Welcome to PatsFans.com

When you're dying for a lower carbon footprint

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

So, about that mental illness issue this country has....[​IMG]

When you're dying for a lower carbon footprint

Body-disposal process offers more eco-friendly alternative to cremation

By Bill Briggs
    msnbc.com contributor updated 1/18/2011

As some Americans push ever harder to leave a smaller carbon footprint on the environment, the funeral industry is taking a new step to help us go even more gently into that good night. Instead of a traditional burial, which takes up space six feet underground, or cremation, which uses a surprising amount of energy, the dead can now be dissolved.

“The public will at last have a true third choice to exit this planet,” said Sandy Sullivan, the Scottish biochemist credited with adapting the so-called resomation technique to human remains.

That's good news for die-hard environmentalists like Jan Nickerson of Brevard, N.C. After learning that a Florida funeral home soon will become the first in the nation to offer resomation, Nickerson made an announcement to her family. “When I die, if there’s a local provider that does this, great, let’s do a local provider,” Nickerson said. “But if not, we know there’s this one in St. Petersburg. Get me down there.”

Dying to leave a lower carbon footprint - Business - Oil & energy - Going Green - msnbc.com

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

A couple of months ago I went and set up "prepaid cremation" for myself and my wife then ashes in the Ocean, tonight after supper I think I'll tell her that if she goes before me I'm going to have her disolved..:singing:

I hate wakes and funerals, there is nothing more disgusting than standing around whispering and gawking at a dead body all dressed up laying in a box.

When People Kneel They Don't Really Pray, They Speak To The Cadaver:
    These Are Some Of The Things Mourners Say To A Dead Body At A Wake After They Peek Down To See If The Undertaker Stole The Body's Pants Or Shoes.
    [Quotes]
    “Oh dear God, say it isn’t so”

“What the hell did you do with your keys”?

“Oh Mary Mother Of Jesus, you look just like your sleeping”

"F-ck You"

“They should have closed your coffin, you look like sh!t”

“Why didn’t the bastards put your glasses on you”

“That’s not how you combed your hair”

“Oh God, we’re all going to miss you so much”

“Nobody will miss you, you rotten son of a b!tch”

“I’m so sorry darling, forgive me, I thought you were having an affair”

“I hope your wife doesn’t find out you were sleeping with me”

“We found your Blow Up Rubber Women”

“So long idiot”

“Thanks, you dirty son of a b!tch”

“I’m moving in with your wife next month, we’re going to Yellowstone in the new Motor Home you just bought, I hope your shirts will fit me”

“Go to hell”

"Rot In Hell"

“Mom told me you weren’t my real father, did you know that”?

“Shove your money up your ass”

“You hit the lottery this morning, the guy that’s been running around with your wife found the ticket under your bed when he was putting his shoes on”

“You Bastard”

"Ha Ha Ha I knew you'd die before me you idiot bastard"

3. Triple-T

Triple-T Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm not a believer in man made carbon dioxide greenhouse affect, but who gives a rat's ass if someone wants to do this? Is it harming you somehow?

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

Not at all. People are absolutely free to do this if they want to. I've got no bones (pun) with them getting their corpse disolved. I just find some of the extremes these people go to as being kinda comical. Here's a woman who wants to lower her carbon footprint at death, but is ok with shipping her corpse 650 miles across country. Why not have yourself chopped up and served as fish food or something. Hmmm...come to think about it, a good idea for a new business would be a shark tank body disposal center. Load a pool with some sharks, chop up a persons corpse into chum, and then dump it inside the shark tank. Cheaper, and greener than using toxic chemicals to disolve your body no? :D

All joking aside, I think personal choice, and/or activism on a personal level is terrific.