PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

When the Pats go 4 wide...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: When the Pats go 4 wide.....

If you have a TE plus 4 wide who's doing the running that needs to be defended? Brady?

You simply drop 8 or 9 in coverage, and only allow the underneath routes. It can be defended.

Some pretty simplistic bullsh it, no? Offenses go empty backfield a lot nowadays, it's a common package. No one is saying there should be no running game, but the Patriots have utilized the empty backfield spread a lot in the last seven years.

Underneath routes can still kill you, especially when rushing two or three players against a five man line.

Some pretty simplistic bullsh it, no? Offenses go empty backfield a lot nowadays, it's a common package. No one is saying there should be no running game, but the Patriots have utilized the empty backfield spread a lot in the last seven years.

Underneath routes can still kill you, especially when rushing two or three players against a five man line.

Simplistic rebuttal too, no? My point is that the spread offense can be defended. You're right, it is a common package, the Pats didn't invent this, there is nothing magical about it. You can put personnel on the field to defend it.

I was responding to the silly premise of the post I quoted. Someone asked how to defend the run in an empty backfield set. Duh.

CJ has done nothing so far and has shown me nothing to believe he'll be anything more than Bethel Johnson. I hope he can prove me wrong. I think he has the tools and I'm trying to be as optimistic as possible on him.

IF CJ ever is able to really produce, it is indeed a scary set of receivers (including Watson). But we all must remember that all it takes to take these receivers out of the game is a strong pass rush. Look no further than to against the Colts. For almost three quarters the Colts were consistently getting a good pass rush and, as a result, our receivers were unable to produce at the level they're capable of.

But yah, I agree. It's a scary set of receivers we have.

Guys, in case you haven't noticed, if you line up inside which is what you would have to do in a 4 wide spread, speed is not all that important. Look at how much Welker is contributing and I would love to see his 40 next to CJ's. I honestly don't think CJ brings anything at all to this team except to spell Donte and figure out if we should resign him. I completely agree with xxMarkd400x

Jackson played in the slot at Florida. He's not just an outside receiver. I'd love to see him run a corner route out of the slot while Stallworth runs a deep in and Moss runs a fly down the opposite sideline while Welker does a drag to pull the linebackers up, so I could watch the DB's lose their minds.

Last edited:
It could get even scarier.

You could have Moss, Stall and Jackson stretching the field vertically and Welker in his usual slot spot.

If Jackson is back to full health, Am I the only one that finds this scary?

It would be a truly awesome set. I'm eagerly awaiting Jacksons unveiling. Hopefully he'll be 100% and we can finally get a good idea of what he brings to the table.

If you have a TE plus 4 wide who's doing the running that needs to be defended? Brady?

You simply drop 8 or 9 in coverage, and only allow the underneath routes. It can be defended.
I realized that right after I posted. You got me there.
It could be Brady's first 100-yard game, though! :eek:

It could get even scarier.

You could have Moss, Stall and Jackson stretching the field vertically and Welker in his usual slot spot.

If Jackson is back to full health, Am I the only one that finds this scary?

I'm with you on this 100%. Chad Jackson is ready to break out. Can you imagine those 4 on the field at the same time. That has to go down as the most talented and lethal 4 WRS ever trotted out in the same uniform on the line of scrimmage in the history of the league. Talk about a pinball machine.

I read an article about how bad Chad is itching to get out on the field, he's been practicing his tail off and he's ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, in case you haven't noticed, if you line up inside which is what you would have to do in a 4 wide spread, speed is not all that important. Look at how much Welker is contributing and I would love to see his 40 next to CJ's. I honestly don't think CJ brings anything at all to this team except to spell Donte and figure out if we should resign him. I completely agree with xxMarkd400x

I think the bigger point is that Chad Jackson is injury insurance. No football team is without injuries, and right now an injury to (say) Moss would be a big dent in our confidence going forward. We obviously don't need CJ in order to win the games coming up, with our current roster, but what if one of the big 3 WRs go down? Jabar Gaffney?

I think that's the real important thing here, insurance.

i believe so, yes...and i wouldnt mind the cap space either

Just like you can never be too thin or too rich, or have too much memory, or have too many golf balls, you cannot have too many WRs of this caliber on your roster.

And I simply don't get this argument that the Pats have to get rid of Stallworth so they can have the cap room. Pray tell, what are you going to spend it on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back