Randy Moss. In 2001, the only two WRs they had were Brown and Patten and neither were deep threats. In 2003 and 2004, they added Branch and Patten and neither of them were ever a deep threat. The Pats won their Super Bowls with strong defense and efficient, but not flashy offense.

Branch is more of a possession WR than anything else. He always made his bread and butter on the short to intermediate routes. Never really on any deep patterns. His only advantage over Welker was that he was a pretty good outside receiver in his prime, but not a deep one.

You are just wrong about Patten. He was fast and threatened deeper parts of the field than anyone on the current team gets to. Averaged nearly 15 ypc in 01 and a gaudy 18 ypc in 04. Obviously they can win with current group, but every SB team had receivers with more speed than anyone on this team.

Yes, I think the 2003 offense was mediocre. They had far too many three and outs. They didn't score a lot of points. They had several big wins where the defense shut out the opponent (Miami, Cowboys) and the offense didn't score a TD. They played great in the Super Bowl (at least for two of the four quarters), but one game does not make an entire year's offense.

Yes, Branch was the MVP of the Super Bowl that year, but it was not a great season for him. He 803 yards and 3 TDs in the regular season. Even in the other two postseason he was mediocre at best. He had 43 catches for 10 yards vs. Tennessee and 2 catches for 23 yards against Indy. If consider that taking over the playoffs, you are high. He had one amazing game and two subpar games in the playoffs.

Deion Branch Game By Game Stats and Performance - New England Patriots - ESPN

See your problem is you want to take selective games and/or plays and make it a statement for something bigger. Branch had a decent season in 2003 and the 2003 Patriots offense was one of the worst ones of the Brady era. Yet, you want to take the Super Bowl and make it seems like the Pats were scoring 30 points a game all year and Branch was get over 100 yards every game. It wasn't the case.

"Yet, you want to take the Super Bowl and make it seems like the Pats were scoring 30 points a game all year and Branch was get over 100 yards every game. It wasn't the case." I never said that :eek: Look at how many times i highlighted POSTSEASON.

Does it really matter what branch did during season since he came through big in the superbowl with big clutch plays?

Apparently the regular season means more than the post season. The patriots during the 03-04 seasons were more efficient during the postseason than the welker led patriots.

Branch is more of a possession WR than anything else. He always made his bread and butter on the short to intermediate routes. Never really on many deep patterns and teams definitely weren't concerned about the deep routes in 2003. His only advantage over Welker was that he was a pretty good outside receiver in his prime, but not a deep one.

Branch did during the postseason.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a deep threat, but just a guy that can physically win the battle at the line of scrimmage and fight for the football. A guy with size and can go downfield, like Dez Bryant. I'd like for the team to look for a speedster in the draft and use free agency to get a bigger and more physical WR.

You are just wrong about Patten. He was fast and threatened deeper parts of the field than anyone on the current team gets to. Averaged nearly 15 ypc in 01 and a gaudy 18 ypc in 04. Obviously they can win with current group, but every SB team had receivers with more speed than anyone on this team.

Patten was the closest thing to a deep threat, but certainly wasn't a deep threat. They didn't call the offense of that era a dink and dunk offense for nothing. The Pats had no deep game. Gronk is more of a deep threat than anyone the Pats had in that era.

"Yet, you want to take the Super Bowl and make it seems like the Pats were scoring 30 points a game all year and Branch was get over 100 yards every game. It wasn't the case." I never said that :eek: Look at how many times i highlighted POSTSEASON.

Does it really matter what branch did during season since he came through big in the superbowl with big clutch plays?

Apparently the regular season means more than the post season. The patriots during the 03-04 seasons were more efficient during the postseason than the welker led patriots.

And if the Pats needed Branch to have come through in either two games leading up to the Super Bowl, they would have not made the Super Bowl.

Branch did during the postseason.

Branch had one great post season game. He was never a deep threat. The Pats have never won a Super Bowl with a deep threat WR and that is a fact.

And if the Pats needed Branch to have come through in either two games leading up to the Super Bowl, they would have not made the Super Bowl.

So playoff pressure is tougher than superbowl pressure with less than a minute to go?:rolleyes:

Branch had one great post season game. He was never a deep threat. The Pats have never won a Super Bowl with a deep threat WR and that is a fact.

branch was great against the panthers
branch was great against the steelers
branch was great during the last superbowl

Yes it's only 3 games, but they were three important for the patriots dynasty.

unless they draft one..i don't see them getting one unless the make a trade for harvin. Someone is going to overpay big for jennings. Mike wallace would be a boat load of $$ and would mean no welker

unless they draft one..i don't see them getting one unless the make a trade for harvin. Someone is going to overpay big for jennings. Mike wallace would be a boat load of $$ and would mean no welker

Who would you guys choose If jennings, wallace, and welker all asked for the same contract?

Who would you guys choose If jennings, wallace, and welker all asked for the same contrac.

Same contract? Welker. he knows brady like the back of his hand..doesn't have to re learn the O and catches everything weather he's a deep threat or not

(now comes in the people saying he always has big drops :rolleyes:)

But welker will be cheaper than jennings and wallace IMO this offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back