PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

When's the last time Eugene Wilson really hit someone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought little Ellis Hobbs was more aggressive and persistent in trying to stop Barber than Wilson was.

Because Hobbs is a very aggressive player. That's hardly an indictment of Wilson.

I think a lot of it is just missing tackles, and the fact that the FS , being the last line of defense, is often asked to make the play on the ball carrier or reciever. no one is blocking the Free safety, its his job to make the tackle and Wilson isn't always getting it done.

So because he missed two tackles yesterday, now it becomes he "isn't always getting it done"?

Good grief.

I credit the lack of big plays to our corners more than Wilson.

Oh really? Could it be for no reason other than that it advances your argument?

On the play where it looked like Barber's elbow was down, Wilson had a good angle.

He could have stuck his helmet in there and made the tackle, or knife in sideways and hope he went down.

He chose the latter.

I don't want to pile on with my agenda here, but I've never been a big fan of Eugene.

He gets burnt alot, and truth be told, my hopes were that Merriweather would have stepped in by now.

I think Merriweather's issues are cerebral and also maturity. I'm hoping he starts getting more time as the season progresses.

I agree as he seems much less aggressive when engaging ball carriers and has ALWAYS been a sloppy tackler IMO.
What a load of crap. Are you just making this **** up? Wilson is a very good cover safety and rarely gets burned for a big pass. That is far more important than being a hard hitter and blaming him for missed tackles is ridiculous especially considering how badly other players tackled. There was many starters who were missing tackles.

And good point by whoever brought up Geno finally stopping Barber on that 2 yard run. 5 other guys got abused when they tried to tackle him in the endzone by Eugene saved him from getting anymore than a 2 yarder.

Last edited:
Because Hobbs is a very aggressive player. That's hardly an indictment of Wilson.

Again Jack, you're making my point. Safety is a tackling position. I agree Hobbs is aggressive. Wilson is not, anymore. Put him back at corner.

Rodney Harrison? He's a good player, he's just not very aggressive. :eek:

Well, if he had tackled that guy instead of a no arms cut around the ankles, we wouldn't be complaining that the ref didn't make the right call today would we?

Surprising how few of Harrison's tackles need referee's "interpretations".

I thought little Ellis Hobbs was more aggressive and persistent in trying to stop Barber than Wilson was.

Huh? He brought the guy down. What else do you want from the guy? His elbow was clearly down he was on the ground he bounced up and ran. You're slamming Wilson because he made the play after Jones smoked the d-line and LBs? Why not put the blame where the blame is due? If the front seven made the tackles, there would have been no need for a ref's interpretation either.

I saw a lot of players make arm tackles that Barber and Jones ran through yesterday, but Wilson gets slammed even when HE MADE THE TACKLE!!!!! You are slamming him for style points. It is just player hating.

Last edited:
The game was on TV. I don't need to wait for the Globe to decide what I see.

Then perhaps it's time to get an eye exam....

On the play where it looked like Barber's elbow was down, Wilson had a good angle.

He could have stuck his helmet in there and made the tackle, or knife in sideways and hope he went down.

He chose the latter.

And he got the job done! Just because the refs clearly screwed up the play doesn't make the choice wrong. You are blaming Wilson for the ref getting the call wrong which they did multiple times yesterday.

Are you blaming Moss for "pushing off" on that ticky-tack call that negated his TD? If you are going to blame Wilson for making the tackle that the refs got wrong, you gotta blame Moss for a ticky-tack push off call.

Huh? He brought the guy down. What else do you want from the guy? His elbow was clearly down he was on the ground he bounced up and ran. You're slamming Wilson because he made the play after Jones smoked the d-line and LBs? Why not put the blame where the blame is due? If the front seven made the tackles, there would have been no need for a ref's interpretation either.

I saw a lot of players make arm tackles that Barber and Jones ran through yesterday, but Wilson gets slammed even when HE MADE THE TACKLE!!!!! You are slamming him for style points. It is just player hating.

No he didn't make the tackle. Wrap your arms around someone is a tackle.

Stand them up and body slam them is a tackle.

He basically tried to trip him. He was in position to make the tackle.

HE MADE THE TACKLE!!!!!

That's funny, in my program that was a fairly long run. Did they change the decision?

Again Jack, you're making my point. Safety is a tackling position. I agree Hobbs is aggressive. Wilson is not, anymore. Put him back at corner.

Even if you think that Wilson isn't a good safety, I can assure you he isn't ever going to be a good CB anymore. Just go by what NE coaches did this PS by not playing him at CB at all, not even as a backup plan.

I think that you are wrong, though. Wilson still hasn't hit his 2004 heights, and he didn't have a great game yesterday, but he had been a hell of a lot closer to 2004 than 2005 prior to the Cowboys game.

And he got the job done! Just because the refs clearly screwed up the play doesn't make the choice wrong. You are blaming Wilson for the ref getting the call wrong which they did multiple times yesterday.

Are you blaming Moss for "pushing off" on that ticky-tack call that negated his TD? If you are going to blame Wilson for making the tackle that the refs got wrong, you gotta blame Moss for a ticky-tack push off call.

I go with the announcers on that one. It shouldn't have been a call, but he moved his arms as if he pushed off which was stupid, so he deserved to get called.

Make tackles where there's no doubt and don't look like your committing penalties and you won't need to spend the next day crying about the refs.

As BB would say, control what you can.

No.

What you're saying is that Wilson shouldn't be playing safety because he can't make BIG hits. On the whole, Wilson has been a very solid tackler this year (partially evidenced by his tackling stats).

Safety, in particular free safety, is about a whole lot more than being able to tackle hard.

Even if you think that Wilson isn't a good safety, I can assure you he isn't ever going to be a good CB anymore. Just go by what NE coaches did this PS by not playing him at CB at all, not even as a backup plan.

I think that you are wrong, though. Wilson still hasn't hit his 2004 heights, and he didn't have a great game yesterday, but he had been a hell of a lot closer to 2004 than 2005 prior to the Cowboys game.

I haven't madeall those judgment. I don't like a safety that avoids contact. It's going to catch up to you and it's a bad example for other positions. It's like Beisel. All I had to do was watch a couple youtubes to see this guy didn't want to hit and I didn't care how quick he was "learning".

Linebackers and safeties have to tackle and hit period.

Wilson hasn't worked much at all at corner. Meriweather was being worked there in camp.

I'm not saying he's good or bad, I'm just saying if he doesn't have the stomach for contact, he'll not progress at that position.

No.

What you're saying is that Wilson shouldn't be playing safety because he can't make BIG hits. On the whole, Wilson has been a very solid tackler this year (partially evidenced by his tackling stats).

Safety, in particular free safety, is about a whole lot more than being able to tackle hard.

Linebacker's about a lot more than contact too. Nevertheless, if you don't want to man up against a big back coming right at you, it's time to find another job.

Linebacker's about a lot more than contact too. Nevertheless, if you don't want to man up against a big back coming right at you, it's time to find another job.

James Sanders doesn't make many huge hits, either (and he plays SS). Maybe we should move him to CB.

Wilson is an undersized safety who learned that going for the big hit was a sure way to shorten his career. Now that he's taking a more sensible approach to tackling, people who have been spoiled by this team's fast start are suddenly looking for everything they can find to complain about.

Last week we were hearing about McDaniels and how last year was his fault but this year he shouldn't get any credit. Maroney's made out of glass because he played with broken ribs last year and is being held out with a groin injury this season. Seymour doesn't care anymore now that he's gotten his contract, despite playing almost all of last season with just one arm. The nonsense just goes on and on......

No he didn't make the tackle. Wrap your arms around someone is a tackle.

Stand them up and body slam them is a tackle.

He basically tried to trip him. He was in position to make the tackle.

That's funny, in my program that was a fairly long run. Did they change the decision?

Do you want him to hit or tackle? Slamming someone isn't neccessarily tackling. He made the play what more do you want? Just because the ref got it wrong doesn't negate that he made the play just like any other play where the player makes the play and the refs make the wrong call.

As it being a fairly long run, I agree. It was a wrong run even if Wilson was credited with the tackle. The front seven blew it. There are no excuses. I totally blame the members of the front seven who blew that play.

I go with the announcers on that one. It shouldn't have been a call, but he moved his arms as if he pushed off which was stupid, so he deserved to get called.

Make tackles where there's no doubt and don't look like your committing penalties and you won't need to spend the next day crying about the refs.

As BB would say, control what you can.

LOL! You really don't want to keep ridiculous arguement of criticizing Wilson for making the tackle, but not making it pretty enough for the refs not to totally blow the call.

It is funny how much Wilson haters so much want to blame him that they will even blame him for doing his job and the refs blowing the call. If this was Harrison (who has many times just tripped the RB rather than a full hit), you'd probably scream to high heavan that the refs blew the call when Harrison did his job.

Last edited:
Why do folks always throw out "name some examples".

Sometimes you blow a big play or two that makes your mistakes very visible.
Sometimes you make numerous small mistakes on plays that at the time don't seem significant. But as the game goes on, these mistakes may end up contibuting to long drives that do result in an opponent scoring.

Wilson's errors, most of which are the latter, are very visible to me. Maybe because whenever I see an opponent make a big play, I see #26 lying on the ground behind them.

He takes bad angles on tackles. He tackles with his shoulders rather than wrapping up, he get's intimidated when tackling larger backs and WR's.

He's a very average at safety. Not horrible, as I've seen worse, but a tad overrated and I think his spot could be upgraded.

Last edited:
Why do folks always throw out "name some examples".

Sometimes you blow a big play or two that makes your mistakes very visible.
Sometimes you make numerous small mistakes on plays that at the time don't seem significant. But as the game goes on, these mistakes may end up contibuting to long drives that do result in an opponent scoring.

Samuels errors, most of which are the latter, are very visible to me. Maybe because whenever I see an opponent make a big play, I see #26 lying on the ground behind them.

He takes bad angles on tackles. He tackles with his shoulders rather than wrapping up, he get's intimidated when tackling larger backs and WR's.

He's a very average at safety. Not horrible, as I've seen worse, but a tad overrated and I think his spot could be upgraded.

Maybe because you just want Wilson to be at fault. Many times he is just the guy who gets there after someone else blows the play (which happens a lot to the deep safety on any team). The Pats have given up one play over 30 yards going into yesterday. He wasn't even on the field a lot of yesterday because they decided to go with a two SS set many of the times when they went with a two safety set.

I think people want to see what they want when they have strong feeling either way with a player. Most unbiased observers (I will recuse myself from that category) have given Wilson positive reviews. Maybe he isn't at his 2004 form, but he has been pretty solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes