PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where do the QBs go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffbiologist

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
We are all reading alot of mocks now, and a couple will surely be taken high. The value of QBs is relative to draft position and to how many teams need them for sure. Its accepted they are over valued, but holding pick #33 is more to our advantage if there are teams that want to trade up over other teams. Contract length is certainly more valued for QBs considering they usually take some time to develop. I would say teams in positions 32, 31,(28??) etc would be more likely positions to trade up to to get that extra year of control on first rounders......but is this likely to be affected at all by the CBA? Guys like Mallett,Ponder and Locker should be in play at the bottom of the first. I can see 33 trade potential lessened if the better playoff teams trade down and out of the first. Where are the top 5 likely to land and who is going to trade up to where to get them is going to be very interesting. I count 5 QBs with 1-2 rd value and about 8 teams looking for QBs. Which teams will look for vets(McNabb,etc)?

Cam Newton #1 to the Panthers
Blaine Gabbert #4 to the Bengals
Jake Locker #12 to the Vikings
Colin Kaepernick #15 to the Dolphins

Calling it now :cool:

In my dreams!

We need Ryan Mallet to be picked somewhere in the 1st round.

I don't know who goes where, but I do know Blaine Gabbert throws off his back foot. Shame on whoever drafts that guy!

We need Ryan Mallet to be picked somewhere in the 1st round.

I'm a 100% behind this post..... Would pay dividends for us at #28.

Cam Newton going in the top 10 would be very sweet as well but I doubt it......

Last edited:
The QB picture is astonishingly muddled. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ryan Mallett top 10, or out of the first round altogether. I wouldn't be suprised, either, for a Colin Kaepernick or Christian Ponder to sneak up above Mallet and/or Locker.

I don't even dare try a mock at this point. Hoping that more info leaks out as we get into pro days.

hoping for 3 before our pick at 17 (gabbert, newton and Lockyer/mallett) then hoping for someone to be gaging for locker/mallet at pick 33.

Thats my ideal scenario. get as many qb's as high as possible leaving more talent for the pats to pick from

People will be stupid to draft any of these QBs but Mallet.

What are QBs good for in the NFL?

Um, throwing the football.

Who is the ONLY QB in this draft who has a good arm and is accurate with the football? Ryan Mallet.

One guy.

OK, so he smokes pot and looks like Drew Bledsoe back there. Detract for that and you tell me where you'd draft the pot-smoking Drew Bledsoe.

The other guys are much more likely to bust than Mallet.

This has to be the most exciting draft for us (3 top picks). As mentioned in the trade thread. What if the Panthers do not take a qb at #1. Do they trade with us at 33 for thier qb? That would probably be too wierd, but it gets us thier #1 next year. Of those other teams listed at selecting qb's. The only other one I'd I would trade with are the Bengals, unless those other teams were offering a great package of picks.

People will be stupid to draft any of these QBs but Mallet.

What are QBs good for in the NFL?

Um, throwing the football.

Who is the ONLY QB in this draft who has a good arm and is accurate with the football? Ryan Mallet.

One guy.

OK, so he smokes pot and looks like Drew Bledsoe back there. Detract for that and you tell me where you'd draft the pot-smoking Drew Bledsoe.

The other guys are much more likely to bust than Mallet.

I actually think Locker will do pretty well, he stunk in the Senior Bowl but I thought his issues were correctable, and he showed significant improvement at the combine.

Anyway, all the talent in the world doesn't do any good with someone who is lazy, thinks themselves above everyone else, and is stupid. Mallet reeks of all of those, I see him as JaMarcus Russell 2.0. It's tough to play QB when you're in jail for being busted with drugs repeatedly.

Mechanics can be fixed, a QB can get better at reading defenses, and footwork can be improved, IF THE PLAYER WANTS TO PUT IN THE WORK!

How does a coach fix character issues?

I'd guess Newton and Gabbert are gone in the top 10.

I don't think Tennessee, Washington, or Minnesota want to burn a top-12 pick on the others, but I could see them as potential trade partners. They may be willing to offer a discount in the trade-down scenario so they can still take their QB.

If they don't trade down, I don't think they would want to risk the high pick on the QBs and would look to them early in the 2nd round. Most of the teams with late 1sts don't have a major need at QB, and most of the needy teams will be picking early again in round 2 so they can pick one up at that time.

A lot of whispers that Carolina is looking hard at Newton at #1. Huge mistake in my book, but I have no problem with Carolina taking him#1.

I think if Newton is off the board, Buffalo takes Gabbert #3 and let's him develop behind Fitzpatrick for a half season or so.

Mallet will convince everybody he is not a drug addict and could end up in Arizona.

I think Shanahan is locked and loaded with Locker at #10.

If these four QB's are off the board before we pick at #17, then BB will be perfectly placed to bleed some team looking to come up for one of the remaining red chip players.

Of course if the new CBA is signed, I expect Kobb and Young to be traded. If they were traded for each other that would be an ideal situation for us. However some of the teams that need a QB could trade for veterans instead of drafting a QB early and that will hurt our draft options.

Last edited:
I actually think Locker will do pretty well, he stunk in the Senior Bowl but I thought his issues were correctable, and he showed significant improvement at the combine.

Anyway, all the talent in the world doesn't do any good with someone who is lazy, thinks themselves above everyone else, and is stupid. Mallet reeks of all of those, I see him as JaMarcus Russell 2.0. It's tough to play QB when you're in jail for being busted with drugs repeatedly.

Mechanics can be fixed, a QB can get better at reading defenses, and footwork can be improved, IF THE PLAYER WANTS TO PUT IN THE WORK!

Mallett is the only worthy 1st round passer this year. He looks like Drew Bledsoe and talks like Jeff George. Ryan Leaf might be a better comparison than JaMarcus Russell. Leaf actually had talent, while Russell was just a JUG machine.

I don't get the Locker love. This guy was supposed to be the second coming of Elway, but he was very average for 3 years at Washington. He is still living on the blue-chip prospect coming out of high school. I watched a couple of Huskies games this year, and the guy is just not accurate at all.
He will get drafted, because of the intangibles he brings, but this guy has under-performed at the collegiate level....so why would anyone thinks he will get that much better in the NFL to warrant a 1st round pick ?

I've been following Mallet for several years. I find it interesting that all the character concerns are being raised a mere month or so before the draft. While at Arkansas, his coaches loved the kid. Granted, his coach is a major league douche, but you never heard concerns about Mallet before.

JaMarcus Russell? Please tell me you didn't compare the two. Mallet has real QB skills. Russell has more in common with some of the QBs being touted who couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. I'm not sure you want to draft a QB who isn't accurate this late in the game.

CAR - 50% chance -- If they still had their #33, this would be close to a no-brainer - Fairley at #1, QB at #33. As it stands, who knows? I have my doubts that Rivera would go for Newton if he takes a QB. Gabbert, Locker, Ponder or Mallet seem more reasonable fits. No idea what pressure might be coming from ownership/FO, though.

DEN - 0% -- No reason to go QB over defense, really.

BUF - 20% -- I think they're sticking with Fitzpatrick and will go for front seven help. We might think it's a mistake, but it also may be the way they go nevertheless.

CIN - 80% -- I Carson Palmer really, truly IS done there, they almost HAVE to go for a QB. Again, it seems to me like the odds are against Newton. But it's Jay Gruden in the OC seat now, so who knows? Also, their owner seems like the kind of guy who might take this moment to "force" a particular pick.

ARZ - 40% -- A lot of folks think they desperately need a QB, but I have my doubts that the Cards feel the same. They seem to have a lot of other needs that could be just as well met later in the first (enough that they'll probably be back picking in the top five in 2012 regardless). Good chance, IMHO, they'll try to trade down - possibly to a team that feels they need a QB - IF two QBs are gone by this point.

CLE - 0% -- No.

SF - 30% -- Harbaugh says he's sticking with Alex Smith. They could use DT/NT and a few other things. Unlike the Panthers, they do have a second rounder (#45). Also, Newton doesn't seem right for Harbaugh.

TEN - 50% -- Seems like they would if VY is gone and the ancient-but-venerable Collins is their "starter". OTOH, they have Rusty Smith (who the Pats looked at a lot last year) and Brett Ratliff (who might actually be decent if given a shot). Not as certain as most people think. After their VY 1.0 experience, something tells me they won't go for VY 2.0.

DAL - 0% -- No.

WAS - 50% -- Doesn't seem like they'd think Rex Grossman is their QBOTF. Still, seems to me they could go NT here and draft a QB in the 2nd or trade for somebody. I don't know that Shanahan would be entirely comfortable with Newton, though Snyder might be (if they go QB at all).

HOU - 0%

MIN - 50% -- Another team that could go D-line here and QB in the 2nd. And, again, Newton doesn't seem like a great fit when they already have Joe Webb.

DET - 0% -- However, they'll probably let Stanton walk in FA (whenever that happens). Stanton will then emerge as a very good starter elsewhere while Stafford's body disintegrates with yet more injuries. Because that's just the way things usually go for the Lions.

STL - 0%

MIA - 50% -- No 2nd rounder to fall back on if they don't go QB here. OTOH, by my last count, their non-FA RB corps consists of (FB) Lousaka Polite, (FB) Deon Anderson and Clifton Smith. I know there's been some backlash against the "common wisdom" that they take Ingram here, but it does have to be very tempting for them. OTOH (part deux), ownership wants fannies in the seats. Newton could be just as tempting.

JAX - 50% -- The odd thing is that, though they need help in other areas, they actually could make a grab here for Cam Newton to work behind Garrard. But, they have later picks, too.

That's my take on "QB need/likelihood" for the first 16 picks. After our pick at #17, it seems like only SEA would have any chance at taking a QB - maybe 30%.

I've been following Mallet for several years. I find it interesting that all the character concerns are being raised a mere month or so before the draft. While at Arkansas, his coaches loved the kid. Granted, his coach is a major league douche, but you never heard concerns about Mallet before.

But barring actual arrests, NCAA investigations, etc., aren't "character" concerns always a draft-time issue?

Aside from the constant whispers about mysterious baaaad stuff on Mallet, I'd be very concerned about pinning my franchise on a QB who couldn't get himself voted captain of his college team.

Mallett is the only worthy 1st round passer this year. He looks like Drew Bledsoe and talks like Jeff George. Ryan Leaf might be a better comparison than JaMarcus Russell. Leaf actually had talent, while Russell was just a JUG machine.

I don't get the Locker love. This guy was supposed to be the second coming of Elway, but he was very average for 3 years at Washington. He is still living on the blue-chip prospect coming out of high school. I watched a couple of Huskies games this year, and the guy is just not accurate at all.
He will get drafted, because of the intangibles he brings, but this guy has under-performed at the collegiate level....so why would anyone thinks he will get that much better in the NFL to warrant a 1st round pick ?

I disagree that Russell has no talent, I think he has tons of it but he's an idiot, put Peyton Manning's brain in Russell's head and you have a guy that will destroy the league and make INCREDIBLY amusing commercials.

He showed that he has the ability to learn and become more accurate, he was MUCH improved between the Senior Bowl and the combine. Also, he seems more than willing to put in the work to get better and be a team leader, those are things you cannot coach in, mechanics CAN be coached in though.

I think that Seattle makes a grab for Locker in the 1st and sits him behind Hasselback, a la Aaron Rodgers, and he comes in as a very competent franchise QB.

I disagree that Russell has no talent, I think he has tons of it but he's an idiot, put Peyton Manning's brain in Russell's head and you have a guy that will destroy the league and make INCREDIBLY amusing commercials.

He showed that he has the ability to learn and become more accurate, he was MUCH improved between the Senior Bowl and the combine. Also, he seems more than willing to put in the work to get better and be a team leader, those are things you cannot coach in, mechanics CAN be coached in though.

I think that Seattle makes a grab for Locker in the 1st and sits him behind Hasselback, a la Aaron Rodgers, and he comes in as a very competent franchise QB.

Starting today at quarterback for the Los Angeles Destroyers will be PeyMarcus Frankenmanning.

But barring actual arrests, NCAA investigations, etc., aren't "character" concerns always a draft-time issue?

Aside from the constant whispers about mysterious baaaad stuff on Mallet, I'd be very concerned about pinning my franchise on a QB who couldn't get himself voted captain of his college team.

IIRC the same sounds came out about McFadden right? I'm thinking its either the culture or the scrutiny of AK players not individuals but what do I know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes