PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

When to start a new thread, and what to title it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-ShirtDynasty

Reaction score
Obviously, we're all excited as hell that football is finally here. We're all thrilled to see the new kids and the never-heard-of-befores. And we all wanna talk about it.

There's been some thread splintering that's sort of raised the ire of a few folks, and it does make it somewhat difficult to follow everyone's opinion, and obviously, everyone's opinion is important here.

Just my humble opinion, but I think it would be easier to follow everyone's thoughts, and keep peace during this exciting time if we followed just two tips:

1) Before you start a new thread, ask yourself if there's an existing thread, where the conversation that your opinion will spur, will blend or contrast the conversation that's already going on. For example, before you post your new "Cassel Sucks" thread, think about posting it instead, as an opposing viewpoint in the existing "Cassel is God" thread.

2) If you then feel that your topic doesn't blend with an existing thread, make sure to denote that fact with a specific thread title. What is the meat of your post that makes it different from the existing conversations? For example instead of making your title something generic like "My opinion..." or "So-and-so's official take on the game" chose something specific about your post to set it apart... "My synopsis: why the O-Line made the difference." That sort of thing.

This is just my opinion as a poster, it's got no official weight or anything. Feel free to tell me to shut the hell up. :cool:

edit... (sthu)

Last edited:
T-shirt: Nice contribution to reducing the 'noise' level and sharpening the discussion focus in this fine forum.

Last edited:
Shut the hell up! Actually I agree, way too much repeat info/threads going on. With all the new threads it's good to actually go to page 2 or 3 to make sure there isn't another topic. During the offseason you can have 2 or 3 days on page 1, now there is usually a few pages for one day.

Last edited:
I really really really wanted to start a new thread called WHAT TO TITLE A NEW THREAD, AND WHEN TO START IT, but I agree wholehearted with you.

Now that football is back (YEA!) we will see a lot more threads started. Hopefully not too many will be titled, WOW or AWESOME ROOKIE or WE NEED HELP HERE or other nondescriptive titles.

So many threads, so little time

I agree. I understand what it means to stay away from 'Chicken Little' threads after seeing the way this site gets clogged up.

I always sort of wonder why the technical threads like a game breakdown, or a roster analysis, always seem to get like 15 hits, but a chicken little thread gets 99 hits. It really seems to happen every time. People want to gossip, and hype or insult players, or grand-stand.

But put up a good technical analysis that we all could learn from, and everybody scatters............ :bricks:

give me a break - just when I'd been convinced of the benefit of 5 Cassel discussion threads someone's making a move to restore common sense?

Thank you, T-Shirt. I agree -- just my opinion.

I remember when the board had a totally different set-up and replies themselves were threaded. It was hell to follow, but we did get complex discussions going. This version makes it very easy to start threads -- which is great on one level, but it seems to me more fruitful if we have more of a back-and-forth discussion than a series of unrelated opinions.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
I agree. I understand what it means to stay away from 'Chicken Little' threads after seeing the way this site gets clogged up.

I always sort of wonder why the technical threads like a game breakdown, or a roster analysis, always seem to get like 15 hits, but a chicken little thread gets 99 hits. It really seems to happen every time. People want to gossip, and hype or insult players, or grand-stand.

But put up a good technical analysis that we all could learn from, and everybody scatters............ :bricks:

You're right, but there you are. Quality over quantity! It's those threads that people remember and appreciate.

So, as I understand it, instead of starting a thread about a really hot cheerleader, we should post it on the cheerleader thread that we have now?

Unless it's about specific cheerleaders doing something in a bathroom?

Is that correct?

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
So, as I understand it, instead of starting a thread about a really hot cheerleader, we should post it on the cheerleader thread that we have now.

Is that correct?

60,000 viewers can't be wrong ... ;)

Just a thought but now that we have a full compliment of supurb mods maybe some consistent thread merging would get the message across better than an un-stickied thread that will be on page 3 before the sun sets. After all quality mods by nature have very good common sense while so many posters by nature are tempted to defy common sense just to advance a contrary opinion. :D

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Obviously, we're all excited as hell that football is finally here. We're all thrilled to see the new kids and the never-heard-of-befores. And we all wanna talk about it.

There's been some thread splintering that's sort of raised the ire of a few folks, and it does make it somewhat difficult to follow everyone's opinion, and obviously, everyone's opinion is important here.

Just my humble opinion, but I think it would be easier to follow everyone's thoughts, and keep peace during this exciting time if we followed just two tips:

1) Before you start a new thread, ask yourself if there's an existing thread, where the conversation that your opinion will spur, will blend or contrast the conversation that's already going on. For example, before you post your new "Cassel Sucks" thread, think about posting it instead, as an opposing viewpoint in the existing "Cassel is God" thread.

2) If you then feel that your topic doesn't blend with an existing thread, make sure to denote that fact with a specific thread title. What is the meat of your post that makes it different from the existing conversations? For example instead of making your title something generic like "My opinion..." or "So-and-so's official take on the game" chose something specific about your post to set it apart... "My synopsis: why the O-Line made the difference." That sort of thing.

This is just my opinion as a poster, it's got no official weight or anything. Feel free to tell me to shut the hell up. :cool:

T-Shirt, I believe this is the 5th thread about how to start a thread.

Mods could you merge these!!!:eek: :D

T-ShirtDynasty said:

Seriously T-Shirt, thanks for stepping up to the plate.

There's a lot of football to talk about right now and there's going to be a lot more to talk about in the coming days.

Having everyone make an extra effort to keep the front page clean by minimizing duplicate threads will help ensure that everyone gets a chance to offer their opinion and that everyone gets to see the many diverse threads that other members have taken the time and trouble to post.

Last edited by a moderator:
NEM said:
Shut the hell up. (just kidding) Hey, IMO, is someone wants to start another thread on a subject thats been talked about, what's the big deal. This is an open, and free, forum for everyone to have their say, as long as it is not profane and doesnt , personally, attack another poster.

We have always had situations where there are numerous threads on a similar subject...so, whats the beig deal? Read some, dont read them, its yuor own choice....

And, on many occasions, there are those, including me, that dont see a previous topic on the board, for whatever reason...and we start another thread on it...if people want to respond to both, or one, or neither, that's their own perogative...

This is a fun forum, for all to enjoy, and for all to saya their piece....if its in a new thread, or an old one, who cares...not me.....

Live and let live, if we were all alike in here, it would be an awful boring place.

I totally agree NEM. I think people are a little too hyper-sensitive about starting threads. If someone starts a thread on a topic that has been discussed 5-times over, either don't respond and let the thread die, or refer people to the posts on a previous thread to reference. The posts *****ing people out about how someone started the same thread topic 2 days before are counterproductive in my opinion.

How to start a new thread and what to name it

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

Not a bad post.Is much as it pains me admit such.I tend to post on silly things.Though I try my best to bring some flavor to the table.It does make it tough to post with so many similar threads.

NEM said:
I dont like that flavor. It's too vanilla, Please try another one, maybe tutti frutti.

I don't like that one at all NEM..lets try a sherbet.

Yep, I'm a lot more likely to see a post if it's part of one long, focused thread than off in some repetitive splinter thread. (So NEM, that's why not to start lots of overlapping threads: if you actually want people to read them.)

But there are exceptions to all rules, so I'd like to propose this rider:

You can always start a separate thread when any member of the current roster shaves his eyebrows.

You are correct, sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes