PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

where do you put Drew in the best qb list NE ever had ?

You forget how purely talented a passer Eason was. He personally carried the Pats on his shoulders in 1987 after the retirement of John Hannah and the collapse of the running game. The problem with Eason was that he was not as dedicated a career player as Grogan, Brady or Bledsoe.

The reason it is difficut to compare the QBs is because they all brought different levels of plusses and minuses to the table. Brady is ultaimtely the best because of his willingness to do the homework. Grogran perservered on pure guts, but made too many mistakes. Bledsoe relied too much on his talent and thus also made mistakes, which becamwe his ultimate downfall. Eason could have been a great QB if he weren't such a California guy.

In terms of pure talent, my top 3 are...

1. Eason
2. Bledsoe
3. Brady

I stop as 3 because I don't honestly recall how good a QB Parilli was and how to compare him to Grogan.

In terms of dedication and willingless to do the homework...

1. Brady (by a landslide)
2. Grogan (because of his guts)
3. Eason (not sure about this one, but he must have done something right to hold all the Patriot throwing records prior to Bledsoe's arrival).

Are you using the same internet as me?

Brady, Bledsoe, Parilli, Grogan, Eason, Plunkett.

Eason undeniably talented, but we're including toughness and leadership, no?

Parilli? Quarterbacks threw long and handed off, so nobody passed for over 60% until the recent west coast/dump off offenses.

Johnny Unitas might have been the greatest all time and he never completed 60%

Grogan was tough, but so are the three ahead of him and they were more talented/consistent passers.

You forget how purely talented a passer Eason was. He personally carried the Pats on his shoulders in 1987 after the retirement of John Hannah and the collapse of the running game. The problem with Eason was that he was not as dedicated a career player as Grogan, Brady or Bledsoe.

The reason it is difficut to compare the QBs is because they all brought different levels of plusses and minuses to the table. Brady is ultaimtely the best because of his willingness to do the homework. Grogran perservered on pure guts, but made too many mistakes. Bledsoe relied too much on his talent and thus also made mistakes, which becamwe his ultimate downfall. Eason could have been a great QB if he weren't such a California guy.

In terms of pure talent, my top 3 are...

1. Eason
2. Bledsoe
3. Brady

I stop as 3 because I don't honestly recall how good a QB Parilli was and how to compare him to Grogan.

In terms of dedication and willingless to do the homework...

1. Brady (by a landslide)
2. Grogan (because of his guts)
3. Eason (not sure about this one, but he must have done something right to hold all the Patriot throwing records prior to Bledsoe's arrival).

with his talent Eason could have been immense also in my opinion

anyway for some years he was extremely good

with his talent Eason could have been immense also in my opinion

anyway for some years he was extremely good

No doubt about his talent, but I can't see Eason playing with his finger falling off like Drew.

For all his faults, Drew was tough. No room for cowards in football, in my opinion.

Drew Bledsoe at the end of 1998 was really amazing playing with broken finger some awesome games.

but Tony Eason was surely a top talent as said before and i agree with it

Yikes! Tony Eason as our fifth best QB? I'd rather not have think past #4 then.

Eason wasn't that bad for a Patriots QB. We were just awful for so many years. Grogan was a favorite of mine, but he wasn't really that great if I look objectively at what he did. He was exciting, though.

My list:
Brady
Bledsoe
Eason
Grogan
(don't remember before Grogan really)

perhaps it is a easy answer to put him at n.2 ?

here my top 6 picks:

1- Tom Brady
2- Drew Bledsoe
3- Steve Grogan
4- Babe Parilli
5- Tony Eason
6 - Plunkett

Great list and hard to argue with one and two and I guess there's reasonable debate about where Eason and Grogan belong. In terms of careers, tho, the list is thin past the very top and so it got me thinking about comparable lists and which teams would come off really strong at the top. Here are my thoughts (trying, imperfectly no doubt, to capture where players played most of their career or where they were most identified)

Cowboys: Aikman, Staubach
Colts: Unitas, Peyton Manning
Eagles: VanBrocklin, Jurgensen
Forty Niners: Montana, Young, Tittle
Giants: (Tittle), Simms
Redskins: Jurgensen, Theismann
Dolphins: Marino, Bob Griese
Packers: Starr, Favre

Last edited:
anyway in approx 47 years existence the Pats had not so many good qb

(only Tom Brady, fenomenal, + Drew Bledsoe, Steve Grogan, Tony Eason and Babe Parilli)

probably and infortunately the 'worst' have been much more

Last edited:
perhaps it is a easy answer to put him at n.2 ?

here my top 6 picks:

1- Tom Brady
2- Drew Bledsoe
3- Steve Grogan
4- Babe Parilli
5- Tony Eason
6 - Plunkett

Here's my list and I think that I've seen all of them
1 Tom Brady
2.Steve Grogan
3.Drew Bledsoe
4.Babe Parilli
5.Jim Plunkett
I hate to disagree with You my Italian Friend but I put Tony Eason just ahead of Joe Kapp in the pecking order of Patriots' Quarterbacks.To be more precise,I list Him second from the bottom of the barrel.

Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back