Welcome to PatsFans.com

When Public Unions & Politicians Negotiate...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Feb 3, 2012.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

Who is looking out for the tax payers? Yes, I realize our representative are "supposed" to be looking out for tax payers more than union employees, but I doubt they are.

After all, public unions represent a very large and powerful voter group that can mobilize voters for support of their "chosen" candidate.

Do you honestly believe they have tax payers' interests in mind?

The process is wrong and needs to change.

Case in point: Providence RI

Mayor: Providence is facing bankruptcy

http://www.wpri.com/dpp/news/local_...vidence-mayor-angel-taveras-budget-crisis-nek

"Taveras's office released a list showing that the city's highest-paid pensioner, former Fire Chief Gilbert McLaughlin, now receives an annual pension of $196,813 a year. He retired with an annual salary of $63,510. At the current rate of growth, McLaughlin's pension will total roughly $796,871 if he lives to the age of 100."

How can a firefighter who made $63K have a pension of $197K with a built-in annual raise of 5%?

Answer: Unions "negotiated" the deal and old corrupt loser Buddy Cianci signed, sealed and delivered it!
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +440 / 5 / -2

I hope they go bankrupt. The numbers are just outrageous. There is no way a sane person can defend that pension payout. It's just absurd.

To answer your question, no one is looking out for the taxpayer. Politicians don't care about the money for the most part, because it's not their own. Of course, this all plays into the very question of why we even need public employee unions.

California is another place where the pension system is going to implode. I was watching Kudlow the other night and some pundit was on their saying how the state was billions in the hole, and only getting a 1% return when their fund is based on a 7.5% projection. Ouch.
  3. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

As long as they don't try to get California tax payers to cover the shortfall, it's ok. That nutty state can't afford another tax increase. Currently, Cali residents pay a 10% state income tax.

Oh yeah...the funny part is that Cali politicians have said this tax is "temporary"! :rofl:
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +440 / 5 / -2

Who do you honestly think is going to get stuck with funding the state pension shortfall PR? Of course it's going to be the taxpayers. I personally don't care so long as they don't get a penny of federal taxpayer money.
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

The unions in providence, especially the firefighters union have been completely unreasonable.

When Cicilline was mayor, they tried to negotiate some givebacks, and Cicilline caught hell at every corner he took... they picketed every event he attended, and at one point Hillary refused to come to Providence because of this labor strife.

I think the Prov. Firefighters get something like a 6% COLA... it is really absurd.

A lot of this groundwork was laid in some of the previous corrupt administrations, and now it is time to pay the piper.
  6. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

That's sad...I mean that sincerely. And I don't feel it's a democratic issue as politicians on both sides have been guilty of this.

All politicians have too much incentive to bend for union worker and get their support. I think it's time to hold them accountable...Rhode Islanders can't afford to be left holding the bill.

Even sadder is the fact that the average Jane & Joe public sector worker end up being victims. A select few reap the rewards...as usual.
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

IN RI one of our towns is in receivership, Central Falls, and they cut the pensions, salaries and services mightily.. they are doing a little better, but it is not that significant.

What is interesting about this, is the cost of receivorship... more political atta boys.

Not sure how the rest of the world works, but in RI the first rule to become a judge is to be a insider politician... Flanders meets the criteria.

Broke City's Lawmakers: RI Must Pay Receiver's Tab - ABC News

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  8. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

Ha! Yeah right....fix corruption with more corruption. Someone needs to give some of these people a few dope-slaps...seriously.

Flanders would be my first choice.
  9. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

Yeah, I don't care either as long as the states that are effed up charge THEIR tax payers and our federal gov't doesn't end up bailing them out.

When government and unions make deals too sweet to be true and it come crashing down, it should never, EVER fall upon the tax payers.