Welcome to PatsFans.com

When logged on to the CARS system...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by mcgraw_wv, Aug 4, 2009.

1. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Extremely troubling information about the CARS system.

Source: Reason and Liberty CARS system owns dealership computers???

I wanted to bold the important parts... but then I would have to bold the whole damn thing.

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

If Glenn Beck is whining, probably hysteria or a lie.. but all the lonely sheeple do not vette their sources.. keep on believing..

Here is an easy answer, do not participate in the cash for clunkers program..

In the midst there is some sanity..

PolitiFact | On Glenn Beck's Fox News program, Guilfoyle claims government's Cash for Clunkers Web site would give government complete access to your home computer

3. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Of course, they needed to find a negative angle so they just made one up. Pretty standard IMO.

4. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I actually first heard it on Judge Napalotons show, and found the Glenn beck article for reference.

I did mention that it was only for Dealerships.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  5. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Cash for clunkers DOES NOT WORK.
    Let me repeat that, it DID NOTHING NEAR what it was supposed to do.

Cash for Clunkers is nothing but a subsides for car manufactures.... Poor people did not just go out and get new cars, People nearing foreclosure did not go out and get new cars....

On top of that, these trade in vehicles MUST be destroyed which artificially manipulates the used car market, the market that poor people, and people in need depend on.

What is the net effect once the next 2 billion dollars is run through?

The INSANE part about this is, they took OUR MONEY, Tax money, and funnel it through this program in order to artificially show profits for car manufacturers, so they can artificially prop up a business in which the free market has deemed bloated.

Tell me, what is this program supposed to do, and how does it achieve that long term beyond a quick new toy for the upper middle class to play with? And 6 months of operating income for car manufactures who can't turn profits? What happens after that?

I do not know anyone who in these times has bought a new car... and im middle class.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +515 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

The perception is it worked because it sold a lot of cars.

But most of them were from foreign companies (although some of those may have been built here). The energy usage reduction is likely negligible as many people will drive more miles with better efficiency (just like they do when gas prices go down). And we may have borrowed car sales from the future as some people who may have been planning to buy just moved up the schedule.

Meanwhile, the taxpayers get to pay $1B (soon to be $3B) for a select group to buy new toys.

7. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Try to understand these numbers...

The CARS system is already out of their 1 billion dollars becuase so many people have traded in their cards to recieve their 4500.00 voucher.

That's roughly 223,000 vouchers given out.

The most popular car purchase after through this program is the Ford Focus, the brand does not matter, but we will use the low advertised price of a Ford Focus as our base number.

2009 Ford Focus: 14k - 16k
    2009 Ford Focus Reviews, Pictures and Prices - U.S. News Rankings and Reviews

14,000 - 4500 = 9,500.00

Times number of units sold of 223,000 = 2,118,500,000 in additional Consumer DEBT!

Add in another 2 billion in government subsides, 4,237,000,000.

The total CARS result is 6,355,500,000 in additional consumer debt.

What does this really mean for the economy?

It means the economy has an additional 6 billion in debt it has to work through it's system, and that's 6 billion dollars that would not naturally go into the market through the the next few years.

The end result of this program is a much deeper hole and climb out of what we've been trying to get out of.

8. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Fixed it for you. Essentially it took my tax dollars and helped pay for my neighbor to upgrade his minivan to a Lexus....More power to him but why should I foot the bill???

9. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

This is what happens when Republicans stop playing the national security card.

10. ljuneau

ljuneau Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Isn't it a great plan? We're all required to pay taxes so we can help pay for a small number of fellow citizens obtain a brand spankin new automobile. And I get to continue to drive around in my 11-year old car - at least mine is paid for.

11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

Duh, this is what is was supposed to do.. stimulate the auto industry which employs about 1 in 6 americans... this can be extrapolated into some of these folks who were about to loose their jobs will not...

But you forget that this thread is about Glenn Beck and his lies and hysteria... do yourself a big favor, if Beck says something check it out first..

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  12. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

But it didn't stimulate the Auto Industry, it simply married government kickback with jobs now.

Just like oil and farming, now the government will feel as it has to continue to fund the auto industry in order to maintain jobs, and innovation, etc..

This did nothing but filter money into hands of big wig auto manufactures, and in 6 months, will be right back in the same situation... Then what?

Why, and when can we expect real solutions, and real accountability with our tax money? Long Term solutions that make the Economy and America stronger.

13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I agree 100%. Good post.

This program is lazy and unimaginative. I'm sick of gutless decisions like this being used as a band-aid for our huge economic problems. When this program ends, which it should, can we please get back to finding more efficient engines and energy sources PLEASE ?

14. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

On top of, the worst part of it all.

The government takes 3 billion tax money, to enable 6 billion in new consumer debt.

What about that sounds like "Making the economy stronger"?

15. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

You mean at a time when we're supposed to be encouraging savings ( national savings are at the lowest levels in half a century)this program encourages taking on new debt......Think about it, when you're driving around in your PAID OFF auto, you're not paying $200-600 per month that can be used for other things as opposed to going into the coffers of a foreign corporation and increasing US personal debt(by buying a new car on credit)..... It may be helping the auto industry short term but there are other better LONG term solutions..

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  16. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Sure its a band aid, but that's how you stop bleeding.

When you have a building on fire the first thing you have to do is dump water on it. Then you can make the kinds of structural changes that will keep it from burning again.

17. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +515 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

The point is that it's a backdoor way to subsidize the auto industry even further without using the "B" word. The effect on the environment will be negligible if positive at all (I still think people with new cars will drive more, offsetting the better mileage). And as others have said, it just puts a lot of people further in debt. Even with $3,500 or $4,500 off cars are really expensive, I have a 10 year old car and would like to replace it but even with a good income the idea of dumping $20K+ into a new car has me planning on keeping my car for another 5-10 years. We keep hearing how no-one has any money - I guess a lot of people have $15K+ :confused: