PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where does Kevin Faulk rank among Pats all-time RBs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloyd_Christmas

I can delete my own crap!
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This was a good article about Kevin Faulk and whether or not he is one of the best RBs of all time for the Patriots:

New England Patriots Examiner: Kevin Faulk: One of the best running backs in Patriots' history?

Teaser:

"A friend of mine asked me the other day where Kevin Faulk ranks among the best running backs in Patriots' history.
Initially, I laughed at the suggestion. But he was rather persistent.
He actually made some compelling arguments. So I decided to take a closer look."

Re: Where does Kevin Faulk rank among Pats alltime RBs?

he's up there....

I would put cunningham, martin, nance, collins ahead of him

Stat wise he might not be too high. If there was a stat for clutch catches he'd be ranked pretty high. He's one of those players who never has had big numbers but always comes thru when counted on.

Last edited:

He claimed that Faulk, dollar for dollar, might be the best bargain in the NFL given what he means to the Patriots’ offense.

He's been worth every penny :)

Stat wise he might not be too high. If there was a stat for clutch catches he'd be ranked pretty high. He's one of those players who never has had big numbers but always comes thru when counted on.

The article does list some stats.

If you limit the discussion of best ever to career stats, clearly Faulk is among the top 3 best RBs ever.

If you factor in his longevity and how that skews the career numbers, you have to drop him down.

I still think he ranks in the top 10 though.

Career stats:

Among RB's only:
Rushing yards - 8th (within reach of 4th this coming season)
Receptions - 1st
Receiving yards - 1st

Among all Patriot players:
Receptions - 4th
Receiving Yards - 8th
Punt Returns - 6th
Kick Returns -1st

You also have to factor in his rushes/receptions resulting in a first down... it has to be pretty high, as well as his excellent pass protection.

Whatever they are paying that dude, it ain't enough.

Do any other Patriot backs have 3 rings? I cast aside the #s outside of that. As far as Im concerned, he's the best back we've ever had. Few Pats players have ever been more clutch. That is an EXTREMELY short list. Of maybe one.

He is the best Patriot RB ever period

He is one of the best Patriots ever regardless of position.

If you go by single seasons he may not be up there but his 10 seasons and counting combine to be better than any other patriot IMO. You add in the stats, the clutch plays, the STs, the titles, and the intangibles (like pass protection and protecting the ball) and I don't think there is much question.

There have been guys who doned the uniform who were better (Dillon and Martin come to mind) but no one put in a body of patriot work together like him.

K Faulk :youtheman:

I like Don Calhoun, but anyone that got to look at john Hannah's ass every time they carried the ball should get an asterisk*

*My grandmother would have averaged a solid 3.5 per carry behind Hog.

He may not be the best statistically, but he may be the most "clutch" RB the Pats have had in their history.

Depends on your criteria. For talent, I'd say Martin. For best single season, I'd say Dillon. For providing the strongest and most lasting value to a winning team, I'd say Faulk's right there with him.

Last edited:

He's at or near the top of my list. Not just of RB's, but all-time favorite players.

If you go by some criterion like "average of his few best seasons as a Patriot", it's reasonable to put Martin and Dillon ahead of him, because of how many touches they got. But who else? Sam Bam? Honestly, he was before my time as Patriot fan, and I think of him mainly as a college player.

He is the best Patriot RB ever period

He is one of the best Patriots ever regardless of position.

If you go by single seasons he may not be up there but his 10 seasons and counting combine to be better than any other patriot IMO. You add in the stats, the clutch plays, the STs, the titles, and the intangibles (like pass protection and protecting the ball) and I don't think there is much question.

There have been guys who doned the uniform who were better (Dillon and Martin come to mind) but no one put in a body of patriot work together like him.

K Faulk :youtheman:

Kevin Faulk has been the second most important offensive player on the Patriots over the past 6-7 years now. There have been bigger and better talents around him, but this offense does not function right without Faulk. I don't think any other Patriots RB has contributed more significantly and reliably to the team for a longer period of time.

This is a very interesting question.In my view I put Sam Cunningham and Curtis Martin ahead of Him but I put him on the same line with Tony Collins,Corey Dillon and Jim Nance.Kevin's contributions are many and varied but He's right up there with the best.

Last edited:
I would put Cunningham and Nance ahead of him.

What I find interesting is how Faulk changed a lot of Patriot's fans perceptions of him after he learned to hold on to the ball. I remember just dreading seeing him with the ball in his hands in any clutch situation. Now....it is just the opposite. He is a great Patriot player by any measure and a true fan favorite now. That was definitely not always the case.

He worked at it and earned it.

Craig James was a another one.

Kevin Faulk has been the second most important offensive player on the Patriots over the past 6-7 years now. There have been bigger and better talents around him, but this offense does not function right without Faulk. I don't think any other Patriots RB has contributed more significantly and reliably to the team for a longer period of time.

exactly...........

You got that right he has done so much from the return game to being clutch receiving back, he is undoubtedly the most versatile player on the offense currently. He always comes up big in the playoffs or key games I don't think anyone can say enough for what he has done during his career in here New England. He is the kind of football player you love to have at your team because he can do so much...hah just remember you can't say versatile with out Troy Brown.

From the top, I would put him behind Martin....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes