PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where has Merriweather gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have been watching games in anticipation of a Merriweather apperance, but to no avail. I went to a couple training camp practices and he was getting consistent first team looks. Now I realize that Samules is back, but with Harrison out the first 4 games I figured we would see a good amount of him. Does anyone know if he has fallen out of grace with BB ? Granted Sanders has done a good job at SS, but Merriweather is faster, stronger and more athletic than Sanders. Just an observation.

PS Mankins eats people when he pulls!!!!!:rocker:rocker:

Re: Where has Merriweather gone ?

He's had some time on defense (mostly garbage time) and special teams. He's not gone anywhere and I think you underestimate Sanders and the solid player he has become.

Meriweather will likely replace Wilson next year assuming Wilson leaves as a UFA.

I have been watching games in anticipation of a Merriweather apperance, but to no avail. I went to a couple training camp practices and he was getting consistent first team looks. Now I realize that Samules is back, but with Harrison out the first 4 games I figured we would see a good amount of him. Does anyone know if he has fallen out of grace with BB ? Granted Sanders has done a good job at SS, but Merriweather is faster, stronger and more athletic than Sanders. Just an observation.

He's gone to the same place where nearly all defensive rookies go with Belichick - on the bench for the most part, taking his time and learning the system

Seriously, he has been getting time in nickel and dime packages, which is exactly what we suspected would be the case...

People have high expectations that 1st round picks will start but that's really not the desired situation on the Patriots - better that he be integrated slowly and learn what many consider a complicated secondary defensive scheme

He's a rookie. Considering the wealth of talent on this team, we're past the stage where every 1st rounder starts from Day 1. I heavily doubt he's fallen out of grace.

I'm not really sure what people are expecting out of meriweather this year. I think he's done well. With Wilson at FS, I dont think Brandon was ever going to come in right away and start. He'll be a good starter, dont worry.

He's gone to the same place where nearly all defensive rookies go with Belichick - on the bench for the most part, taking his time and learning the system

Seriously, he has been getting time in nickel and dime packages, which is exactly what we suspected would be the case...

People have high expectations that 1st round picks will start but that's really not the desired situation on the Patriots - better that he be integrated slowly and learn what many consider a complicated secondary defensive scheme

Yup. We didn't really see hardly any of Hobbs while he was learning until they finally replaced Starks with him. We have a solid group of DB's so there's no need to rush him in too soon. Let him learn, he'll have plenty chances to play on this team.

Meriweather should be seen more tonight as a a dime back. After Harrison's return, he will be seen even less than now.

Faster, stronger and more athletic isn't how you get reps or game time on this team. It's making good reads and adjustments, limited mistakes, and just doing the job. Merriweather has lots of potential, but Sanders is apparently a lot more consistent and reliable at this juncture. Wilson and Sanders jobs have been to hold the fort absent Rodney, and they have been doing that pretty well in conjunction with Hobbs, Samuel and Gay. Adding a rookie into the mix arbitrarily just to give him exposure is not a viable option when the goal is to win. You may see him get worked in a little more rotationally once Rodney does get back and is in a position to direct traffic in the secondary.

Meriweather should be seen more tonight as a a dime back. After Harrison's return, he will be seen even less than now.

No kidding, huh?

Think the pass and multiple receiver sets might be a small part of the Bengals gameplan tonight?

He's had some time on defense (mostly garbage time) and special teams. He's not gone anywhere and I think you underestimate Sanders and the solid player he has become.

Meriweather will likely replace Wilson next year assuming Wilson leaves as a UFA.

Agreed, Sanders has done a real nice job and probably doesnt get enough credit.

Last edited:

No kidding, huh?

Think the pass and multiple receiver sets might be a small part of the Bengals gameplan tonight?

Nah, I think they'll borrow the reverse-psychology plan from the Chargers and run it up the gut on first, second, and third down every series. Johnson and Houshmandzadeh will each get three passes thrown their way the entire game. :p

When Meriweather has been on the field he hasn't been picked on. He hasn't been exposed. He hasn't jumped routes and abandoned assignments looking for a flashy play. OTOH, he also hasn't shown a glimpse of elite talent. At this point signs point to a career as a solid FS. Will he be a star? Maybe not. But a solid starting player in the secondary is nothing to sneeze at. I'm comfortable with that result, if he can attain it.

Last edited:

Granted Sanders has done a good job at SS, but Merriweather is faster, stronger and more athletic than Sanders.

Hold on a second...

James Sanders draft measurables (from Pro Day):
5' 11", 214
40: 4.65
Reps: 22
Vertical: 36"
Broad: 9' 4"
Shuttle: 4.02
3-cone: 7.12

Meriweather draft measurables (from Pro Day where available, otherwise from combine):
5' 11", 195
40: 4.47
Reps: 11
Vertical: 35
Broad: 9' 0"
Shuttle: 4.42
3-cone: 7.06

Meriweather was drafted based on football skills and smarts, NOT on size, speed and strength. Sanders is bigger, stronger and has been playing pretty darned well. Yes, it would have been nice if our #1 pick were such a stud that he forced his way onto the field, but given that the 5 top secondary guys ahead of him have been very solid I'm giving him a pass at this point. This was obviously a pick with an eye to 2008.

he'll mature similarly as other patriots' first rounders do, to become starters. They don't miss much.
also remember, the best time to fill a need is right before it becomes a need. His presence may not be necessary now, but we'll appreciate him down the road.

Isn't the real question "who is out there who shouldn't be?"

Samuel, Hobbs, Gay, Sanders and Wilson are all healthy and playing well - knock on wood. If any of the vets were struggling, then you might well ask "where is our rookie?" But with them all playing well, you go with experience period.

Lets give him another year or two before we crown him as another wasted pick like some do with Chad Jackson

He's pursuing his rap career under the stage name "Hollaman" with Greg Olsen and Jon Beason.

Forget Merriweather, tell us more about this Samules character.

Wilson has been playing noticeably better this year and tonight will obviously be a stiffer test for him. I wonder if part of that improvement has been down to the increased competition from Meriweather.

Merriweather is a ball hawking FS...
He's not stronger than Sanders either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey