Welcome to PatsFans.com

When you think of welfare, who do you think of?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Born_a_Patriot, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Born_a_Patriot

Born_a_Patriot PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

When people do think about the issue, do they often picture the stereotype African Americans sitting in front of the television waiting for their welfare checks to arrive?

The truth is that there are more white people on welfare than blacks. There are actually more white people on welfare than anyone else. Although you have to take into account that since whites make up the majority of the population that would push the numbers up. That being said the stereotype is of great concern.

2. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

In fact, its mostly white women and children that are on welfare. Good post.

3. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +108 / 15 / -9

Lets not forget the most important stat........

Most of the welfare recipients are DEMOCRATS !

If you want to play these types of games, don't forget.
    Whites pay much more in taxes than blacks !

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  4. Born_a_Patriot

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

This is not about who is on welfare as much as it is about the misperceived notions.

5. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +734 / 11 / -7

Not that it would be a huge shock, but do you have a statistical source for the statement that most people on welfare are Democrats?

We know Joe the Plumber wasn't, after all :D

6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +606 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

Blacks make up about 15% of the population. Whites are over 2/3. I'm not trying to be racist in either direction here but . . . duh.

7. Born_a_Patriot

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

I pointed that out.

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +527 / 14 / -28

I worked for the Welfare Dept in the early 70's, the perception never met the reality, over the years the whole concept has changed.. thanks to Clinton's leadership, now there is only a 5 year window for eligibility.

9. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Why do you ask? Did you often picture African Americans sitting in front of their televisions waiting for their checks to arrive?

Actually I think of one of my daughter’s friend’s parents who have been on welfare or some kind of fake disability for 20 years. My daughter’s friend told me that his parents told him and his two siblings not to worry about graduating because they can live off the state. They’re white folk.

My brother works for the welfare dept. in upstate NY. He tells me that most of the recipients are white in his area. So no, I usually think of white people. I also think a large number of them are simply working the system and could have been off of the rolls a long time ago,

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  10. slowpoke2

slowpoke2 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Probably a large percentage are white, uneducated, Republicans.

The GOP base.

On CNN election website they had a map of those counties who voted Republican along with the number of welfare recipients in that county.
    Gotta find the link...

A couple things.

1. i didnt know welfare folks were tracked like that
    2. what percentage of welfare recipients actually vote? im thinking laziness plays a role thus that may be a low percentage

I love seeing someone paying for groceries with food stamps. There two kids in two are dressed in the latest north face gear, the mom has her prada bag, they then get into the big SUV with sweet rims and drive to the section 8 housing. This scenerio is played out daily on the southcoast of MA.

Sorry but its true.

11. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +452 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

I think of poor people who either are unable or unwilling to achieve enough success financially to sustain the basics in life.

I think of unhappy people who have often given up and who probably feel "less than" most.

12. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Yeah but they're not responsible for their predicament. Where did we fail them? Shouldn't we at least provide additional incentives for them to drive a greener vehicle.

13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

That's funny...when I hear the word "welfare", this is what I automatically think of:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +676 / 7 / -2

Only for specific programs. The vast majority of HUD funded properties have no limits.

15. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +676 / 7 / -2

Another race baiting thread I might add, but I digress....

Obviously the totality of recipients would be white, since whites make up (2006) 74% of the population. I know, I know, you mentioned that, but we all know what your angle is. Anyhow, what percentage of each ethnic group recieves subsidies? Of course, if I, or someone else in this forum, were to start a thread about welfare, using those statistics, we'd be called every name in the book. However, when it's a race baiting thread directed at the "angry white men" in the forum, it's ok.

Being someone who manages close to 30 subsidized apartments, funded by housing authorities, MHFA, or HUD, I can tell you that 70% of the recipients do not deserve a lifetime subsidiy. I've got tenants who are disabled, have an illness like Parkinsons, and are elderly, who all need the assistance they recieve. I think virtually all americans are ok with providing those people with some help. However, if the average taxpayer saw the others who simply put a hand out, and take a freebie, while continuously finding ways to squeeze more from the system, they'd be outraged. I've got tenants who've never worked a single day in this country, who recieve a free apartment, a monthly check, and the best healthcare package (MassHealth) available. Why? Why am I paying for someone else's problems? Why am I paying for 30, to 40-something year old men, who don't want to go to work for a living? Why are people recieving assistance, vacationing for months in the Dominican, while I haven't had a vacation since January? The system sucks, period. Yet all you hear are retahdid politicians on TV, talking about how we need more "affordable" (code name for subsidized) housing. BS. WE need more people to go to work, and for the taxpayer subsidies to be allocated more discreetly. Those who cannot provide for themselves should be helped. Those who are lazy should not.

16. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +452 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Anyone who thinks welfare has anything to do with race is incapable of seeing the facts for what they are. It is not a racial issue...never has been, never will be.

Carry on....:disagreement: