Welcome to PatsFans.com

When the Game was tied at 14, why did Belicheck decide to kick a FG?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by SportsAnalyzer, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

Or use the time to get some work in and give some backup RBs and others a chance to get some time in. This A) Takes time off the clock, which a FG doesn't, B) Gets more game time experience in for different players and C) Prepares the players for the time when they have to play solidly for a full 4 quarters like oh, say LAST NIGHT.

I would say that all of these reasons slightly outweigh the feelings of crappy teams and the sensitivity of whiny fans like yourself.

2. emoney_33

emoney_33 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Kill time off the clock and keep good field position to not allow a quick score. On 4th down you can't kill time off the clock unless you get a first. And in your own territory you never want to just hand the other team an easy opportunity, anything can happen in the NFL.

It's really basic friggin common sense. Not to mention that it is not a damn sin to TRY things out in certain parts of games.

I take back my original statement though. As with anything there are exceptions, kicking a field goal could be used in a blowout in circumstances where you feel your kicker needs to get that work in a game situation at that time. Oh and if Flutie is getting a drop kick too :).

Oh and how did they get to that 4th down? They must have ran 3 friggin plays before that. If they fail 3 times in a row why is it a foregone conclusion that they will succeed the fourth time? In the first game against buffalo they stopped us on 4th down late in the game and got the ball back. The other teams that don't stop us, tough ****, where's your pride, step up.

3. emoney_33

emoney_33 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

What was it like 4th and 6 when the pats kicked the FG? I don't remember the eagles going for it on anything but 4th and 1?

4. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +958 / 7 / -14

#75 Jersey

Because it looked like a close game and the three points might matter.

Might I add Duh!

5. SportsAnalyzer

SportsAnalyzer Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My problem with that was the Eagles were gaining more and more confidence as the game went on and to kick a FG there just gave the defense more confidence. You go for it on 4th and 6 and scored a TD, the Eagles Defense is no longer feeling god about themselves. Glad they got the win but I just didn't expect a close game

6. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +958 / 7 / -14

#75 Jersey

I agree. Plus he's only been advising for seven posts. I like seasoned sports advice.

7. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

So this wasn't a "running up the score" post it was a strategic critique of BB for not going for a TD instead of a FG at a crucial point in the game? And the Pats won? Brilliant analysis. I can see now why you had to sign up for this site after last night's game just to bless us with this insight. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  8. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +958 / 7 / -14

#75 Jersey

The Eagles felt they needed to gamble to beat us. We felt we'd win eventually.

The Eagles lost because Feeley was in gambling mode and threw a terribly risky pass.

We won because we played a consistent game which included going for the points and conservative passes rather than gambling.

I'd like to educate you further, but as a professional from National Sports Advisers and Analyzers, I have to bill you if I give you any more instruction.

9. SportsAnalyzer

SportsAnalyzer Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

When I hear Tom Brady say on a radio show-"We go out and try to kill people" It just didn't match the FG attempt I was watching on the Field. I expected them to play like a 10-0 team who have already won their division, probably home field advantage. Not a team who is in the WILDCARD HUNT

10. TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0

That's the sportsmanlike thing to do - give the opponent the opportunity to stop you by their own efforts. And if they don't, you continue to run down the clock to end the game.

11. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +958 / 7 / -14

#75 Jersey

How does going from being tied to being behind give one confidence?

12. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +958 / 7 / -14

#75 Jersey

That's why they are the best.

13. SportsAnalyzer

SportsAnalyzer Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I said that a defense has LESS CONFIDENCE when they give up TD's but when they force a offense to kick FG's, they feel Good about what they have done mainly because 7 is more than 3

14. Lampshade

Lampshade Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

the only explanation I can come up with is that this thread is not real, and in fact is a figment of my imagination, brought about by that mouldy pancake I ate earlier. If this thread does exist, I fear for the sanity of the rest of the world.

15. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

Well I'd say you have to actually ensure a win before you can "kill" a team.

16. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

You'd think a defense has less confidence when they are .500 and facing a team who won 56-10 the week before, but apparently the Eagles didn't feel the same way. And it wasn't the Eagles defense the Pats were having problems with. It was their offense and our Defense.

17. LurkingLinebacker

LurkingLinebacker Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

If they don't score at all then that defense (as well as the offense to some extent) is very fired up.

Especially, since they might have stopped a team that only has the best offense in the league.

I'm aware that it's a lot of "ifs" but that is what this thread is based on.

Very few people expected it to be a close game, but in a close game a team ought to try and score in the most efficient way possible, in this case I'd take the chance of 3 over a less-than-guaranteed 7

18. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I think you should run an NFL football team so you can have a chance to match wits with Belichick.

19. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

No! I want the Pats to remain undefeated!

20. SportsAnalyzer

SportsAnalyzer Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Exactly, which is why I was surprised they didn't go for it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.