PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

When the Game was tied at 14, why did Belicheck decide to kick a FG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My problem with that was the Eagles were gaining more and more confidence as the game went on and to kick a FG there just gave the defense more confidence. You go for it on 4th and 6 and scored a TD, the Eagles Defense is no longer feeling god about themselves. Glad they got the win but I just didn't expect a close game

The answers that you see regarding the field goal are right on. In a close game, attempt the high percentage field goal.

Yes the Eagles were gaining confidence. In fact they had so much confidence that it took them to a radical departure from their game plan and cost them their composure. Not only was their last play in the Pats red zone a horrible call by the coaching staff, it was a stupid throw by Feeley. After having great success throwing zippy darts to the middle, he elected to toss a floater to a receiver on a fade route where Asante was in coverage.

OTOH the Pats never lost their composure, played within their game plan and didn't panic. The Pats started the game wearing the uniforms of a champion and finished that way. The Eagles played a great game spurred by veteran leadership. Unfortunately for them it was only for 57 minutes.

I'm still confused as to why on earth the OP believes any coach in the universe would go for it on 4th and 6 in a tie game in that situation. Wasn't that the drive that Moss got called for the BS PI?

When I hear Tom Brady say on a radio show-"We go out and try to kill people" It just didn't match the FG attempt I was watching on the Field. I expected them to play like a 10-0 team who have already won their division, probably home field advantage. Not a team who is in the WILDCARD HUNT

Are you being serious? (honest question)

Do you watch football, and if you do, do you pay attention at all?? (honest question)

Are you being serious? (honest question)

Do you watch football, and if you do, do you pay attention at all?? (honest question)

Yes and I paid attention to everything, like BB getting concerned during the game instead of maintaining a look of confidence

Yes and I paid attention to everything, like BB getting concerned during the game instead of maintaining a look of confidence

WTF are you talking about? Do you know anything about football? In all seriousness. Taking the lead in a tie game is "getting concerned"? You are hilarious. It's smart football, pretty much common sense football actually.

4th and 5, tie game in the 2nd quarter. You take the FG each and every time... FOREVER

Or is this like last year's "Brady's body language" crap

Last edited:

I'd say he had reason to be concerned when the Eagles were moving the ball very well against the Pats.

Would you have went for the first down if you were the HC?

As for confidence, it doesn't enter into. Going for the first down there isn't confidence, it's bravado. Going for the first when you're up by 35 in the 4th quarter isn't risking anything. If you can't see the difference, I don't think anything I could say would convince you!

Keep watching games, okay?

WTF are you talking about? Do you know anything about football? In all seriousness. Taking the lead in a tie game is "getting concerned"? You are hilarious. It's smart football, pretty much common sense football actually.

4th and 5, tie game in the 2nd quarter. You take the FG each and every time... FOREVER

Or is this like last year's "Brady's body language" crap

Going for the FG was fine, I just don' want him to make himself look stupid and go for it on 4th down when his team is winning by 30 again in one of the upcoming games. See by BB going for it when he was blowing teams out, a lot of people expected him to do the same thing when the game was tied. So it was nothing wrong with kicking the FG, he just gave me the impression last week at his press conference that he had no interest in ever KICKING FG'S unless it was a extra point.

Going for the FG was fine, I just don' want him to make himself look stupid and go for it on 4th down when his team is winning by 30 again in one of the upcoming games. See by BB going for it when he was blowing teams out, a lot of people expected him to do the same thing when the game was tied.[\b] So it was nothing wrong with kicking the FG, he just gave me the impression last week at his press conference that he had no interest in ever KICKING FG'S unless it was a extra point.

The only people who expected that are idiots or those who know nothing about the game of football. BB has said in press conferences he doesn't like kicking the FG with a big lead. Maybe if you took your bias away and thought a little you'd admit that he's right. Going for it on 4th down is not simply "going for the TD". It's trying to get a damn first down and keep the clock ticking, letting the other time keep some pride by giving them the ability to stop you and allow 0 points.

BUT I will say it again for you to ignore, nice and loud.... A FIELD GOAL IN THE NFL IS ONLY GOOD FOR WHEN A TEAM NEEDS POINTS. WHEN YOU HAVE A BIG LEAD YOU DO NOT NEED POINTS. WHEN THE GAME IS TIED YOU NEED POINTS.

It's not friggin rocket science, it's not contradiction, it's nothing but common sense (which is funny because common sense isn't so common).

Some Sports Talk Radio Hosts here in Philly Felt the same Way

Then they were probably just trying to stir the pot a little (like some poster named SportsAnalyzer, I suspect). If you think about it for just a second, it makes all the sense in the world to kick the FG, and no sense to go for the first down.

When they did go for it on a 4th down later in the game, it would have been too long for Gostkowski, and they wouldn't have gained much field position by punting. And how did that 4th down attempt work out, I ask you? The Eagles stopped the Pats there, so maybe kicking the FG in the first scenario wasn't such a bad idea, huh?

And the reason why it makes sense to go for it with a big lead late in the game is because a FG just adds meaningless points. A fourth down attempt gives the other team a chance to regain the ball, and kills clock besides.

I just don' want him to make himself look stupid and go for it on 4th down when his team is winning by 30 again in one of the upcoming games.
Believe me, he'll go for it on 4th down when they're up by 30+ again. Whether that makes him look stupid or smart is entirely subjective, but I like seeing it.

sigh. I cant believe I just spent the last 5 minutes reading through this thread. I will never get those 5 minutes back.

Seriously, logic just doesnt seem to register with some.

Did you just wake up or are you this stupid ? It's been answered. Going for it on 4th down allows the defense to stop us. Kicking a FG doesn't.

Then why go for it on 4th down when you are up 35?

Are you STILL STUPID? Why would the Patriots want to "allow the defense to stop us" when the game is tied? Since "Kicking a field goal doesn't (allow the defense to stop us)"... Belichick goes for the sure points and kicks the field goal.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND US NOW?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

The way a coach, a quarterback or anyone else "looks" during the game mean NOTHING. They only thing that DOES matter is the score at the end of the game. So as Patriots fans, we are rejoicing in ANOTHER victory and now stand at 11-0.

Whether you are an Eagles fan or just some loser who just wants to see the Patriots lose....

ONCE AGAIN, IT'S TOUGH S**T FOR YOU!!:D

P.S. My guess is you can hardly wait for next Monday night's Pats/Ravens game to see if the Patriots might lose. I hope you stick around to watch all 19 Patriots wins this year!:D

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SportsAnalyzer
Then why go for it on 4th down when you are up 35?

Because your enemy when you are up by 35 is the CLOCK; not the opposing team. Going on 4th down allows you to continue to own the ball and run the clock.

When you are tied the enemy is the opposing team and you want any score that puts them into a desperate position to HAVE TO MOVE THE BALL AND SCORE;...............

that makes them do stupid things like throwing INTs.

Going for the FG was fine, I just don' want him to make himself look stupid and go for it on 4th down when his team is winning by 30 again in one of the upcoming games. See by BB going for it when he was blowing teams out, a lot of people expected him to do the same thing when the game was tied. So it was nothing wrong with kicking the FG, he just gave me the impression last week at his press conference that he had no interest in ever KICKING FG'S unless it was a extra point.

Well, then you must admit "...a lot of people..." are very stupid!

I hope you see that nothing you've said here is logical while going for a 1st down on 4th down with the game out of reach makes all the sense in the world.

I would like to remind you that these "a lot of people" you refer to just want to see the Patriots lose. So it would only make sense that the opinions of these people are not in the best interest of the Patriots. Basically, they are haters & jealous losers...Gee SportsAnalyzer, I hope you're not one of them!

The way a coach, a quarterback or anyone else "looks" during the game mean NOTHING. They only thing that DOES matter is the score at the end of the game. So as Patriots fans, we are rejoicing in ANOTHER victory and now stand at 11-0.

Whether you are an Eagles fan or just some loser who just wants to see the Patriots lose....

ONCE AGAIN, IT'S TOUGH S**T FOR YOU!!:D

P.S. My guess is you can hardly wait for next Monday night's Pats/Ravens game to see if the Patriots might lose. I hope you stick around to watch all 19 Patriots wins this year!:D

I don't know how you think I'm a Eagles fan when I'm asking why the Pats were not more agressive on 4th down. I always hated the Eagles and wanted them to lose 68-0 which is why that game was so frustrating to me, especially since Mcnabb was out

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back