Votes: 36 61.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
He's signed through the 2008 season. So there's the offseason after 2006 (early 2007) and the offseason after the 2007 season (early 2008). He's practically free but has to be worth something pretty good on the trade market - not withstanding the fact that we said the same thing about Davey :)

I'm saying after this 2006 season. There's so many crappy QBs out there, someone will offer something good for him.

he will be the next matt shaub

who will be the next matt hasselbeck/jake delhomme

BelichickFan said:
I'm saying after this 2006 season. There's so many crappy QBs out there, someone will offer something good for him.

Doesn't that leave us with one of those crappy QBs? Cassel may not start for the Patriots, but a quality backup QB is rare and enormously valuable. I'd be shocked if they traded him before developing a replacement. Maybe use a couple of those late-round draft picks they're stockpiling to pick QBs and let the winner learn as QB #3 next year?

If nobody looks good enough to be #2 after 2007, I'd just let Cassel play out his contract then say thanks and goodbye. You'd still have gotten great value for that 7th-round pick.

patchick said:
Doesn't that leave us with one of those crappy QBs? Cassel may not start for the Patriots, but a quality backup QB is rare and enormously valuable. I'd be shocked if they traded him before developing a replacement. Maybe use a couple of those late-round draft picks they're stockpiling to pick QBs and let the winner learn as QB #3 next year?

If nobody looks good enough to be #2 after 2007, I'd just let Cassel play out his contract then say thanks and goodbye. You'd still have gotten great value for that 7th-round pick.

yes but within a couple years we may be able to get a third round pick for him

patchick said:
Yeah, I overstated the last option and should have just left it at Never for the various options of Never that there are.

Wow...get rid of this kid? He has great talent. No thanks I dont want to have some terrible scrub as my backup QB in the future. Cassel has looked really good. Screw a draft pick, he is a keeper. Trading him would totally suck.

When the offer they can't refuse comes along, or another way to say it, when Matt's trade value exceeds his value to the Patriots.

Box_O_Rocks said:
When the offer they can't refuse comes along, or another way to say it, when Matt's trade value exceeds his value to the Patriots.
2#1's?
10characters

BelichickFan said:
Yeah, and then if Brady gets hurt, we will have one of those crappy QBs instead of Brady.

Uh uh. If you are going to have a backup QB, have one that can back up your QB.

Keep Cassel as long as you can.

If we draft a developmental QB maybe after the 2007 season, but it would depend on his trade value. I wouldn't mind singing him if possible, giving him 'cheap starter' )Billy Volek?) money.

It may be a bit premature to think about trading Cassell. He has looked good so far but a backup needs a couple years of seasoning and scouting before other teams will really begin to notice.

That said, it's very realistic that Cassell reaches that Gerrard/Shaub level where a team can demand a day 1 pick for him. I think we keep him around until his contract year. Let him get some more seasoning, learn from the best, and show off his stuff for at least another preseason. Come draft day 2008, if we can get a 2nd rounder for Cassell, I'd say go for it.

A J Feeley netted a #2 for the Eagles, based on what I've seen so far, the Pats could definitely be in line for something comparable.

If only Belichick et al. could find a way to put Cassel into suspended animation except during practices. . . . :)

Last edited:
Kdo5 said:
Wow...get rid of this kid? He has great talent. No thanks I dont want to have some terrible scrub as my backup QB in the future. Cassel has looked really good. Screw a draft pick, he is a keeper. Trading him would totally suck.

...and exactly what games has he won for you???

Definitely trade-if you can!

Drewwho said:
...and exactly what games has he won for you???

Definitely trade-if you can!

So . . . we should "definitely" trade him because he hasn't won any games for us in exchange for a someone who has won games for us???

A quality backup QB can save a potentially lost season. Keep him for as long as BB thinks he can win games for us.

Kdo5 said:
Right now we have him as a solid backup for two years. Next year it'll be one and we'll have to let him go for nothing. This isn't the '80s when you could keep two QB like Montana and Young. No later than 3/08, we will need to decide if one year of a backup QB is worth more than what I think would be a pretty good draft choice.

Patriotic said:
So . . . we should "definitely" trade him because he hasn't won any games for us in exchange for a someone who has won games for us???

A quality backup QB can save a potentially lost season. Keep him for as long as BB thinks he can win games for us.

I would sign Fiedler or Henson over Cassel today!

patsfan55 said:
he will be the next matt shaub

who will be the next matt hasselbeck/jake delhomme

I wouldn't put him up with Schaub yet. Off the top of my head here are the teams Schaub could start for right now: Green Bay, Houston, Detroit, NYJ, Cleveland, San Diego, Tennessee, Chicago, Minnesota and Tampa Bay. He SHOULD be starting in Atlanta.

I seriously bet you could send him to Minnesota for a second rounder. Rick Speilman has a history of stupid trades for backups. (Cough, AJ Feely for a 2nd rounder cough.) He has also exressed interest in Cassle, I bet you could rob the Vikes like we did this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes