PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where does Mario Williams rank among NFL defenders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
In my opinion, this is why the Bills are the Bills. They are determined to pay a guy waaay more than he is worth, rather than looking at what types of value is available. Sure, they have a lot of cap room, but that is very short-sighted. Next year, they won't have a ton of cap room and they'll wonder where all that money is tied up. Any easy glance of their roster will show an above average- but nowhere near DPOY candidate, eating up about $20M in cap space when there are tons of holes everywhere. We are talking about a guy who has played 18 games over the past two seasons and is considered by most to be a second tier pass rusher (good, but nowhere near Demarcus Ware or Julius Peppers caliber.) Williams has injury concerns and hasn't made a pro bowl since 2009. Obviously, the fact the Texans are not going near this one due to the money it will cost, should tell you something.

So, am I alone in my thinking that if you are going to make a guy the highest paid defender in the league, he should be one of the top defenders? Before free agency started, I don't think too many pundits would have listed Williams among their top 15 overall defensive players in the league, but suddenly he is the best of the best? This reminds me of last year when Nmandi Asomugha went from being a very good cornerback to the greatest cornerback of all-time due to a weak free agent class. I'm sure the Eagles wish they could have that one back, along with all their other irresponsible moves. Like the Bills, they thought they had the cap room, so why not? Well, here's why not. Now they are overpaying a ton of players and have an 8-8 team that won't go anywhere until those contracts expire in a few years.

Get ready for the Bills to "win" the free agency period this year and get praised, only to finish 5-11 next season and start over again.

If his recent injury problems are isolated and he goes back to playing 16 games like he did his first few years, I think this is entirely worth it for the Bills. I think he's good enough and makes a big enough impact to deserve that money.

If he only plays 8-12 games a season, it's not worth it. The Bills will still need every man on deck to make the playoffs in this division, so it's not even like they can just hope he's healthy FOR the playoffs.

I really believe the cap will skyrocket in 2 years.

If you look at the massive expansion of TV fees for the college football game, the NFL is about to experience a huge TV revenues bonanza.

So, to summarize this deal:

Mario Williams is paid the most amount of any defender in the NFL, but at his very best, he is maybe the 10th best defender in the NFL.

Even if he plays out of his mind, better than he's played before, the money might be worth the player they're getting. More likely, Williams will be a good player who puts up 10-12 sacks a year (there are about 10-15 players who can do that.) And then there's the possibility that he won't fit in (Albert Haynesworth style) or will get injured.

It's almost impossible for this to be a good deal for Buffalo. There's a reason you never see the NFL's elite teams make moves like this.

Last edited:
IMO, Mario Williams is the best defensive player in the NFL. Better than Revis.

The Bills paid him as such, whether that may prove to be a bad move or not, you can't fault their ambition.

slightly ahead of Jermaine Cunningham.....

Revis >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mario Williams.

To answer your question, it depends if the Bills get the Mario of 07-08 or the Mario of late (injuries notwithstanding).

The Bills paid him as such, whether that may prove to be a bad move or not, you can't fault their ambition.

PLEASE tell me you are kidding! You are joking, right? This is just to get me riled up, right?

Allen, Justin Smith, JPP, Suggs, and Peppers, to name the ones who are meant to ruin offenses in the same ways.

It's all going to sound like sour grapes to an outsider, but I don't think he could have added a whole lot to that defense last year. Barwin, Watt, and Reed were animals, and Watt did it as a 3-4 end.

The Bills have to face Brady twice a year, and you don't beat Brady without putting him on the ground.

The Bills get to face Markie Mark and the Fun bunch twice a year, and The Dirty One vapor locks if you can pressure him (especially if you get to him early).

This signing will be loved by Bills fans, at least for a while.

Considering the "it's not about the money" talk followed by signing the biggest contract ever for a defender, I get the feeling Mario isn't in this for a whole lot more than the money. His word seems to be about as good as Haynesworth's right now.

My thought on Williams: if this guy is really worth being the top-paid defensive player in the NFL, why were the Texans completely fine with letting him walk?

Yes he costs a lot of money and yes they have some promising young players behind him, but still, if he's really that good you don't let him go, right?

My thought on Williams: if this guy is really worth being the top-paid defensive player in the NFL, why were the Texans completely fine with letting him walk?

Yes he costs a lot of money and yes they have some promising young players behind him, but still, if he's really that good you don't let him go, right?

It is possible to overpay the top paid player in the NFL

They obviously believe in the scheme more than his ability!

They didnt do badly without him last season when he went down.

No cap room. As of 4 days ago, they were almost $5M over the cap.

Julian Edelman < Mario Williams

As far as measureables/natural ability he's a top ten player easy.

His production and game to game impact has only shown in spurts, but the one thing you notice with Williams is that on 5 and 7 step patterns he almost always commands a second man on a bump; a player you have to gameplan for.

He's not the best at his position, but he's high up there; would've loved to see him on this team. But for what Buffalo paid they can have him and his health risk/cap numbers the next three seasons.

As far as measureables/natural ability he's a top ten player easy.

His production and game to game impact has only shown in spurts, but the one thing you notice with Williams is that on 5 and 7 step patterns he almost always commands a second man on a bump; a player you have to gameplan for.

He's not the best at his position, but he's high up there; would've loved to see him on this team. But for what Buffalo paid they can have him and his health risk/cap numbers the next three seasons.

He's a very good player, an excellent speed rusher who has learned to use his hands well, particularly when coming on the edge. But he isn't as good if the bigger tackles can get into his body. Just ask Bushrod, who conducted a clinic on how to block Mario Williams.

Wannestadt will run a 4-3 and Williams will play a lot of 5 and 6 technique with some stunts inside. He's not a great run defender, but he's more than adequate. My feeling is that the Bills are getting a very good player but it's a big overpay.

It's kind of like the hometown discount, only in reverse.

The Bills have to overpay by about 15%-20% to get guys to go to Buffalo.

He'll still be able to experience a Houston winter when he's in Buffalo--I think they call it August.

It's kind of like the hometown discount, only in reverse.

The Bills have to overpay by about 15%-20% to get guys to go to Buffalo.

He'll still be able to experience a Houston winter when he's in Buffalo--I think they call it August.

This. Nobody wants to go to buffalo. And if their coaching staff want to keep their jobs, they need to splash their money now. They need to generate publicity there and the only way is by signing big name players. I think they made the best decision possible.

Sorry if this offends any of you but there's more to decision making than just player and cap space. You have to consider geography, market, media, PR, owner confidence, locker room, etc. most of these factors are not known to fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back