• After the 2007 Season

Votes: 15 25.4%
  • Never, we find a way to keep both Brady and Cassel

Votes: 36 61.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
BelichickFan said:
He's signed through the 2008 season. So there's the offseason after 2006 (early 2007) and the offseason after the 2007 season (early 2008). He's practically free but has to be worth something pretty good on the trade market - not withstanding the fact that we said the same thing about Davey :)

Why trade away Steve Young?
When Brady is ready to go, Cassel will be 26 or 27, still young enough to start a Hall of Fame career.

Kdo5 said:
Wow...get rid of this kid? He has great talent. No thanks I dont want to have some terrible scrub as my backup QB in the future. Cassel has looked really good. Screw a draft pick, he is a keeper. Trading him would totally suck.

you have to be realistic. how long will brady be our qb? 7-8 years maybe? do you think cassel will wait this long for his shot? no way. if the kid's contract expires after 2007 then he will want to take a shot at being the starter then. you can't just let him go for nothing in free agency. you have to get something for him before he walks.

Is Matt Cassel the equivalent of Peter Sellers in "Being There" or what? I mean, he backs up Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart at SC and completes 16 passes in his entire college career. Despite this he somehow gets drafted and backs up the NFL equivalent of Palmer and Leinart, one Tom Brady. As expected, he barely gets off the bench here in his first year. Now he's got his own thread speculating on when he's going to be traded and folks are throwing around the possibility of getting a 2nd rounder for him. This for a guy whose completed less than 30 passes in his entire collegiate and professional career, combined? And most amazing of all, the Pats could likely get that 2nd round pick for him. Its truly unprecedented.

1976pats said:
Is Matt Cassel the equivalent of Peter Sellers in "Being There" or what? I mean, he backs up Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart at SC and completes 16 passes in his entire college career. Despite this he somehow gets drafted and backs up the NFL equivalent of Palmer and Leinart, one Tom Brady. As expected, he barely gets off the bench here in his first year. Now he's got his own thread speculating on when he's going to be traded and folks are throwing around the possibility of getting a 2nd rounder for him. This for a guy whose completed less than 30 passes in his entire collegiate and professional career, combined? And most amazing of all, the Pats could likely get that 2nd round pick for him. Its truly unprecedented.

you could use that same reasoning for the Pats picking him. We had an pro bowl QB, a capable back-up why pick a USC clipboard holder? I like this idea of speculating what we could get.

Guarantee BB has thought abt it!

Cassel is a 7th round steal , who will be here for a little bit longer...

Drewwho said:
...and exactly what games has he won for you???

Definitely trade-if you can!
He seems better than any backup we could have for now. I apologise that I dont want Corey Bramlett or Rohan Davey or some crappy QB we got off the practice squad. Cassel is a lot better. Keep him as the backup incase Brady goes down which is one snap away as they constantly say.

Nowadays I am noticing lots of great starting QBs being severely injured or missing lots of games. So far Brady has started every game since he became the starter. Its bound to happen, that whether you like it or you dont like it Brady IS going to get an injury that will sideline him for many games or go on Injured Reserve. What then? I dont want Bramlett or someone like Rohan Davey to backup. Cassel would be a great person to come in. He is like Matt Schaub, they will problably be gone eventually in a few years to get a starting job but I WOULDNT trade him until Brady plays more and more years perfectly fine. Just keep in mind Brady is going to miss games eventually in his career and who might you want in his place other than Cassel?

Last edited:
You don't wear a motorcycle helmet for the looks, you wear it for the crash.

You don't carry a good backup quarterback for practice time, you carry him for the missed time...

patsfan55 said:
he will be the next matt shaub

who will be the next matt hasselbeck/jake delhomme

EXACLTY what I was going to say. :rocker:

Cassel will beat out Brady for the starting job in 2009.

maverick4 said:
Why trade away Steve Young?
When Brady is ready to go, Cassel will be 26 or 27, still young enough to start a Hall of Fame career.
Brady is 29. Cassel is 24. I assume Brady plays about 6 more years to 35. That makes Cassel 30. You seem to think Brady is done in 2-3 years ? :confused:

I think he will be resigned in 2008 for what it takes .A primary reason being brady getting into FA in 2010.You never know and if so happens that brady leaves we have casel to take the reins.for some reason i believe QB is a 2nd or 3rd round draft choice then 1.

Last edited:
satz said:
I think he will be resigned in 2008 for what it takes .A primary reason being brady getting into FA in 2010.You never know and if so happens that brady leaves we have casel to take the reins.for some reason i believe QB is a 2nd or 3rd round draft choice then 1.
Brady is signed through 2010, that's 5 years making him 34 and Cassel 29. I assume Cassel will want pretty darn good money to stay after he becomes a UFA, it'll be his only chance at a big contract.

satz said:
I think he will be resigned in 2008 for what it takes .

Now THAT would shock me. If Cassel continues to develop as he has, then by 2008 he will be the least likely player in the NFL to choose cash over on-field opportunity. He'll want a chance to start for once in his life.

If Cassel can learn to read the field better and be better disciplined he could move past Brady as the #1 QB.

lobster said:
If Cassel can learn to read the field better and be better disciplined he could move past Brady as the #1 QB.

You posted this 24 minutes ago as far as I can work out, and yet nobody has cruficied you for your blasphemy yet. I'm amazed.

ironwasp said:
You posted this 24 minutes ago as far as I can work out, and yet nobody has cruficied you for your blasphemy yet. I'm amazed.
I didn't reply because my mind and body all went numb when I read it :D

Are you serious? Cassell was a backup all through college, and now you deem him to be one of the more elite QBs in the league, to the extent that the Pats would be compelled to trade him, a la Drew Bledsoe 4 years ago?

Cassels has thus far only proven to be a decent backup for Tom Brady, and that was primarily against other teams' 2nd and 3rd units.

This is a ridiculous question.

godef said:
Are you serious? Cassell was a backup all through college, and now you deem him to be one of the more elite QBs in the league, to the extent that the Pats would be compelled to trade him, a la Drew Bledsoe 4 years ago?

Cassels has thus far only proven to be a decent backup for Tom Brady, and that was primarily against other teams' 2nd and 3rd units.

Really. You don't think half a dozen teams wouldn't trade for him right now ? Who cares what he was in college, he had two Heisman Trophy winners in front of him. Use your eyes. I guess he sucks because he can't beat out Tom Brady either.

:bricks:

godef said:

Au contraire!
Since i've mused about this to myself, i'm glad to get the thoughts of others.

I'm in the camp that believes that
someone who shows they can play in the NFL
is worth more than a draft pick.

Having a player as good as i think Matt is
backing up the most important position on the field
is too valuable to abandon voluntarily.

Thus, i want him there for the next 3 seasons.

And beyond that, if it doesn't cause sticker shock.

Brady has so far has been lucky but he might have a season ending injury and if that happens and casell works out then i see them making him a part of the team longer.

If nothing happens to brady expect casell to fly In a weird way i want him to better yound and leinhart just as another low round QB we know :)) but for some reason i am believer in law of avg`s so who knows as brady has been on the good side of the avgs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back