PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where do you go for player info???

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestpatsfan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Now that the season is over and the games are done until bowl season starts, where do you go for information on players?

I love the draft, but I will be the first to admit that I am not as informed as many of you. I try to watch as many games as I can, but even that limits you to what you can see from a player. Usually I start really getting involved around senior bowl week when I can see players under more focus. I would love to start earlier this year, but have found it difficult to find video or info on players, so I was hoping some of you could point me in the right direction.

Being a rookie, I am not allowed to post links. These are the sites I normally visit for draft information

Video
sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/draft/2008/video/?c=Player&p=86689
rivals.com/video.asp?section=nfldraft&pkey=3411

Scouting reports (free)
footballdraftanalysis.com
draftcountdown.com
walterfootball.com
fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft
footballsfuture.com
cdsdraft.com

I read what briz types..........if the pats did what he says, they would be very exciting.........they'd have chad jackson,T.O., and ocho cinco to go along with moss, and they'd have like 22 CB's on the roster........but they wouldn't win too many games because they wouldn't have any offensive linemen or linebackers

I generally prefer posters in this forum. Ochmed is my SEC/ACC scout, but sees guys from everywhere. Seneschal and Sebman have good insights on most players. Box of Rocks and PatChick (or PatChick87...damn me for not remembering which) seem to have a great handle on Patriots' tendencies.

Last year, for example, Ochmed said in January or so that Dwight Lowery, out of powerhouse San Jose St, had the best ball skills he'd seen that year. Then he ran a 4.65 and he fell, but he might be the best rookie CB in the league this year, over guys like McKelvin, Talib, Rodgers-Cromartie, Cason, Flowers (who's also been excellent), and the other highly regarded CBs from a year ago.

This kind of insight is gold, compared to all the "experts" who fall all over themselves parroting each other.

Incidently, the same poster spoke highly of David Pittman two or three years ago, and he's been a pretty good corner for Baltimore (I think). He was just released because of a rash of injuries at another position, but I'd expect Belichick to try to get a look at him given our secondary problems.

Last edited:
patsfans.com. Not only do the posters here have an amazing knowledge of the prospects, but they know the Pats needs and understand the Pats system much better than any national draft pundits ever could.

Aside from that, rivals.com for videos, nfldraftscout, fftoolbox, walterfootball for scouting reports. nfldraftcountdown.com forums for additional input. And I bought Lindy's draft magazine last year, which I found was an excellent resource and its good to have a hard copy of something, especially on draft day.

Also, nfl.com has some great stuff, especially around the combine. Lots of videos of players and analysis, Mayock is great.

Last edited:
patsfans.com. Not only do the posters here have an amazing knowledge of the prospects, but they know the Pats needs and understand the Pats system much better than any national draft pundits ever could.

I think that is the key, when we look at prospects, we look at them from a pure Patriots point of view. That makes it much more meaningful than thumbing through the Mel Diaper Jr. book. (Although I personnally thought Joel Bushbaum's book was the best.)

Also a lot of posters on this board are incredibly in depth.

I have been using NFLDraftScout.com for the past 3 years and will continue top pay for it.

I also go to the other sites and to comparisons to look for where they agree and where they disagree. Then I try and look at the players from a purely Pats perspective, looking for things like " doesn't like to tackle against the run" or "Tight hips" or "great leader" or "instinctive as well as a film rat".

Over the years, I've had a few picks correct, including the pick of Matt Light. It used to be that I would get upset and go back to the scouting reports and be like "WTF is BB doing", but I've trited to get away from that and look at it from the perspective of "Ok, how does this help the Patriots." It doesn't always work, but I've been able to stay away from more of the "popular" picks and been able to guess which guys the Pats weren't going to take.

And, even though I don't agree with people on here, I do listen to what they bring. And I've come to respect several of the posters views, including Ochmed's, though I don't necessarily agree with them.

Ditto on NFLDraftscout.com, it has a lot of good info, it's not free but worth the $25 or so. I had the Pats taking Wheatley in the 2nd round based in part on what I read at that site. You can get some of their stuff free at NFL.com when the draft gets close if you want to wait. I hunt around various other places to get video that's mostly highlight reel stuff.

Last edited:
I read what briz types..........if the pats did what he says, they would be very exciting.........they'd have chad jackson,T.O., and ocho cinco to go along with moss, and they'd have like 22 CB's on the roster........but they wouldn't win too many games because they wouldn't have any offensive linemen or linebackers

Briz? I'd go with Ron Borges. They'd have Koren Robinson instead of that bum Seymour. Drew Bledsoe would still be slinging the ball down the field too. Woohoo! Good times, good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes