PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where is the love for Brandon Spikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get the, "he's bad in coverage" stuff. He seems to make more (big) plays in coverage than Mayo ever has (and I'm not trying to knock Mayo).

Last edited:
Spikes is a beast ~

Spikes is creating a rep for monster hits, and disruptive plays. I would like to see BB use him more to intimidate opposing QB's - We agree that Spikes lacks speed in coverage, so have him Blitz -
Keep Spikes in the oppositions backfield and QB's such as Sanchez will WET themselves !!!!!!

G

Spikes has gotten all kinds of love from various media outlets and members of this board. I don't know where the OP is getting the perceived slight or lack of love for Spikes.

So, who should the Pats have drafted in the 2nd round instead of Spikes?

;)

Last edited:
In the bottom left hand corner

Spikes is having a monster year. He is bursting through the line, clobbering guys, causing fumbles, disrupting plays, and in general just causing havoc. And he is not bad in coverage. He has become the enforcer in the middle that the Patriots have not had in years yet the douches in the press have hardly noticed; all they want to do is complain about the DBs. I don't get it....wait yes I do..baseball season is over so they need something else to complain about....

I agree and I think he's having a Pro Bowl calibre season. Mayo is too!

Spikes has gotten all kinds of love from various media outlets and members of this board. I don't know where the OP is getting the perceived slight or lack of love for Spikes.

The Radio. I drive a lot so I have to listen to the douches and not once have I heard a nice word about Spikes. Of course they never give a nice word on the Patriots and are even worse on the Red Sox.

All the Patriots talk is about about the DBs and Tom Brady getting old. Not once have the douches realized that the reason Brady is having trouble is that his WRs suck...BB even has to stick up for McCourty every week during his interview with the Big O.

I love Brandon Spikes. In the most heterosexual way possible. It's guy love.

The love is all here, man. It's good.

It's awesome to see Spikes develop the way he has. He is becoming a dominant player, and something of a leader on this defense. Players love to be around him. Hopefully he can stay healthy and out of trouble - it'd be nice to see him extended.

In regard to being a Pro Bowler, I don't know about that. He'd be against the likes of Willis and Bowman, and they'll have more sacks than Spikes. Voters go for sacks.

the way Spikes bursts through the line, I wish they would send him on more pass blitzes up the middle on third downs

I'd like to see Spikes Nail a few wide receivers when they came over the middle like Brian Cox did. That would put fear into the hearts of opposing wide outs, and cause them to develop alligator arms.

My only gripe about our LB corp is Mayo giving up short passes to RBs and TEs consistently.

I wouldn't go so far as to say he's 'not bad in coverage', but I agree that he has been playing very well this year.

You beat me to it. He certainly is no Sean Lee or Patrick Willis in pass coverage, that's for sure. He certainly isn't any better than average at best in pass coverage, and isn't the fastest on the field by any means.

I think that there are many great things about him as far as his positive attributes. He's excellent in run support, makes us strong up the middle, and plays with aggression--something we could use to see more from this defense outside of Wilfork, Spikes, and Mayo.

Spikes is a thumper, and one would assume that the front office will try to lock him up in the next year or so, prior to the start of the 2013 season.

I think that the front office/Belichick would like to see some of the following things from Spikes before giving up the bigger type of deal though:

---an injury free year, with the ability to stay on the field
---consistency in his play and his assignment reads
---leadership ability
---maturity and better decision making
---an overall next-level step up in play with at least 2 or more of 'other' things I described above

My only gripe about our LB corp is Mayo giving up short passes to RBs and TEs consistently.

I'm not trying to be negative by any means, but I don't think it's exactly shocking news that pretty much none of our LB's are any good in pass coverage. It certainly isn't just Jerod Mayo. Our LB's are run stopping thumpers...tackling machines, and they excel at that role, but they aren't any good in pass coverage at all.

The return of Fletcher next year (if he makes the team of course) would obviously help, but then again Belichick didn't feel comfortable enough to start him in the biggest game of the year last season, so what does that tell us?

With all 3 of White, Carpenter, and Koutouvides up for FA next year as our special teams LB's and 'coverage' guys, Belichick will have a tough decision ahead of him on how to improve that area.

Of course we all hope that Hightower will make that aspect of the LB corp better with his speed and coverage upside, but until that happens there is a void of sorts in the middle for sure.

Loved seeing Spikes break out his dancing moves in London. Pretty sure that was the first time this year. Love the Spikes shuffle. Looks like he even has incorporated some fancy hand movement into his routine. Almost had that pick. So close.

Wilfork and Mayo may be the heart and soul of the defense but Spikes is the fist. Stole that one from Fred of PFW.

Kudoes to Spikes! He looked much better yesterday against the pass than in previous games, and he continued to be excellent againt the run.

He has improved , but some of the completion if you notice.he looks and takes a stop and go motion. He just not fast enough to make up this. Like Bru he needs to decide and run. If he does this he will be even more effective and we can leave him in for some coverage duty.

satz

In regard to being a Pro Bowler, I don't know about that. He'd be against the likes of Willis and Bowman, and they'll have more sacks than Spikes. Voters go for sacks.

Willis and Bowman play in the NFC. Spikes is in the AFC so they're voted separately.

Any word on the injury that for him off the field after peads first long run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes