Welcome to PatsFans.com

When The Levees Broke: Spike Lee

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by scout, Aug 23, 2006.

1. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Just watched Spike Lee's documentary on HBO concerning Hurricane Katrina. I know we talked about this at great lengths, but after seeing this again I just had to make comment. This injustice of our government has to be the biggest embarrassment since the mass racial killings in our early history. I'm not saying this was racially motivated, but clearly, when the biggest natural disasters in our life time happens and the President of the United States doesn't respond for four days, that's horrific. The one bright spot concerning any agency was the Coast Guard. Who ever was in charge, said the heck with regulations (pilots are required to fly a max. of 8 hrs) and those helicopters flew for up to 16 straight hours. This was life and death, and in those times, you break the rules. A thing Bush knows about, sadly this wasn't on his agenda. I do recall someone not/or being delayed a promotion from the Coast Guard after Katrina. That would be par for the course. Of course, Katrina is not over, there are trailers sitting empty and FEMA has not been tested lately. Just a heck-of-a-job.
  2. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

As a fairly experienced airplane pilot (2000 hrs) I can say that 16 hours of that sort of flying is like 30-40 hours at almost anything else. Most of the time a pilot is just sitting there waiting for something to break. Not so in a Helicopter. Its a royal pain just to hover in place, let alone haul up some terrified/injured flood victim.
  3. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +134 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

The same person who is charge of the Coast Guard is in charge of FEMA.

Michael Chertoff

I'm sure Spike was fair in his treatment of this subject matter. Didn't he have a white guy killing Malcolm X in his movie?
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +550 / 2 / -9

SPIKE LEE :singing: :singing:

Tub of sh!t Michael Moore has more credibility than Lee.

Spike Lee is one of America's leading Racist Bigots, he is a "Black Nazi"

Spike Lee :bricks:
  5. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

No, he didn't.
  6. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +550 / 2 / -9

He wished he could have.
  7. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Evidently, Harry and FTW didn't see the show. As for Michael Chertoff, your kidding right? How about some logic. Lets see, he says to the Coast Guard, cut all the red tape, do everything in your power to save lives. Then turns to Brownie and says, don't do anything for five days......well, ok you can roll up your sleeves, it will look better.
  8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +550 / 2 / -9

The United States Of America and President GW Bush didn't do anything because those people were "BLACK" isn that what the Racist Lee is saying.

BULLSH!T
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +438 / 5 / -2

Government response aside, how about some individual accountability here? If any of you are truly relying on the government to save your ass then it's your fault. Sure the federal govt. response was lack luster, but how about the local and state government? Why is it that they get a free ride? In any case, people need to be aco****able for themselves. When ur dead, blaming Bush won't get you much. The warnings were there for days, yet people ignored them and stayed home. Well, too bad. If the weather says we're getting 20 feet of snow tommorow, and that ur roof very well might cave in so leave, who's fault is it if I stay?

To me, there are too many "dependents" in this country. There are far too many welfare agencies, while there's far too little personal accountability. FEMA has always been a joke. The US govt has always been inefficient. I laughed when Bush threw a $60 billion blank check at Katrina. Total waste of money. Were it up to me I'd have flattened the city, built a landfill, and moved New Olreans to higher ground. Instead for $60 billion of relief funding, we probably got 10 cents on the dollar. The beauty of it all is that the pols and people who screamed for cash, were the first to act appalled when all the fleecing was exposed. HA! Commical. Bottom line? Take care of yourself, I do.

PS, Spike Lee "documentary". Isn't that an oxymoron?

Excerpt:

Over the years, Lee has made political contributions to a handful of candidates, all Democrats. These include Hillary Rodham Clinton, Bill Bradley, Harvey Gantt, and Ronald Kirk.

In October 2005, reports surfaced that Lee would be making a movie for HBO entitled When the Levee Broke -- a reference to the devastating floods of Hurricane Katrina that had engulfed New Orleans the previous month. While details on the film's eventual content were sparse, Lee made it clear that he was in accordance with some other notable leftists who charged that President Bush had not dispatched federal aid workers to Louisiana more quickly because so many of the victims were black. Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan went so far as to state, "I heard from a very reliable source, who saw a 25-foot deep crater under the levee breach. It may have been blown up [by the government] to destroy the black part of town and keep the white part dry." When Spike Lee was asked by CNN anchorwoman Daryn Kagan whether he believed the government had purposefully allowed blacks to drown or be rendered homeless, he replied, "It's not too far-fetched … I don't put anything past the United States government. I don't find it too far-fetched that they tried to displace all the black people out of New Orleans."

Sure. His flick is a documentary. Just like Farenhype 411 was.

No thanks, I'll pass.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2005
  10. Mainefan

Mainefan Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I cannot take seriously any comments, positive or negative, about a film without having personally seen it themselves. All you're doing is revealing your prejudices.

Remember the pre-opening comments about Oliver Stone's World Trade Center movie? He was condemned in 15 different ways by people who hadn't seen it yet. But when it opened, everyone--right and left--was full of praise.

See it--then slam it or praise it, depending on what you think. But don't pre-judge it.
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +438 / 5 / -2

Maine, I'd agree 90% of the time. However, when someone gives credibility to Farkahn saaying that the government (George Bush himself I'm sure, he swears he saw him there!) put a bomb under one of the levees during Katrina, I can't take it seriously. PERIOD.
  12. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Couple of quick thoughts.

1. Spike Lee is a jackass (suing Spike TV for using his "likeness"?) But it doesn't mean he can't make a good movie about Katrina.

2. Personal responsibility IS what it comes down to, but consider two mitigating factors. First, the levees weren't supposed to break. It wasn't the storm that killed most of the people, it was the wall of water from the breach. Those levees were built and maintained by the US Army Corps of Enginers. In effect, what you have is a faulty product with no warning. And second (and this doesn't make the federal government culpable, but it certainly makes it harder to ask "well, why the hell didn't you get out), the people there are poor. Where can they go? It's not like they can buy plane tickets and head down to Florida for the week while the storm passes. They were, literally, trapped.
  13. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +134 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

Like it or not Michael Chertoff is in charge of both the Coast Guard and FEMA, both are in the Department of Homeland Security! I know that it shoots holes through your "the white people broke the levees stories", but it is the truth!
  14. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Not sure what your talking about. One, I wrote that I didn't think it was racially motivated. Two, you really want to give Chertoff credit for the Coat Guard's initiative due to being in the same agency?
    Real World, the point I was making concerning Bush, is that he failed to see the problem. Yes, Mayor Nagen failed as did the Gov. of La. At what point does someone in charge say these people need my help. For a President who has made it a habit of breaking laws and denouncing court decisions (Schiavo), you would think he would step in sooner then 4-5 days. Only after aids made him a video of the situation did he get involved. As for the show, Spike's only clip of Bush was when he congratulated Brownie of a good job. Then again, don't take my word for it, watch for yourself.
  15. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +161 / 7 / -13

Haven't seen the film so I won't comment on it. A couple of comments though. The levee's were rated for a cat 3 storm. not a cat 5.

Why wasn't the city evacuated? why weren't the school buses used to evacuate residents tahter than left ot be underwater?

The Feds could have reacted better after the fact but the govenor and mayor through their incompetence made a bad situation much worse. The gov controls the national guard, and has to power to order an evacuation of the city. Hopefully the film will deal with the malfeseance of the officals in La and NO and not just the feds. My guess is that only the reaction of the feds will be dealt with.

Look at the job done in places like FL (many hurricanes to deal with) Miss (dealt with the worst part of the storm, and Ala. All didn't have the clusterf*** that NO had.
  16. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

There is no comparison to Fl hurricanes, unless your talking specifically about Andrew. No other hurricane produced the flooding of New Orleans. How anyone could compare any other area to the New Orleans fiasco is beyond me. Kind of like comparing the first WTC bombing to 9/11. The show was based on interviews of people in New Orleans with hardly a question being asked. The major place of blame went to the Army Corps of Engineers (rightfully so). For instance, the floods were a result of a cat 1 storm backing up the lake which caused the break. FEMA, was probably next in line, although, the show really wasn't about placing blame as it was hearing about people's plight. For instance, the actor who has a role in "The Wire". He discussed his father's plight concerning the insurance agency who basically scammed his father using a catch-22 scenario. People who tried to flee across the bridge who then faced officers with guns forcing them back. This was basically denied by the Assistant Gov. The Chief of Police also apologized for his spreading of rumors. In light of his predicament, I really can't fault him, although he was wrong.
  17. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +161 / 7 / -13

I remember an older woman who was at the Astrodome after the strom, she was asked by the reporter about the levee's (he house was flooded) she blamed the local officals saying the money had be allocated to fix upgrade the levee but the local pols spent the money on other things.

Is this alluded to in the film?
  18. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Yes it was. Can't remember exactly what was said as the show was in four parts. They had some pretty interesting interviews concerning the levees. Even showing the levees systems over in the Netherlands, which were built like Fort Knox. One other really interesting tidbit which I wasn't aware of, was the profits from all the oil drilling. In every state where there is oil exploration, the state recieves some percentage of profits, except New Orleans/La? What a lot of people were saying, was just give us what is ours. I'm sure there is a rebuttal some where, but it sounded unfair. I'll prob. watch it again so I can explain with more detail.
  19. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +890 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

How can anyone take a NY Knicks fan seriously?

I mean the Knicks? Isn't Spike Lee supposed to be intelligent?

Spike Lee is an [​IMG]
  20. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Originally Posted by FreeTedWilliams
    ... Didn't he have a white guy killing Malcolm X in his movie?

Turk - No, he didn't.

How do you know this?
    It could only be that:
    1. You are intimate with him to a degree where you know
    his thoughts, his wishes.
    2. You are talking out of your arse.
    3. Both of the above.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2006