PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

where is the anger , where is the backlash???

Status
Not open for further replies.
This lockout business keeps constantly reminding me about an article i read some time ago. I loved how the writer presented football as so much more than a game and his primary example was the 2009 Saints and the effect that team had on the entire city.

Something like that shouldn't be taken away because of the rich wanting to get richer.

i just find it amazing people talk about fa , the schedule the draft pics and etc ,when the season is in somewhat doubt... I just find that 2 parties that have made so much money and is doing so well, are going to really screw the pooch... i find fault at both sides although the owners im still more upset with... i wont be one to say im done with football that would be foolish, but i would do like somepeople say , no more buying tickets paying for parking and etc.. might even cancel direct tv... but i wont follow football

It's fun to speculate, boring to just complain about the lockout 24/7.

You can't get angry over things you have no control over...to do so would be to flirt with insanity-o.

I hope they'll be a big backlash, it would suit me fine. But right now the players need to be crushed. If that means no football for a year, I'm all for it.:rocker:

Hopefully a whole bunch of them get paralyzed playing or suffer serious brain injuries as well, that would be awesome. The owners rock.

First, when did Chris Collinsworth become the aformost expert on the labor situation. He just has one opinion and it may not be anymore informed than any other one. He is an outsider making a prediction. He may have some more insight than the average fan, but he isn't privvy to the inner workings of either side. He might get representatives of each side giving him opinions, but it may not be the ultimate outcome. From what I read, he is taking the more negative view of the situation.

Second, once the 8th Circuit makes their ruling, things can happen quickly. If the owners lose, football begins immediately. If the players lose, the players may want to go back to the table especially if the mid-level players revolt (which there are signs they want to where they want to sue to get a seat at the table).

Third, why get upset in May? If we are in August and we are nowhere closer to a resolution, then we can start to complain. Right now, there is still plenty of time to get it resolved although it could affect the rookies. If they get this resolved by the end of June, there will be enough time for a two-three week free agency period and allow training camp to start on time. Much past that and then preseason schedules will need to be shortened.

Why should I waste my emotion on this nonsense? Its entertainment for me, livelihood for them. If they don't care who am I to give a damn?

Second, once the 8th Circuit makes their ruling, things can happen quickly. If the owners lose, football begins immediately. If the players lose, the players may want to go back to the table especially if the mid-level players revolt (which there are signs they want to where they want to sue to get a seat at the table).

I agree with the whole post but this part was what i wanted to address. If the players win that is the time that rank and file need to reign their counsel in and make it clear they want a fair deal that maintains the structure of the game. Their counsel will advise against this and will fight hard to go for a total win but that course really isn't in the best interests of the game or anyone involved in it. A player victory in Appeals should cause enough owners to reconsider their legal position and the overall situation so that they would be amenable to a fair deal and stop pushing for completely crushing the players. Both sides need to realize their responsibilities go beyond their own interests and that they have a responsibility to the fans and communities that have supported them so long.

yes its may, and its been a very long offseason... not alot to talk about... and im sure people are sick of lockout talk... But where is you view on all this... i see the post about chris collingsworth, that he thinks football wont happen till nov... really/?? and fans say oh well that is ok , some football is better than no football... garbage... 1982 was a garbage season... even though the pats made the playoffs that season sucked.... 87 also sucked missing one game and replacement players for 3.... im angry at both players and owners that it has gone this far,and if it goes that long ( november ) the way people are saying .... its time as fans to show anger back at the nfl for taking our game away.. there is no way they cant settle this and its going to drag into the courts... i want a full season of football it may not seem much now because most of our football clocks dont start till say aug 1st, and if that is not settled by then i would hope more fans would show anger and not say oh welll its ok we will play a 8 game season... i will say it again.. DEAR DUMMIES GET IT DONE....
"taking our game away" really? it's not your game it is the owners and players game ,you are asked to pay and watch. they have a right to argue and settle their differences any way they choose.get over yourself-ifyou don't like it don't come back when they settle(i suspect you will), but in the meantime get a life.:confused:

This lockout business keeps constantly reminding me about an article i read some time ago. I loved how the writer presented football as so much more than a game and his primary example was the 2009 Saints and the effect that team had on the entire city.

Something like that shouldn't be taken away because of the rich wanting to get richer.

the rich ALWAYS want to get richer,duh!!!:cool:

I agree with the whole post but this part was what i wanted to address. If the players win that is the time that rank and file need to reign their counsel in and make it clear they want a fair deal that maintains the structure of the game. Their counsel will advise against this and will fight hard to go for a total win but that course really isn't in the best interests of the game or anyone involved in it. A player victory in Appeals should cause enough owners to reconsider their legal position and the overall situation so that they would be amenable to a fair deal and stop pushing for completely crushing the players. Both sides need to realize their responsibilities go beyond their own interests and that they have a responsibility to the fans and communities that have supported them so long.

My biggest fear about the players' side is Jeffrey Kessler. If not reigned in, he will push this to the brink and push for a total free market system. That would destroy the NFL as we know it. The Bengals would have a $20 million payroll. The Redskins would have a $300 million payroll. There would be players making $30 million a year with others making $30k a year. It would be a total nightmare.

Win or lose, the players need to realize that pushing this antitrust case too far will not be good for them. It will help the Mannings and Bradys of the world, but the mid and low tiered players will get screwed not only during their playing career, but after they retire (there is no pension and other benefits for retired players in a free market system).

I won't get mad about something that may or may not happen.

Chris Collensworth PREDICTS that football won't start until November. Others predict that too much is at stake and the two sides will agree in time for the season to start.

So far we haven't missed much.

So far no free agent trades, no pouring over a list of nobodies that will likely get cut at the end of training camp (aka UDFA signings) no rookie minicamp. That is all that hasn't happened. So what?

If on Sept 8th at 8:30 when I turn on NBC, they are showing some other than a football game then I will be upset. Until then I am not going to waste anger and outrage on something that may not occur.

My biggest fear about the players' side is Jeffrey Kessler. If not reigned in, he will push this to the brink and push for a total free market system. That would destroy the NFL as we know it. The Bengals would have a $20 million payroll. The Redskins would have a $300 million payroll. There would be players making $30 million a year with others making $30k a year. It would be a total nightmare.

Win or lose, the players need to realize that pushing this antitrust case too far will not be good for them. It will help the Mannings and Bradys of the world, but the mid and low tiered players will get screwed not only during their playing career, but after they retire (there is no pension and other benefits for retired players in a free market system).

There is no doubt that Kessler and possibly Smith are looking for total victory and at least in Kessler's case is really looking for a win for the agents and not the players. To some degree they have to do so as legal counsel for the players as their legal obligation is to win the case for them, that's why it will be up to the rank and file, starting with the lead plaintiffs to sit them down and tell them how they want the deal structured and what they want the outcome to be. To date i have never heard so much as one player say they want a completely unfettered free market with no draft and no rules, and I really don't believe Brady wants to go down in football history as the guy whose name is attached to the end of football as we know it.

Until there is a decision the players have to maintain the stand of fighting for their rights under anti-trust laws, but once decided they can make a deal that maintains the basic structure that is financially fair and responsible for all, if the owners still want to deny them that then that will be on them, but hopefully some will show some sanity and forego the greed that is currently driving their bus.

Last edited:
If the Draft is any indication, the NFL should be worried, as the first night was down 16% over last year and the rest was down 28%. I think that suggests that there is a significant portion of the viewer base that will find something else to do on Sunday afternoon.

Well to be honest the drop in ratings at least for Thursday can be attributed to the draft going against some stiff competition on other TV networks that night including Steve Carell's final episode on The Office. I know that The Office could be DVRed and all but that to me was an episode meant to be seen live as it aired given its the write off of the show's lead character.

Well to be honest the drop in ratings at least for Thursday can be attributed to the draft going against some stiff competition on other TV networks that night including Steve Carell's final episode on The Office. I know that The Office could be DVRed and all but that to me was an episode meant to be seen live as it aired given its the write off of the show's lead character.

I think the primary reason for the drop is that those are ESPN number, iirc, and the NFL Network took a significant share from them. People who would watch the draft would DVR any other program that night, even though they could probably watch both without missing anything.

I think the primary reason for the drop is that those are ESPN number, iirc, and the NFL Network took a significant share from them. People who would watch the draft would DVR any other program that night, even though they could probably watch both without missing anything.

True. I was watching NFL Network's coverage in between ads on The Office along with Parks & Rec.

i just find it amazing people talk about fa , the schedule the draft pics and etc ,when the season is in somewhat doubt... I just find that 2 parties that have made so much money and is doing so well, are going to really screw the pooch... i find fault at both sides although the owners im still more upset with... i wont be one to say im done with football that would be foolish, but i would do like somepeople say , no more buying tickets paying for parking and etc.. might even cancel direct tv... but i wont follow football

It's football. It's a fun game to watch and to talk about. In the end, that's all it is. If it was outlawed tomorrow, you'd find something else to follow and talk about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back