PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where do you think the 2009 Patriots will end up?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

2009 Patriots Regular season result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So after a poor road performance against the Dolphins and our first consecutive game losing streak in quite some time, where do you see this team ending up?

I guarantee, with absolutely no doubt in my mind that they win the AFC East.

They've already clinched the tiebreaker over the Jets and the Dolphins remaining schedule will be too much for them to handle.

Patriots (7-5) (3-2)
vs Panthers (5-7)
@ Bills (4-8)
vs Jaguars (7-5)
@ Texans (5-7)

Dolphins (6-6) (4-2)
@ Jaguars (7-5)
@ Titans (5-7)
vs Texans (5-7)
vs Steelers (6-6)

Jets (6-6) (2-4)
@ Buccaneers (1-11)
vs Falcons (6-6)
@ Colts (12-0)
vs Bengals (9-3)

I think that they should squeak out the AFC East championship......then will get annihilated in the playoffs....this defense and our coaching staff are not going to get it done against the better teams........I'm just hoping they don't choke away the AFC east title.....I have no confidence in this team or the coaches....been a long time since I had absolutely NO confidence in my Pats......

Defense through 12 games for both teams...

2007 Giants: 21.4 PPG
2009 Patriots: 20.5 PPG

After the last four weeks, do you seriously think that this defense belongs on the same field... in the same breath... as the 2007 Giants defense?

2007 Giants: 10-6
Record Against Playoff Teams: 1-5

Playoff opponents regular season results

Bucs: Did not play in regular season
Cowboys: 0-2
Packers: 0-1
Patriots: 0-1

You just need to peak at the right time.

Uh oh....you brought up the 2007 Giants. Just wait for the 400 responses to you saying "BUT THE GIANTS DEFENSE WAS SO UBER AWESOME THAT YEAR BLAH BLAH BLAH"......:rolleyes:

After the last four weeks, do you seriously think that this defense belongs on the same field... in the same breath... as the 2007 Giants defense?

Even looking beyond the first 12 weeks, the Giants finished the 2007 regular season giving up 21.9 points per game, compared to the Patriots current 20.5 PPG.

So as of right now the Patriots 2009 regular season defense is statistically performing better than the 2007 Giants regular season defense did.

However, that's not the point I'm trying to make. Rather, trying to put some things in perspective, mainly in response to people on the board who are acting as if the Patriots have one of the worst defenses in the NFL, which is clearly not the case.

Yes, the last 3/4 games have been disappointing but I personally would not blame it all on the defense. Uncharacteristically bad coaching decisions and costly turnovers have been the bigger problem with me.

Even looking beyond the first 12 weeks, the Giants finished the 2007 regular season giving up 21.9 points per game, compared to the Patriots current 20.5 PPG.

So as of right now the Patriots 2009 regular season defense is statistically performing better than the 2007 Giants regular season defense did.

However, that's not the point I'm trying to make. Rather, trying to put some things in perspective, mainly in response to people on the board who are acting as if the Patriots have one of the worst defenses in the NFL, which is clearly not the case.

Yes, the last 3/4 games have been disappointing but I personally would not blame it all on the defense. Uncharacteristically bad coaching decisions and costly turnovers have been the bigger problem with me.

I'm not trying to attack you. I enjoy your posts. But I have to disagree with you on this. The defense just yielded 350 yards to Chad Henne today. Chad Henne. The guy with the worst receiving corps in the league. The guy whose offensive line and running backs are banged up. They aren't the WHOLE reason for this and the other losses, but they are a big reason for them. I do agree with your turnover and decision stance though.

Two big differences between the 07 Giants D and the Pats D: QB pressure and open-field tackling. The Giants were superior in both categories. I haven't seen the stats on YAC for the Dolphins, but it seems like the D has been whiffing on tackles lately. I don't know that either of these can be turned around quickly. Perhaps the latter...

I'm not trying to attack you. I enjoy your posts.

Likewise sir.

Basically I don' think the defense is as ineptly bad as people are making them out to be. But losing 3 out of the last 4 games with the latest being at the hands of Chad Henne certainly gives fans the right to feel as they do.

Last edited:
This is one of those seasons where things happen for a reason and you tell yourself that it simply isn't meant to be this year. Losing to Indianapolis left me unsure of the Patriots going forward. That lingering feeling about the defense...

I felt that the lost to Indy was a blown opportunity. Winning that game might have placed them in a good position to compete for both the second and first seed in the playoffs. However, given how things have turned out since that game, I'm not convinced that New England is capable of reaching the Super Bowl this season.

I never was sold on the defense as a whole. Despite the early struggles of the offense, it was the defense that I saw was the real problem. The team simply isn't winning on the road and the predicament they've put themselves in now places them in the inevitable position of needing to win on the road in order to reach the Super Bowl likely being the third or fourth seed. Yes, they will clinch a playoffs spot, but my expectations are low. Host a game, win a game, and don't expect anything more than that.

Before the season, I looked over the schedule and felt that a lost to Baltimore, Denver, Tennessee, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Miami and maybe Carolina were real possibilities. I didn't expect a lost to the Jets. Needless to say, my concern for certain games on the schedule proved correct. I'm disappointed, but not surprised.

I won't be surprised if we make it to the SB. We can beat any AFC team.

Last edited:
The 2007 Giants had a Super Bowl calibur defense and weren't getting good play from their quarterback. As of today, we definitely... without a shadow of a doubt... do NOT have a Super Bowl calibur defense. On top of that, we're getting iffy play out of our quarterback. One could improve, the other one will not.

As mentioned in another thread, the Giant's so called Super Bowl calibre defense gave up 45,35,31,41, 38 and 21 points in their 6 losses.

If Miami wins out and we lose another conference game, Miami is the division champ.

I'm thinking we should get used to idea that we may be hearing "Miami Dophins, Back to Back AFC East Champions."

If Miami wins out and we lose another conference game, Miami is the division champ.

Miami plays 4 teams that all have a good chance of beating them.

I see it this way. 11-5, 10-6 final record. First round game against a wildcard team, with a win. Play Indy in the second round, win. Get crushed in the AFC Conference Game by San Diego at San Diego. San Diego vs. Saints/Vikings in the Super Bowl.

I can't the Patriots sweeping the last four games. If the Dolphines win against Jacksonville there will win the division.

I can't the Patriots sweeping the last four games. If the Dolphines win against Jacksonville there will win the division.

3 are against teams with losing records and the one winning team (Jaguars) will be coming to Foxboro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back