PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

When "we didn't deserve to win" isn't accurate

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: When "we didn't deserve to win" isn't accurate

Is that why they continued to make calls against the Ravens defense the last time the Patriots offense had the ball? The horrible calls went both ways. Such is life when you're dealing with replacement officials.

The call on the Ravens D for illegal contact on Welker was 100% correct. When you see the replay, the contact is constant until just as the pass arrives, which was 10 to 11 yards downfield.

Can you make contact with the receiver? yes.

Do you have to let him go as some point? Yes.

When do you have to let him go? 5 yards. This is the point Collinsworth missed completely.

Yeah, true Kontra, but you have to admit..... Cunningham and Jones were getting all but raped on any attempt to rush the passer. Now, I get that offensive line play and holding go somewhat hand in hand, but only to a level.

Any team will score on you, in ANY situation, if you are allowed to tackle two of our best pass-russers out of the play EVERY down. It basically gave Flacco a free throw every down. Basically it becomes a 7on7 drill with Flacco wearing a red jersey.

You're making the mistake of thinking that I'm excusing the refs. I'm not. The sad, and rather pathetic thing, about my argument is that it's the same argument that I apply toward the NBA, where the officials were obviously crooked. Ask me six months ago if I ever thought in a million years that I'd be using this argument toward the NFL.

:bricks:

The call on the Ravens D for illegal contact on Welker was 100% correct. When you see the replay, the contact is constant until just as the pass arrives, which was 10 to 11 yards downfield.

Can you make contact with the receiver? yes.

Do you have to let him go as some point? Yes.

When do you have to let him go? 5 yards. This is the point Collinsworth missed completely.

I must have seen something different then because I thought it was ticky tack. Regardless, the stance that the refs were afraid to call penalties against the Ravens doesn't hold up when they did so after those chants took place.

The bolded plays right into my point. In your last paragraph, you should also note that Wilfork did slam the officials for making it so that the Pats secondary couldn't play the same game that they had in the first two weeks. So, like me, he admits that the refs were horrible but that the Pats could have executed better and that, if they had, they would have won the game.

Yeah, but we know by now what the players or Belichick say after the game doesn't mean squat. Especially Belichick. If Bane took over Gillette Stadium and rolled in with a nuclear device, post-game Belichick would still only offer up "I have no comment, I just got off the field, you'll have to ask that guy with the mask."

So, I'm dismissing everything said by a Patriot player or coach.

The Patriots corners made a few mistakes, yes, but Baltimore did not execute well, either. So I'm simply saying your assertion that Baltimore executed down the stretch is inaccurate.

Yeah, but we know by now what the players or Belichick say after the game doesn't mean squat. Especially Belichick. If Bane took over Gillette Stadium and rolled in with a nuclear device, post-game Belichick would still only offer up "I have no comment, I just got off the field, you'll have to ask that guy with the mask."

So, I'm dismissing everything said by a Patriot player or coach.

I don't see how you can dismiss it when Wilfork essentially called out the refs.

The Patriots corners made a few mistakes, yes, but Baltimore did not execute well, either. So I'm simply saying your assertion that Baltimore executed down the stretch is inaccurate.

No team executed at 100%, but Baltimore did execute down the stretch. If they hadn't, they wouldn't have stopped our offense on the final drive, nor would their offense had systematically driven down the field in the waning moments to take the final lead. The total yardage count bares that out, BM. They drove five football fields. Of course they executed better.

Batman villains to make a point?

I think it was more like in Ninjago when the Skeleton Army attacked the Green Ninja and Lord Garmadon was killed when Krazi speared him with his staff. :D

No team executed at 100%, but Baltimore did execute down the stretch. If they hadn't, they wouldn't have stopped our offense on the final drive, nor would their offense had systematically driven down the field in the waning moments to take the final lead. The total yardage count bares that out, BM. They drove five football fields. Of course they executed better.

If the refs didn't come up with BS calls all game (Mayo PI on Rice; bringing out chains on 4th down; ghost holding call on McCourty) then we're talking about 3/5 drives stalling and leading to 0 points. It's a completely different game, and those are just a few iffy things the refs did off the top of my head.

They were bad all game and they extended drives. I can't read into the defensive performance. They got off the field but were put back on it, several times.

If the refs didn't come up with BS calls all game (Mayo PI on Rice; bringing out chains on 4th down; ghost holding call on McCourty) then we're talking about 3/5 drives stalling and leading to 0 points. It's a completely different game, and those are just a few iffy things the refs did off the top of my head.

They were bad all game and they extended drives. I can't read into the defensive performance. They got off the field but were put back on it, several times.

So are you trying to tell me that there were no bad calls on the Ravens all game? Again, they went both ways. The team that executed better won the game. The the refs run for over 100 yards? Did the refs only misfire on eleven passes?

So are you trying to tell me that there were no bad calls on the Ravens all game? Again, they went both ways. The team that executed better won the game. The the refs run for over 100 yards? Did the refs only misfire on eleven passes?

How many bad calls really went against the Ravens? The Ngata call, maybe. After that, it was decidedly in Baltimore's favor.

You're using the same thinking this entire thread was created to avoid: you are listing examples of imperfect execution by the Patriots and assuming this is reason enough for them to lose the game. But again, you can do this for every game. Win or lose.

I grant you that they did not execute 100% of the time. The question is, did they execute well enough to win? And yes, I think that they did.

If the Baltimore kicker had missed that FG at the end, would that mean that the Patriots played better? Would they have deserved to win? We have to detach the outcome of the game from our evaluation of their play.

I think people miss the point. The defense DID make a stop. They made a brilliant close with a 3 and out with less than 10 minutes left in the game and it was wiped out by a phantom holding call.

The defense only needs to stop a drive once. I don't see why people have such high expectations that the defense should be able repeatedly stop the Ravens on the same drive. If it was so easy to stop NFL offenses you wouldn't see 30-40 point scores across the league.

Fan expectations for the Patriots are simply too high.

^absolutely correct..In this offense driven league, getting a stop isn't that easy. For the refs to repeatedly put a defense back on the field after making a stop is a killer.

I get so sick of, "a good team makes the plays" comments...blah, blah...Most every team can't overcome the refs blowing 3-4 calls on 3rd down and extending drives. Extending drives leads to points and keeps one of the best QBs off the field, so we are NOT scoring.. Yes, IO get the point that the Pats could have still made plays at the end to win the game, but I think that's too simple a way to look at it...1 bad call, OK, it happens...but 3 or 4 drive extending bad calls?

I think people miss the point. The defense DID make a stop. They made a brilliant close with a 3 and out with less than 10 minutes left in the game and it was wiped out by a phantom holding call.

Technically it was still going to be 3rd down, but it would've been 3rd & 16, which I think we can agree is unlikely to be converted. So, yes, I agree with your larger point.

One more thing that is not getting talked about as much as it should be,...the refs granting Balt's request to bring the chains out when they had spotted the ball 1 full yard short. This gave Balt the time to look at the replays and decide to challenge the play. The ended up reversing the call, which means that they not only had to determine that the spot was wrong, but the new spot had to be enough to give Balt a 1st down..that is the rule. I saw no replays that were close to showing how that call could have been reversed. No angle showed EXACTLY were the ball was when the player went out of bounds...and how that related to EXACTLY where the 1st down marker was. This was a 3rd down play and again, extended a drive.

BTW, T. Smith pushed off on both his TDs...neither called, yet Edelman gets called for fighting back for the ball when the defender had his back turned to the ball..ridiculous.

Let us not also count the NON-Calls that majorly affected the game.

Chandler Jones was being held by Oher ALL effing night.
Gronk was being impeded everytime he broke off the line.
The Ravens O-line was holding the entire game. And I think only what? 1 or 2 got called, and they were on Yanda?

Let's not kid ourselves here. The team left A LOT of plays on the field. But when you're playing the Baltimore Ravens, who are clearly cheating on every down, AND the refs?

Forgot about it. I'm telling you one thing right now though. If these jackasses are still the refs come playoff time? I'm not watching. As it stands already, the games hold absolutely no meaning. Either you lose due to the refs, or you win due to them. This is not the NFL anymore.

This is garbage.

How many bad calls really went against the Ravens? The Ngata call, maybe. After that, it was decidedly in Baltimore's favor.

Without going back to review the game, I can think of three off the top of my head. And no, it wasn't decidedly in Baltimore's favor as evidenced by the amount of yardage that was tacked on.

You're using the same thinking this entire thread was created to avoid: you are listing examples of imperfect execution by the Patriots and assuming this is reason enough for them to lose the game.

Because it was. The last offensive drive is the debate-ender.

But again, you can do this for every game. Win or lose.

Every game is irrelevant when you have a significant portion of the poster population putting 100% of the blame on the zebras and assessing zero of it to the team for this game alone.

I grant you that they did not execute 100% of the time. The question is, did they execute well enough to win? And yes, I think that they did.

On offense, they executed well enough to win until the last drive. On defense, they executed well enough in spurts, but it still wasn't enough. Flacco bombed on us last night because we didn't have an corner that was capable of playing NFL caliber football.

If the Baltimore kicker had missed that FG at the end, would that mean that the Patriots played better? Would they have deserved to win? We have to detach the outcome of the game from our evaluation of their play.

If the kicker had missed the kick, my obvservations would still be the same, only I'd be saying that we were lucky to get out of it at the end with a win.

On offense, they executed well enough to win until the last drive.

It still should've been enough to win. What's the percentage of successfully killing the clock on those 4-minute situations? And what is it against the Ravens?

Again, the Patriots have failed to convert those situations plenty of times before and won the game, and deserved to win the game. You're taking it as a given that they should've been able to kill the clock. It's not.

Should the Patriots hand back their SB39 rings because the offense couldn't kill the clock vs. the Eagles? Were they undeserving of victory because of it?

I can't think of three bad calls against the Ravens OTOH. Ngata is a maybe. The Welker/Webb illegal contact call was the right one (though, frankly, it could've been PI and given us more yardage). The Mankins-Pollard play was clearcut. I don't know what else of consequence there was. The Harbaugh/bench call was total bush-league, though I think he was totally full of it that he was trying to call a timeout, because there was no visual evidence that he was. Still, it wasn't worth calling, nor was it of real significance, as unlike all the calls in the Ravens favor, it was not a dramatic drive-extending call like the Ravens had in their favor - all night.

Every game is irrelevant when you have a significant portion of the poster population putting 100% of the blame on the zebras and assessing zero of it to the team for this game alone.

You are completely marginalizing what I'm saying. I'm not blaming the game on the officials 100%. The Patriots played well enough to win against a team with a similar level of talent that executed to a similar level, and officiating swung the balance. Either team could've won that game. The team that had an overwhelming number of calls in their favor did. That's really all there is to it.

Again, no matter what game, no matter the outcome, you can point to things the team did and say they could've done it better. That's a given. When the team loses, we point to those things and say that's why they lost. When they win in spite of these things, we never mention them and pretend they never happened.

Last edited:
It still should've been enough to win. What's the percentage of successfully killing the clock on those 4-minute situations? And what is it against the Ravens?

It was pretty obvious that the Patriots weren't attempting to kill the clock at that point. They were trying to score.

Again, the Patriots have failed to convert those situations plenty of times before and won the game, and deserved to win the game. You're taking it as a given that they should've been able to kill the clock. It's not.

No I wasn't. I'm saying that they were attempting to score to put the game away because the defense hadn't showed that it could stop Baltimore in the second half and that they simply couldn't execute.

Should the Patriots hand back their SB39 rings because the offense couldn't kill the clock vs. the Eagles? Were they undeserving of victory because of it?

This is, again, irrelevant to the topic at hand. However, since you mention it, the Patriots were up in the game. They were in the right coverage and McNabb threw a pick. The Patriots out executed the Eagles down the stretch. On the same token, there are games where the Pats have been out executed down the stretch and still won. Hence my "glad to get the win, but we need to tighten up on..." stance.

I can't think of three bad calls against the Ravens OTOH. Ngata is a maybe. The Welker/Webb illegal contact call was the right one (though, frankly, it could've been PI and given us more yardage). The Mankins-Pollard play was clearcut. I don't know what else of consequence there was. The Harbaugh/bench call was total bush-league, though I think he was totally full of it that he was trying to call a timeout, because there was no visual evidence that he was. Still, it wasn't worth calling, nor was it of real significance, as unlike all the calls in the Ravens favor, it was not a dramatic drive-extending call like the Ravens had in their favor - all night.

The non-call on Mankins was not clear cut. That was a late hit that should have been flagged for unnecessary roughness and all the refs got was the retailiation.

You are completely marginalizing what I'm saying. I'm not blaming the game on the officials 100%.

Sure you are. This thread's whole premise has been to blame the officials and extempt the team itself from any fault. While I agree that the officials were horrible and deserve their fair share of the blame for the game, the team shouldn't be exempt from not out-executing their opponents when they needed to.

The Patriots played well enough to win against a team with a similar level of talent that executed to a similar level, and officiating swung the balance. Either team could've won that game. The team that had an overwhelming number of calls in their favor did. That's really all there is to it.

1. The Ravens incurred more total penalties and more total penalty yardage while losing the T.O.P. battle.

2. The team with more total yards, more yards on the ground, and less sacks given up won the game. Coincidence?

Again, no matter what game, no matter the outcome, you can point to things the team did and say they could've done it better. That's a given. When the team loses, we point to those things and say that's why they lost. When they win in spite of these things, we never mention them and pretend they never happened.

Not true. Quite a few of us usually bring up things the team could have done better, execution-wise, even after a victory. You included. We're typically met with "SCOREBOARDZ!!1" type responses.

This debate sounds familiar, doesn't it? In the interest of not getting carpal tunnel, I'm going to go ahead and yield the last word to you. I let it go with Deus in the other thread as well even though I fundementally disagree with him (and you, for that matter) that the team shouldn't be faulted for allowing drives after bad calls that didn't go their way. You have the floor, I'll read your rebuttal, and then you'll be able to find me in the threads criticizing the coaches and play callers for the loss last night.

I wasn't on this before, but the recent video evidences shows conclusively that the field goal was no good. The Ravens are the ones who didn't deserve to win.

You have the floor, I'll read your rebuttal, and then you'll be able to find me in the threads criticizing the coaches and play callers for the loss last night.

Kontra - I think most of your points are fair, so I'll leave it at we'll agree to disagree. I just think the team executed well enough last night to chalk up a W on most nights.

My only other point would be that we did win the TO battle. Something to factor in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back